I suppose it’s time for me to update my thinking Eric.

First up, I still own the same cars and most of the original parts I’ve collected over the years as I did when I first posted.
No change there then.

I’m still wondering the same things however even though things have moved on since the original post. There seems to be a large shift in customizing the original 911 factory concept. Hot rods, clones, replicas and special wish 911’s seem to be more common. Are owners becoming tired of ‘originality’ in all its respects? I have to pay more (in the UK) for a 72 replica ST (backdated with modern replacement lookalike parts) than a very original 72E. A lot more!

So I’m still wondering what value (desireability not financial) there is to keeping to use, sell, exchange original parts from a receding generation of knowledgeable experts to a generation who don’t know (or care) any better. Are the originality dudes just as prolific in the SC, Carrera, 964 and 993 generation now?

Are we losing the originality of the longhood into the mists of time forever?

Does it now matter as much that Eric and others mark their parts proudly so that we can say in the future ‘ah that’s an Autoforeign exact reproduction which was the absolute best available at the time and indistinguishable from the original 70’s part’.

Regards
Mike