Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The restoration of #9112300023

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    I just came across this thread and it looks like an amazing car -- and being a space nut, it's of course extra special. Good luck with the sale; too bad you decided to sell it after all this work but maybe it's too nice to drive.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to rebuild the engine in 2.7 RS spec instead of leaving it stock?
    Because the 2.7RS engine is one of the best Porsche ever did. When rebuilding a 2.4S engine from the ground up it's a nice upgrade and if you're going to replace the pistons and cylinders anyway going to 2.7RS isn't a major feat. To do it right though you need to have the right MFI guy to rebuild the pump and replace the space cam in the MFI pump which I have in Mark Jung. It's a factory RS space cam. Rothsport engine dyno has the engine at 215HP. If you really wanted to you could sleeve the engine and take it back to 190HP. I built this car for me and I love the 2.7RS engine.
    72S, 72T now ST

Sounds good. Hopefully I'll be able to try a 2.7RS engine at some point myself.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

To me there is no reason not to increase the engine displacement from 2.4 to 2.7 (except perhaps budget).
    Externally they are identical...in that no concours judge would ever know it's a 2.7 by just looking at it, if that's your thing....concoursing.
    It is such a great motor with better torque than the standard 2.4S.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    To me there is no reason not to increase the engine displacement from 2.4 to 2.7 (except perhaps budget).
    Besides budget there’s an excellent reason why: Some people wince at hogging the spigots out on their matching number case.
    Not that it can’t be fixed down the road. (About $3k currently.)

Your car is perfectly done. I hope you get every penny out of it.