Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Please allow me to introduce myself.

Thanks Harry,

I heard about the wedding (congrats) and have been following your garage plans on the 912BB. Can't wait to catch up at a date in the (hopefully near) future.

Cheers,
    -Mike

Mike,

I'm working on a 1966 912 - performing a similar build. I love what you've done. Spectacular work!

Any chance you'd be willing to chat specifics offline (fitment issues mainly)? I'm having trouble finding answers to a few questions and was hoping that you'd be willing to help.

I have a ton of experience working on SCs (Pelican member - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/members/36482.html) ... but no experience working on the early cars. Particularly the SWB.

Thanks!
    Craig

Time for an update.

After about 8 months without a car, the recent work is complete. I was lucky enough to purchase a 67S project car a few years ago. Turns out the car had some SCCA history, so I decided to head down the slippery slope of a restoration. While the car is still years away from completion, I had the motor out of the car and quietly waiting in the wings. Seemed to me that it would have to be rebuilt and restored eventually anyway, so I figured it couldn't hurt to do that bit first and then plug it into Elsie and enjoy it for a few years while restoring the 67S.

The list of subcontractors is long and distinguished, but at the end of the day the actual motor itself was assembled by Franz Blam. Installation, tuning, and sorting was done by Vintage Racing in Georgia. The motor is now a 2.3L so we didn't have to do anything irreversible to the case. With that being said, I don't think there was anything on the machine shop menu that we didn't order. The motor got the full treatment. It's now twin plugged and running a set of original (rebuilt) 46 Webers. The guess is she makes around 200hp, but I intend to dyno her when she's broken in. I also threw an LSD in the car while everything was out and being worked on.

With a little luck, I should now be able to keep up with the local hooligans who run 3.0L and larger displacements and caused me to huff and puff to keep up with my 2.0L (and later 2.2L). Either way, it should make for a very interesting little SWB now. I'd like to send a special thanks to Michael Eberhardt at Vintage Racing. He and his team oversaw the entire build, managed the process, and provided invaluable advice to make sure I didn't get weary and cut any corners. Thanks mate.

Name:  IMG_5001.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  IMG_4971.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5005.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  118.6 KB

See you in my rearview mirror sometime soon.

-Mike

Very nice Mike! That motor looks amazing and I can only assume it runs as well as it looks!
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

Excellent! Glad to hear that Elsie is back on the streets. Can't wait to hear this new motor sing.

Rear view mirror? Nah.

LOL.

I've been saving up some satanic details while waiting for the car to be finished. My loving wife spent way too much money on this NOS vintage windshield compass as a Christmas present. It's gorgeous and incredibly small.

Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  image1-2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  57.4 KB

East Coast
    Mike
    That little compass is so cool
    I'm always in awe when seeing your satantic details..they are always spot on and correct..
    I look forward to seeing it soon..+1 with MEVR...

OG3
    RG715

Spectacular engine Mike.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Spectacular Mike. Wondered where 'ya been. So, what happened to the 'Murricans? Missed you at BR last year.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Looks awesome Mike. That engine is like jewelry. Now toss a greasy turbo wheel/tire in the passengers seat and hit the road.....
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST