Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New reproducton parts vs original

This car is all original. My husband ordered it in 1973. I have all the original paperwork and 38 years of receipts plus a very detailed log book. I just want to keep it in very good condition ... the sentimental value is high, the monetary value is high plus it is great fun to drive and show. Everyone has an opinion on this car. After I joined this registry in August, on the recommendation of Ed Mayo, I just read the posts and try to learn. I know I can get help here ... and hope I make the right choices.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

What is this classified as then?

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=3473

'Made in China for Porsche AG'. Yuk. This isn't OEM, it's not original, but it's 'for Porsche AG'.

I want to buy a few of these but am very reluctant to drop this on the car.

Captain Mike (OO) would roll over in his grave and I am still of the mindset that quality would not be the same. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I will strive to hold off as long as possible putting something made in China on my car
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Candyce;

Your car IS special. And being special makes it much more complicated to own.
    Again - I can only add my UNEXPERT OPINIONS and my real but limited experiences.

I couldn't own a car like yours as an only toy. Too much responsibility.
    If you use it as it was meant to be used you will need to start swapping original parts if only for safety reasons.
    And by original I mean those that it had when it rolled off the line and were ordered by your husband and thus are sentimentaly charged.

My car has been through several owners and quite a bit has been changed.
    AND STILL every original bushing and bolt, every hose I replace brings with it a knowledge that I am removing an original part of the car that was there when it left the factory.
    I don't think anyone would recommend replacing an original rubber A arm bushing or brake line with another 40 year old one if you were to really use the car (?)
    And no original [replacement] part will carry that "real original" load.

Like setting up any car for dual use: Track and road; drive and show.
    You will have to give up a little something at both ends.
    Or keep it in a plastic bag.

My only advice is to continue as you are - listen to those who are experts and decide for yourself how you want to use the car ( or the other way around )

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Great thread:

During the Rennsport experience, many of us met the person in charge of "Porsche classic" from the factory. He was explaining to us that Porsche works on approx. 300 cars per/yr. Porsche does various degrees of restoration. He did mention that Porsche was going to review almost all licensees' that have contracts with Porsche with regards to parts for their cars. If the standards do not meet their NOW criteria these companies would be replaced with contractors that can do it precisely like the factory was promised. One of the items the factory rep said would be out very soon is the Porsche badge that has been knocked-off, restored, and resold for upwards of $400. He said the new badges will be absolutely perfect and will sell for circa $100 USD. So like my friend Eric mentioned about the "hood mounted" lights, if you have these...best to sell now !

What is really intersting is that "NOW" Porsche finally gets that there are throngs of their cars that we are trying to "bring back to life". It only took them 30 years, and $millions of lost revenue to get that we here in the USA really have made restoration of Porsches a hobby. However, they ( Porsche ) are taking this very seriously and they really want to do-it-right, as they should. I give much of this credit to the higher-ups @ Porsche -Classic for their dedication to this mission.

BTW..I hung out with Mr.Linden @ RR4 for the duration when I was there. I must say, Erics' parts: horn grills, luggage carrier, exhaust tips, and rear 1/4 panel caps are friggen perfect !! Congrats to Mr. Linden for NOT settling for mediocracy and putting a quality product for us to buy.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Seems like most if not all the Porsche boys are collecting the early 911`s on-back to the Gmuend treasures............

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Curt, was that Porsche fellow the same guy that provided the Kardex info ?

That is all FANTASTIC news for all concerned ! This should get very interesting.

And really, Erics goods are as good as it gets - I find myself mesmerized at times by the muffler tip sitting on my desk.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Like setting up any car for dual use: Track and road; drive and show.
    You will have to give up a little something at both ends.
    Or keep it in a plastic bag.
    No plastic bags for this car! I drove it about 3,500 miles during the last year ... two trips to Elkhart Lake and a tour of the track, some rallyes, many Chicago Region PCA events, and many local cruise nights. I borrowed a truck and rented a U-Haul trailer to transport it to Savannah. It is a great car, needs to be driven ... just a bit, and needs to be shown.

A friend said, "Drive it or sell it!" I am looking forward to the ride.
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Good for you Candyce !! I'm glad to hear you're driving it, and it looks like you're enjoying this board, glad that has worked for you! The fact that you're driving it does mean that you'll need to keep up with, and do necessary maintenance and part replacement necessary to keeping it roadworthy, ie. brakes, brake hoses, wheel bearings, tires, fuel lines and other consumables. All of that is expected to be done on a preservation class car. I would do the door seals you mentioned earlier IF yours are really cracked and brittle, especially since the original profile is now available from Stoddards. As I think I mentioned earlier, I'd leave that paint on the rear fender alone unless you can find a painter who can prove to you his ability to match the faded color. Maybe faded was a bad choice,,,,aged might be better,,,,I know you have it absolutely shining!!! Enjoy the ride,
    Ed
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hard to put a value on respect and integrity. You are seen in collective community as being illustrative of both.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    He said the new badges will be absolutely perfect and will sell for circa $100 USD. So like my friend Eric mentioned about the "hood mounted" lights, if you have these...best to sell now !
    Ha! I laughed out loud when I read this. If the new repro badges are demonstrative of Porsche's concept of "absolutely perfect", that's another good reason we need guys like Eric who understand the true meaning of those words.