I just received my very first issue of ESSES today - Ya-hoo! I'm excited to become more involved now that my new toy is nearly ready...
I'm new to the world of the 911 having purchased my first Porsche - a '70E - about a year and a half ago. Since then it's been undergoing a full disassembly/rebuild. The time has come to rebuild the engine. As the engine that came with the car is not a number's matching case but, is a complete 2.2E engine with MFI, I have decided to "upgrade" it a bit.
I'm torn between keeping the short stroke and boring it out to 90mm or change up the crank with a later 70.4mm and change up the pistons to maintain the stock "E" comp. I have an idea of what might be gained/lost with a longer stroke or larger bore so I'm mainly interested to hear what the community thinks of each (advantages/disadvantages), personal experiences or just your 2 cents worth on the matter if so inclined. Either way I go, I'm keeping the MFI. Perhaps some day I'll venture out for track days but for now it's going to be strictly street-only. Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance. Pictures will follow hopefully very soon.