Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New reproducton parts vs original

YES to most of that--things have changed and "resto" can be more free-wheeling.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

This thread reminds me of another thread started 6(six) years earlier UPGRADES WHAT IS ACCEPTABLE by gymmoe

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Bump, and looking for new responses considering any changes in the marketplace and new restoration experts.
    I'm no expert but I know what I know.

The “parts part” of the vintage car hobby has been a rollercoaster ride that took a while to get where it is. If you were an “All-American” car guy your prayers were answered long before the rest of the world caught up. That was Eric’s leg up in penetrating the Porsche parts market. Nobody was doing it well, if at all. Picking the right parts to produce was another can of worms. Being where “they” are not is a good strategy.

The Internet may be reviled for a lot of things but it has made it easier for a small business to tackle markets. Locating parts and producers has become easy and I shudder to think that I’d have to go back to “knowing a guy” who “knows a guy”.

Years ago when I started working on and restoring BMW motorcycles it was a snipe hunt of sorts when it came to sourcing vintage pieces and parts for the bikes. I would go to swap meets and made a few trips to Daytona Bike Week looking to score, only to come up short as it is the Mecca for Harley Davidson and not much else. When I got into vintage Ducatis and Moto Guzzis it wasn’t much better.

There was a shift that BMW deserves a lot of credit for. They began putting old parts back into production. BMW Mobile Tradition was in the business a long time before anyone at Porsche thought of Porsche Classic. It has now become BMW Classic and they have Automobile and Motorcycle divisions. This was a boon to those of us who had tired of chasing junk. Back before a new fender could be bought, searches would often turn up rusty dregs that would cost a lot to bring back. Most of the time one could put more money into the part than it would ever be worth. Many of you know BMW built a “new” 2002 from parts they were reproducing. https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en/...eile-shop.html

I admire anyone who is willing to get into a business where you could find your part being reproduced in Vietnam for fifty cents on the dollar as happened to a friend in the vintage BMW bike business. His kick-start lever was produced there and “somehow” began showing up at dealers for significantly less. He didn’t have much control from almost 9,000 miles away. Hard lesson learned.

We all benefit from this paradigm shift. There are things out here I thought I’d never see again! CNC, 3D scanning and parts “printing” have really changed things for the better. Do I care if it is original? Not so much, as long as it’s done to high standard.

Recently a gentleman in Florida, who shall remain nameless for sake of privacy, needed a very rare 550 part that hasn’t been produced since all the 550 and 4 cam parts ceased production. FYI: Brundidge/Brumos threw all their 4 Cam stuff in the dumpster once no longer current. The part needed was located but not available. The person who had the part graciously offered to have it scanned, printed and also provide a CAD/CNC file. Who would have thought such a thing could happen 20 years ago without having the energy, enthusiasm and bank account of Jay Leno?

Some of you have worked with Jimmy Tidwell. I’ve bought some wonderful tools from him. Last year he shared notes on one pet project that I wanted to tackle.
    I took on finding one “original” item that would make the product “like it was BITD”. I’m awaiting these and when they show up I’ll be sharing them with him. Quid pro quo.

Continued success, Eric. Can’t say what you should make next, but I can say that what you have made is as good as it gets.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Because of China, one really needs to watch what you buy. There is no substitute for NOS. Even many of the new parts Porsche is selling, are now lousy as compared to the originals. THAT is one of the reasons original cars with patina are worth more than beautifully restored ones with aftermarket parts. When purchasing, just make sure you ask the salesman how good the parts really are. If the guy is a true Porsche person he will tell you from the heart and you will get a good part (or not so good part if that is what you want!