Page 59 of 94 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Sepia 911S

A Simple Porsche Pleasure

Last Sunday, the 911 competed in a Chicago PCA concours at a shopping mall. A young man came up and looked at the car, left, came back, left again, and came back again. There was a passion and a dream there.

Mark had just graduated from engineering school, is starting his first real job, and found an early 911 to restore. He was enthusiastic and eager to start his Porsche journey, knew it would be expensive, and it would take a long time. He asked many questions, had found the forums on Pelican but not the Registry. He entered the information I shared with him on his cell. It was a delight to talk with him.

He then returned one more time, shook my hand, and quietly stood and looked at the little brown car. I know that simple pleasure. Quietly, I will gaze at my car and just let my thoughts wander.
    Last edited by Sepia911S; 07-04-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

What a great story Candyce.
    S Registry#2021

you aren't the only one to do that candyce, I can assure you!

Justin

A Simple Porsche Pleasure

Isn't it amazing when you see yourself in another person and you have a common link ... quirky German cars with so many stories to tell?
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Road America Vintage Race 2014

The little brown car will be at Road America on the Concours Saturday night. If you are there, stop and say hello.

This was always my favorite race of the season,
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

An Embarrassing, Annoying, Honking Horn

Name:  IMG_1520.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  121.5 KB

On the way to RA, the car drove beautifully. It was awesome. Picked up my sister and headed up Rt. 45 to Elkhart Lake. Suddenly, the horn starts honking. Kathy yelled, "What are you doing? Don't touch the horn!" It wasn't me. The horn wouldn't stop. If you jiggled it, it felt a bit loose but I wasn't sure. If you held up either side, it would stop. But, it is really difficult to turn using only one hand while your finger is stuck between the horn and the wheel.

While I was fiddling with the horn, my goofy sister put a sign in the right window, "Just Married!" When the horn went off, other drivers were honking back at us!

Soon, I cloth was stuffed behind the horn and that stopped it. Of course when we arrived at Elkhart Lake, the cloth was quickly pulled out and hidden. Even with the ignition off, it was still bleeping occasionally.

Three screws under the horn needed to be tightened. After that, no more honking horn. For now the cloth will remain in the glovebox.

Is there a fuse for the horn? When I looked in the trunk, I couldn't locate it.

Is tightening the screws the correct remedy? Does the wiring (?) contacts (?) need to be checked/cleaned?

I know the screws are old. Why were they loose? Vibration? Do the screws need to be replaced?

Even with all that, Elkhart Lake and Road America was a great time. The people there are wonderful!
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

A Delightful Day

Last Sunday, the 911 was at a Cars & Coffee FuelFed event in the north suburbs of Chicago. It is always a great event with friendly people, nice cars, and interesting stories. A man introduced himself and said he had seen me at Traverse City cleaning my car. Then, he invited me to see his new garage a few blocks away. Why not?

The steep driveway was filled with very nice cars. As we got to the top and glimpsed the garage, I said, "Oh my!" It was a new stucco garage, compatible with the house, and filled with four cars--A Porsche, a Mercedes, a Delahaye, and another Mercedes--all in pristine condition. I wondered about all the grill badges from South and Central America, and a Panama license plate. The walls were covered with interesting posters, and upstairs there was a library ... quite a garage.

As impressive as the collection was, the husband and his wife were extraordinary. Not only did they share their collections, they were kind, gracious, and welcoming hosts. Lunch was pizza and ice cream. As we ate, the host passed out chair cushions for our comfort. A simple gesture that said a lot.

It was a wonderful experience. The S continues to open doors for me. The message that keeps popping into my head is: show the car, drive the car, partake fully of the experience, and enjoy the people.

So many kind people,
    Last edited by Sepia911S; 07-30-2014 at 02:43 AM.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia911S View Post
    Last Sunday, the 911 was at a Cars & Coffee FuelFed event in the north suburbs of Chicago. It is always a great event with friendly people, nice cars, and interesting stories. A man introduced himself to me and said he had seen me at Traverse City cleaning my car. Then, he invited me to see his new garage a few blocks away. Why not?

The driveway was filled with very nice cars. As we got to the top of the driveway and glimpsed the garage, I said, "Oh my!" It was a new stucco garage, compatible with the house, and filled with four cars--A Porsche, a Mercedes, a Delahaye, and another Mercedes--all in pristine condition. I wondered about all the grill badges from South and Central America and a Panama license plate. The walls were covered with interesting posters and upstairs there was a library ... quite a garage.

As impressive as the collection was, the husband and his wife were extraordinary. Not only did they share their collection, they were kind, gracious, and welcoming hosts. Lunch was pizza and ice cream. As we ate, the host passed out chair cushions for our comfort. A simple gesture that said a lot.

It was a wonderful experience. The S continues to open doors for me. The message that keeps popping into my head is: show the car, drive the car, partake of the experience, and enjoy the people.

So many kind people,
    Pics or it never happened
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Honking Horn

Thank you for the information on the horn. I guess I need to get new parts. Way too often, I think some of the parts ... like a horn that was rarely used ... should last forever.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

A Delightful Day

Pics or it never happened

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. Unlike many, I need lots of practice taking photographs with my cell. There is now a camera in a briefcase I keep in the car filled with odds and ends. Soon I will need a larger case. But the reality is I am usually too busy talking with the car people to take photos.

Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027