Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: POLO 4 cylinder 911 engine and 1967 912 almost done

Hoping to have this 69E Targa up and running for the late spring and summer driving season for Doug. Then it's a to do list on my car then on to the 69 POLO coupe. It should be a very busy 18 to 24 months.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Here is a list of repairs and upgrades I will address starting in March after I finish a Golden Green 69E. I'm hoping I'll have the car back on the road by late Summer or Fall.
    -Replace all fuel lines. Hard lines through the tunnel, Teflon lined and rubber lines front and rear. Currently you wouldn't want to light a match inside the car. The original type hi pressure fuel lines are seeping vapors but no fuel after 9 years. I only want to do this once. Paul will build me custom lines. I'll send him mine so he can reproduce the exact lengths.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ess-steel.html
    -Replace both rear wheel bearings.
    -Powder coat trailing arms.
    -Over transmission Elephant engine hard oil line.
    -F&R longer wheel studs.
    -Radio delete dash?
    -Driver and passenger hidden inline fans to draw hot air to the floor and dash. It's a push and pull (vacuum) system. Add 2 switches to the dash in the radio delete area. I now use a Marshall Bluetooth speaker and Pandora off my phone. I don't use it very often. I prefer to listen to the car. It always has something to say.
    -Anodize custom decklid screen and front splitter.
    -LWB Suspension upgrade.
    1. Install aluminum crossbar with hole or holes so I can run pressure and return fuel lines through not over the crossbar. Reinforce those areas.
    2. New Rebel non grease LWB front suspension bushings.
    3. Decambered ball joints.
    4.LWB rebuilt steering rack.
    5.Rebel adjustable bump steer kit and turbo tie rods.
    6.Rebel Racing service raising the spindle 19 mm on a set of 73S Koni's. Powder coat the Koni's.
    -Add Elephant under the front hood crossover lines so I can add a second trombone oil cooler on the drivers side.
    -Add a IAC (idle air control) to the drivers side of the engine compartment. Then wires to the ECU and vacuum lines to each throttle body. This in theory should help get a nice idle over 10,000 feet.
    -Front early gray Boxster calipers using Rebel caliper adaptors on the 73S struts. I will keep the 20 mm SC rotors with 1.5 mm brake pad spacers as I feel 24 mm Carrera rotors are overkill for a 2100 pound car.
    -First ever PMB 70 to 72 914 front caliper with 42 mm pistons modified to go on the rear of a SWB car. With the Boxster front caliper the car retains the stock 1.6 front to rear bias.

As I like trying new ideas on the car more than even driving the car it should be a great Spring and Summer.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I'm trying out an idea to improve heat and defrost. I have a couple inline fans. The engine pushes the heat and these will pull. I'll also cut 2/3 rds of a 1 and 1/4 inch hole at an angle from the lower edge and push the flap in some to direct hot air toward my knees. The socket is there to give an idea what it might look like. It will only stick out about a 1/2 inch. It will come out above the side pocket. I'll be able to block these off. The fans are capable of handling 25 amps. To keep things quiet I probably run maybe 3 or 4 amps. The idea is to get the air out of the side heater tubes a little quicker so the air retains as much heat as possible. We'll see if it works. If it works I'll add a second one on the passenger side.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Double triples.
    Elephant under hood crossover lines are in. The 2 parts of the cooler on the left still needs to be connected. Both coolers will get tubes cut at approximately the red lines and male fittings silver soldered on. Connecting female parts and rubber hoses have been ordered.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 03-01-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Weekend work. I'm not sure why the picture of the oil lines rotated.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

3 of the 4 hard oil cooler lines are almost finished then they go for yellow zinc plating. I need to find someone who can make a sharp non kinked 90 degree bend on some 1 inch OD/ 7/8 ID steel tubing for the last line. Most tubing benders don't have fixtures for lines this small.
    The VDO Engine Hour Meter will go in the engine bay if it can stand the heat.
    I'm replacing the aluminum on the glove compartment. I bent it when removing a plate under the 912 logo.
    The one going in the car is an early 911 piece. The glove box door looked like the other piece before I cleaned it. The top left will be covered with the 4 event plates. As the 912 logo won't cover the 911 logo markings it will be replaced with one of my badges.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

I have a spare set of fog light covers and found a use for them.
    Sometimes in the spring and fall I find myself driving in 35 to 50 degree weather here and in Colorado. With the drivers side oil cooler I might have trouble with too low oil temps. My guess is the whole oil system will probably carry about 16 quarts. So I’ve made the spare pair to go on and off in a matter of minutes. We’ll see if it makes any difference on a cold day. A 6 mm thread cert fits perfectly in the bumper. Then I use a 6 mm threaded rod. I’m using a wing nut welded to the end for ease of use. An acorn nut would probably look better but I want to be able to put them on or off without tools. The threaded rod has been trimmed.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

I went back to black.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 03-25-2020 at 04:35 PM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

The oil coolers are ready to be installed. The hard lines are out getting yellow zinc. Hopefully they'll be done by weeks end. The 3 steel fittings where silver soldiered, gun blued, covered with oil, then roasted with a heat gun.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

Tubes back from getting yellow zinc.
    www.reSeeWorks.com