Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday at the '11 Reunion @ Laguna Seca

Saturday at the '11 Reunion @ Laguna Seca

Just a teaser set of sample photos from this year's Motorsport Reunion. As I said last year, the improvement in every measurable area of organizing the weekend was immediately noticeable. Per schedule, the overcast cleared at about 10:30 almost every day, followed by blazing sunshine and exceptional on-track action.

Hopefully you'll understand that I am saving what I think are the best shots for John Dilger to use in the upcoming issue of the ESSES. The attached shots are from Friday & Saturday, the day the crowds were the thickest and the racing was the most spirited and colorful.

1. Since Jaguar was the featured marque at Laguna Seca this year, we're starting out with a '62 factory XKE, prior to Jaguar coming out with their beautiful "Lightweight" pure racing models.

2. The second shot is my atmospheric "art shot" of this lot,..... of a 2nd generation Reventlow Scarab mid-rear engine F-1 car, an extremely rare specimen.

3 & 4 With 5 Series I & 2 Series II GTO present it's quite understandable that they commanded most of the attention of those present.

5. How can anyone not love a clean, fast Alfa Zagato
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I did not make it there , how was the Can-Am action ?

......and some more from the weekend at the Reunion.

1. The Cobra Club brought twelve real Cobras, of both, the narrow-bodied 289 and 427 variety.

2. Another attempt at an "image",...........the titanium center-lock wheel nuts from the white ex-Jim Busby RSR.

3. Hans Lapine's ( one of the partners in Kundensport ) 914 - 6 at the entry to the corkscrew.

4. At the 1st Trans-Am race of '69 in Michigan, the Sunoco "Big Rig" was not used for either practice or qualifying, but was kept hidden until race morning on Sunday. This ingenious apparatus enabled the Penske crew to fuel their car in 4.5 seconds as opposed to the customary 13 -14 seconds other teams required using existing gear. Gas flowed under gravity from the upper tank through the lower double-walled, dry-ice cooled container, thus increasing the density of the fuel, ( they were able to load one additional gallon as compared to ambient temp. fuel) into the car. They won the race over G. Follmer by 2.3 seconds, but at the end of the race, Competition director of the SCCA, Jim Kaser, declared the whole thing illegal and it was not seen again.

5. To a lot of Porsche lovers seeing one 356 Abarth is a real cultural event, seeing two is a sign from heaven, and seeing three in one race is tantamount to the "second coming". The third car never did manage to catch up to the two shown dicing, so I wasn't able to get all three into one photo.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 08-22-2011 at 04:43 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

..and a final few more from the famous Corkscrew turn.

That's me in the blue Lola T298 in the middle of this series of pictures. I had passed the yellow car in turn 2 and was in the process of putting some distance between us. Bill Morris
    Bill Morris

Thumbs up

That's me in the blue Lola T298 in the middle of this series of pictures.
    Good'on'ya Bill.....
    2 lt. Sports Racers are on the top of my list......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    That's me in the blue Lola T298 in the middle of this series of pictures.
    Bill, I LOVE that car! I have always been a huge fan of the 2L sports racers.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Thanks, guys. It's a 1979 T298 with a BMW 12/7 2L motor. Car was originally used by Mauro Nesti, European Hill Climb champion nine times. It was imported to US about ten years ago by Bobby Rahal for him to use in vintage racing. He sold it when he moved to England with Jaguar F1, and I bought it two years ago from that owner. It was black when I got it and put a picture or two in the early pages of the "homeless" pictures thread on our forum. Currently it's in the color and decals as it raced in '79.
    It was Griot's Garage cover car one or two issues ago.
    Last edited by AlfaGTA; 08-22-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: additional info
    Bill Morris

thanks for posting my car!
    Hans

Looking good Hans!

Bill, was your car with Fantasy Junction during one of those recent (sort of) sales? I seem to remember a black Lola 298 for sale. Love the livery now much better.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T