Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: First LWB

Quote Originally Posted by nimbels View Post
    Yes, sorry I meant to say 119 indeed. The CVO say's it is a matching numbers 69 911 karman coupe and was built 3 september 1968 in US spec for the P.C. Pacific Burlingame California dealer. Car is in very good / original condition, except for that at some point in time the car was repainted to "porsche silver". Drove in the mille miglia entourage + vacation in Italy last year... and attended the goodwood festival of speed 50 year tribute this year.

Chassis number: 119120008
    Engine type: 901/16 (us spec) with number 6195012
    Transmission type: 901/12 (us spec) with number: 7190018 (5 speed alu transmission)

The colour number is reflected as 68-6809-H and is the same as i got on the Porsche birth cert. with also reveals that there where 3560 built that year (modelljahr 1969).

Hey Nimbels,

Have you still got this car, would you post a picture of your paint code in the door jam, I'm wondering what it looks like?

Thanks lee

Hi Lee, hope this helps

Name:  IMG_3930.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  104.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3958.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  68.9 KB
    Current aircooled classic cars:
    68 swb 911 2.0T targa
    69 lwb 911 2.0 T coupe (matching #'s)
    72 superbeetle

So, where is 119200001? Sold September 16, 2012 for £37,100.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

It is under careful and considered restoration in the UK.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Thanks, Mike.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    It is under careful and considered restoration in the UK.

Regards
    Mike
    Why was it stated "probably the first LWB" produced? Production was end of June 1968. There was a prototype S (GTS) 0004 produced in June as well. They didn't go by serial number as 11930001 and 0002 were produced July 9, 1968 which was after 0004 I believe.

Just curious..

I think that it is a hard call as to which of probably a half a dozen cars was the "first lwb"
    There is the E in the UK 119200001, the subject of this thread, which had versuch production number 320-012 and was apparently completed on 28 June (presumably the Ausgel.am date) but I have not seen either the kardex or build sheets and we know that the earlier kardex date (Ausgel.am) is actually not when it was completed but when it was "delivered" or invoiced from the factory which could be days after actual completion
    There was the S that rower is talking about 119300004 which also had a versuch production number 320-017, and the kardex which has been posted here shows the Ausgel.am date as 28 June. Its engine number was 6390004.
    There is also another S with Versuch production number 320-010 that had vin 119300001 and engine number 6390002 which was a WE car but I don't know any more about it and I don't know what date it is supposed to be completed on (although Rower says it and 00002 mentioned below was on July 9)
    There is another S with Versuch production number 320-011 that is (i think still) in South Africa with Vin 119300002, original engine number was 6390003 and gearbox number 7190001, that was originally an experimental car but was also Dr Porsche's company car. The date I have against that car is 29 October 1968 as a delivered date (source Porsche communication to current owner) but i don't know what "date" that was and don't believe that that would be when it was made given the evidence of the others and that it was also on a Versuch shell. It may have been when it was handed over to Dr Porsche.
    In addition I think that there may have been at least one LWB T, possibly more, in the 320-xxx series produced at about the same time as there are 4 320-xxx production numbers unaccounted for between the UK E and the 00004S / GTS.
    The cars with versuch production numbers of 320-009 and below were all 1967S prototypes so not candidates to be the first LWB.

Without access to the build book I think that it is impossible to say which was first - only "may have been" or "among" as we know that cars were not built in strict production number order - and especially finished in strict order.
    Last edited by HughH; 01-28-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Great response Hugh.

The E in question also has engine number ending 01 and the MFI pump is a pre-production type not used on the subsequent production series. It also has many swb features and a red interior which is a mixture of lwb and swb pieces which must have been a one-off crossover special detail. It was originally LHD and was a mule at the factory until the end of 1968 at least. I don’t own the car now but it certainly has a very strong case for being the first matching number lwb.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    The E in question also has engine number ending 01 and the MFI pump is a pre-production type not used on the subsequent production series. It also has many swb features and a red interior which is a mixture of lwb and swb pieces which must have been a one-off crossover special detail. It was originally LHD and was a mule at the factory until the end of 1968 at least. I don’t own the car now but it certainly has a very strong case for being the first matching number lwb.

Regards
    Mike
    0004 also has a combination of SWB/lwb parts, produced in June 28. So that still leaves it undecided? Interior is race so can’t determine. Do you know it’s production book date?