Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New reproducton parts vs original

There is alot of misuse of terms. I remember in the 70s when Porsche parts came in a box marked " ORIGINAL-GENUINE". I explained many times that original would be the same as delivered and genuine would only mean it came from Porsche, not necessarly the original fittment.
    Here is my start to explain the acronyms.
    OE=original equiptment -- self explainatory, except the factory had the right to use other suppliers and versions, but they usually are the same.
    OEM=Original equiptment manufacturer--built by the same supplier but not necessarily the same part as delivered. ie Fuchs makes wheels for Porsche and Mercedes among others. So you could advertise a Mercedes wheel as OEM. Same goes with ATS, Cibie, Recaro etc.
    NOS=new old stock. Could be any of the above and there is no age for "old" on the new old stock. Oh yea, not just trial fitted or barely used; actually NEW and not used or fitted. We required the part to never have even been sold retail.
    NLA= no longer available--means either it has been discontinued or replaced with a supersession.
    SS or SSN=Superseeded by a new design OR supplier
    GRV= remanfacturered part-may or may not be the original supplier or version
    X=exchange-usually referring to electrical parts
    XXX-color code needed
    PET=online catalog
    There are many others and I'm sure others will help cairify.

sorry for the bad spelling.
    and dotto on what Eric said.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 10-23-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Original always trumps reproduction in my book...but it's sure great to have reproductions available for various unobtanium!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thank you! I googled Porsche + PET and the Porsche Classic catalog popped up. I didn't even know I could find the information online. It is a starting point.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Some of the new parts coming out from Eric, Carl and some others are just beautiful...I would not hesitate to put them on my cars. It's refreshing to see that type of commitment to quality to what a NOS part would be. If I could find a manufacturer that was making GT lids that were perfect reproductions I may consider putting them on.

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Great thread you started Mike, really interesting comments being made here.

I think it comes down to what you can afford, so of course original parts will always keep their high values and the repro parts will help those with on a limited budget. Having said that of course there are repro parts that are made as the originals are no longer available or so rare as to be unobtainable, and I for one welcome that and make use of them.

I think perhaps the days of unscrupulous traders passing off repros as originals are diminishing as we are more knowledgeable and have more access to information on forums such as this these days, thanks to the internet.

One other point to make is that of quality, things like door pockets, trim, muffler skirts and so on can all look great and serve their purpose well, it's another thing with repro mechanical parts, it could be potentially disastrous to fit an untested and unproven part into an expensive engine for example, I have seen some pieces recently that leave a little to be desired.

Finally just a word on my own repro part experience. I spent 2 years searching for a NOS Heiznmann extinguisher unit with no luck, so spent another 2 years making a reproduction version. It was a great manufacturing experience and I learnt alot and I know a few others did benefit from the small run.
    cheers, Mike
    Member#1664
    1972 911 S/RSR to Martini Prototype specification
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15294

I fully agree that it has become difficult to distinguish OE from OEM and from reproductions. I sold some Pudenz fuse packs just before the repros came out. I had purchased them from Stoddard's back in the late 1970's when I was involved with a bunch of 356's. I'll have to see if I can find the original invoice and see what part # Stoddard used. With a dealer like Stoddard one never knew the true source of the parts; he did a lot of business and developed a lot of suppliers beyond Porsche I'm sure. Still, it was amazing to to have Chuck go up in the loft and bring down some NOS Drauz stickered door latch panels for the Conv D. He said that if I had mail ordered these parts I would have received repro cabriolet parts instead. A 904 LSD was another neat part he had in stock. I have collected a few 914/6 GT parts over the years and wonder if I should use them or repros. Not easy.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

"I need to replace the original door, trunk, and headlight seals this winter. I need to research the seals, installation, etc. I need to understand what I am doing and know the difference between original, reproduction, etc. It is important to me to get this right and feel comfortable with the process."

Candyce,
    To be more specific. I think that you'll be happy with all but the available door seals. The door seals went through many evolutions to get better sealing to no avail. I would recommend International Mercantile for the earlier looking door seals. You might try him for all the rubber. I have had good luck since I first ordered from him in 1973.
    H
    H

Partsisnotparts

This is a debate that is always an issue with current production cars of all types as insurance companies support the least expensive parts, and depending on who you talk to you get that many opinions.

There are factory parts and non factory parts. Generally to keep things simple, "Original" would be parts manufactured during the production of the model, including any inventories left over for production. NOS typically would be "original" because they more than likely were made to original specs during original production periods.

"OEM" could include those parts and parts made after the model was discontinued as well as 1) manufactured by the same suppliers to the same specifications (that would be Original) or different specifications (not Original) 2) manufactured by the same suppliers for the factory or other distributors but with different specifications under license by the OEM (not Original).

Then everything else is 'aftermarket'. If you don't have an original or one can't be built by you or someone else, you just have to shop hard.

A good example is the teardrop taillight for a 356. Original have not been around for decades from any supplier. On the car they look the same, but they aren't. The bullet connectors are a hole with a screw to tighten on a bare wire. But Porsche has distributed those parts for decades with their "original" label. They ain't "Original".

There is a small industry out there by high quality restorers in 356's that have come on stream in the past few years, that are taking original parts and restoring them to original, as I am sure there are those in the 911 market.

As a resent buyer of several early 911's, original speaks loud to me as these cars are original and should be kept that way as close as possible...without losing sight of economics. But there is a part for every level of car.

Hope this supplements Mr. Weidman's definitions........

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    There is alot of misuse of terms. I remember in the 70s when Porsche parts came in a box marked " ORIGINAL-GENUINE". I explained many times that original would be the same as delivered and genuine would only mean it came from Porsche, not necessarly the original fittment.
    Here is my start to explain the acronyms.
    OE=original equiptment -- self explainatory, except the factory had the right to use other suppliers and versions, but they usually are the same.
    OEM=Original equiptment manufacturer--built by the same supplier but not necessarily the same part as delivered. ie Fuchs makes wheels for Porsche and Mercedes among others. So you could advertise a Mercedes wheel as OEM. Same goes with ATS, Cibie, Recaro etc.
    NOS=new old stock. Could be any of the above and there is no age for "old" on the new old stock. Oh yea, not just trial fitted or barely used; actually NEW and not used or fitted. We required the part to never have even been sold retail.
    NLA= no longer available--means either it has been discontinued or replaced with a supersession.
    SS or SSN=Superseeded by a new design OR supplier
    GRV= remanfacturered part-may or may not be the original supplier or version
    X=exchange-usually referring to electrical parts
    XXX-color code needed
    PET=online catalog
    There are many others and I'm sure others will help cairify.

sorry for the bad spelling.
    and dotto on what Eric said.
    H
    Roy Smalley
    member 877

Hope this supplements Mr. Weidman's definitions........
    Thank you for the additional information. I've read and reread this thread trying to take it all in and understand the terms. My learning curve is steep. I have an all original car that is a Parade Preservation winner. I know I need to keep it as original as possible. I need to gather lots of information before I make a decision or do anything to the car. It is a bit of a challenge ... it just takes a while for me to think it through. I take all of this very seriously.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

So many questions, so few answers....
    Where do you call it quits? Rebuilding/restoring a car is an open ended proposition in terms of time and money. Original vs reproduction is often determined by both time and money. Do you have the time to wait weeks and weeks to find the "original" or do your best to find a suitable alternative? I think this is perhaps what seperates one level of build from another. Did they go the extra mile to find the real deal or did they stay as true as possible given a set of limitations? Just be sure you know which you are trying to do and be honest when you represent the car down the road.
    Last edited by Sacto S; 10-24-2011 at 05:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe