Thread: Need spec details of 1968 Euro (ROW) S vs. US-spec 1968 S

Need spec details of 1968 Euro (ROW) S vs. US-spec 1968 S

I would appreciate hearing from any member who can share information concerning mechanical and cosmetic differences between US and ROW 1968 911S. The more detail the better!

there was NO USA spec 68MY 911S , it did not meet epa then , so the closest think you will see is a 911L which is a 911 with all the S option without the engine
    if you have a 68 S in the US , even a private import , it would not be US spec but a euro
    what the 4 ad 5 digit of your serial ,, it will be 118XX then sequential number , those digit will tell you a lot

freez
    now on the road 914-6
    now in the shop for concourse resto 11850275 S SWT
    daily driver B8 S4 stage 2

1968 S specs

Hi, Freezing14 -Thanks for the reply...Sorry, my question wasn't worded particularly well. I know that the '68 S couldn't pass the EPA standards with the big HP engine, so the L was created with the low-HP engine for the US market. What I'm looking for are details of the rest of the chassis. 1968 US models had an air pump system and side reflector lamps...but what else differentiated them from ROW versions?

This is all in reference to a Euro S VIN 11801124.

I've got a 68S. A couple of other differences (between the US L and Coupe (normal) I've noticed, although they're probably obvious--the speedo is in KPH, the temperature gauge is in Celcius.

I believe the rear brakelight assembly is different, but, sadly, I can't tell you in what way. My car is missing the rear brakelights.
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Linsky View Post
    Hi, Freezing14 -Thanks for the reply...Sorry, my question wasn't worded particularly well. I know that the '68 S couldn't pass the EPA standards with the big HP engine, so the L was created with the low-HP engine for the US market. What I'm looking for are details of the rest of the chassis. 1968 US models had an air pump system and side reflector lamps...but what else differentiated them from ROW versions?

This is all in reference to a Euro S VIN 11801124.
    It was not so much as it couldn't pass emissions as Porsche was taking a proactive approach. Later the factory issued a bulletin to remove the pump and the car would still pass emissions. Sadly, the information was not sent out with the same effort as todays recalls.Even the S would have passed....
    The US version has all the DOT differences.Lights, warning systems, seats, windows, etc. At least a full page as I remember; converting them for soldiers who brought them home.
    H

Hi, Von and Harvey - My thanks for your comments. If someone out there could exhume that full page of required alterations, I'm sure many of us would find it of interest. Harvey - What did you mean when you mentioned seats? Was it in reference to headrests? Did non-US '68s have side intrusion beams in the doors? Was there any difference in window glass specs? Von - Regarding taillights, might there have been a difference in the size of the built-in reflectors?

Cheers!

PCL

There were no door beams in 68. Another note the US L and the ROW L are two different cars. The US being trimmes as a 911S and the ROW countepart trimmed as a T.

Don

Bringing an ROW car into the US wasn't very difficult in 1968, or 1969. There were very little in the way of actual requirements at place of import (crossing the border). Since the dealer couldn't bring the cars in officially, the way of entry was through an "individual entry". The requirements were essentially: lights (US sealed beam type), seatbelts, speedometer. Side markers were not necessary, nor were headrests, or door beams. You needed to have a 4 way warning light as I recall. You also needed a dual diagonal braking system. Other USA dealer delivery mandated items were not needed such as collapsible steering column, safety door locks, covered dash knob switches.

Eric

Thanks, guys! All these little bits of information help fill in the picture.

Cheers!

Peter Linsky

I had looked at a car some time ago it had a vin number 1183xxxx the fellow had a coa from porsche saying it was a 911s...?
    1966 911 coupe
    1967 911s coupe
    1968 911s coupe
    1978 911sc coupe