Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Legends of the Autobahn, 2011

Simple . . .

'67 1602 . . .

. . . NO:

. . . radio, AC, power windows, leather, cruise, airbags (or head-rests), impact bumpers, padded dash, ABS, catalyst (or even smog equipment) . . .

Weighs ~2000lbs, gets ~30 MPG.

Not fast.

Progress.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Back Forty . . .

. . . more requisite Porsche content.

Some shy types, parked out back . . .

D'you know that the German word for bassinet is Korbwiege?

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-24-2011 at 01:40 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

190sl . . .

. . . another not-my-favorite, and in a kinda dyspeptic shade, but, still . . . neat as a little pin.

Rough/buzzy 2 liter SOHC 4-cyl (based on the 300SL's six --- believe it or not), 105 HP, ~2600 lbs. Again, not exactly promising, but I've never driven one of these, either. Replaced by the 230SL ('Pagoda top') in '63.

No small amount of effort, time, and money, here . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Anything

Love to walk through car shows, look at cars, all kinds.

But more and more . . . really enjoying the 'stories.'

Like Bob's. Nice Guy, loves his wife, wants to make her happy, spoil her even. Asks her what kinda car she wants. 'Anything you want, Honey . . . '

Not really a Car Guy, either.

But Mrs Bob? . . . .

Search begins. Bob's got means --- anything means anything --- but nothing strikes Mrs Bob's fancy, 'till one day, on a trip to Victoria . . . .

'05 Mercedes-Benz B-class.

Bob may not be a Car Guy --- but anything means anything. Man On. Calls MBNA, calls the President of NA Ops, calls dealers, finds out what's what/who's who . . . learns the law, learns about the Canadian-market B-class, finds out what it takes to certify a non-US model, learns MBNA's parts and service system, finds an Importer, even finds a Dealer who'll handle the service --- Fletcher Jones = NO, Penske = YES . . . .

Bob gets Mrs Bob what she wants.

How many husbands would step up, do what Bob did, go through what he went through, just to make their wife happy?

And how many so-called Car Guys even drove up/got outta bed to do 'Legends' on the Monterey week-end?

Bob did.

Mrs Bob, too.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Odds . . .

1) . . . barely a straight panel, trim piece, or shut-line on 'er . . . but she's Inka ('02-speak for orange). And just look! . . . no horsies on 'er sides.

and M Cars . . .

2) and 3) M5 Touring, aka The Hell Wagon. Kinda unassuming-looking --- and no roof rack . . . just your basic 170MpH dog hauler. (Sparky'll need a HANS, maybe a mouth-piece . . .)

4) It was the 25th Anniversary of The Real M3. And a few turned up. Bay Area has a pretty Healthy Following. (Just try to find a stock one.) Really hoped I might bump into Spencer (///msw3) and my old Fairbanks Flyer . . . but --- not that lucky

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Odds and Ends . . .

. . . the other stuff.

1) Bigger, better, Benz bus. What? . . . 5-row seating?

2) Undressed/kinda Cafe'd Honda 750-Four. Look better in 'at copper-orange color, I think

3) 90-Degree Rule?

. . . . The "90-Degree Rule" is something golf courses put into place when they want to allow the convenience of golf carts but minimize the impact of those carts on the golf course.

When the 90-Degree Rule is in effect, golfers are required to keep carts on the cart path until they are even with a golf ball in the fairway. Only then should the cart leave the path, turning sharply (90 degrees) to drive straight across to the golf ball. After playing the shot, the cart should return straight back to the cart path, then remain on the path until pulling even with another ball. In this manner, golfers have the convenience of carts but damage to the course's fairway turf is minimized . . . .

Sign's been run over --- nice.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-25-2011 at 04:22 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Co-Pilots

This whole Legends of the Autobahn wasn't my usual car-thing.

I'd debated even going, then decided to, after all . . . just 5 days before, made reservations, took time off, etc.

Coulda been a real disaster, too. Definitely had all the makings . . .

Late start, then the 101 was being de-constructed, like, every 75-or-so miles . . .

Got to the (cheap) hotel late. 50 miles away from Carmel.

Next day --- day o' the show --- real late start, 3 hours.

Sun never came out.

Not the best way to break in a New Co-pilot.

Had one of the best week-ends of my life . . . cars or no cars. (Did I mention we went for a car show?) Discovered some funky/sweet restaurants (Wild Donkey = SLO, Forge in the Forest = Carmel), did 17 Mile Drive for the first time in 10-years (free). Showed-off The One between Big Sur and SLO . . . to someone who'd never seen it before. Toured and shopped and talked and shared . . . still smiling.

Hhh.

I didn't take this picture . . . but this is how I'll remember the week-end . . . hokis . . .

Rick

PS Carmel-by-the-Sea . . . sand like talc . . . a 'Miami' tan . . . and I need to get out more often . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 08-25-2011 at 05:32 PM.

We Can Be Heroes