Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First LWB

I picture the VIN, the engine numbers, production numbers, engine numbers, etc. all as individual accounting systems. All pieces came together under one VIN, wherever each individual component was in its build process. Was never meant to be orderly, other than basic accounting

Chassis 001 may have engine 008, production number 13, trans # 7, etc
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

I think Soteriks info of no 68 pieces on his 69 XX02 car is very interesting and should be taken note of(in regards to speculations of mixing parts between surtain yaers, i am not saying that was not done though).

Mike, engine numbers start with xxx101 dont they?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Take for example 9112100011 again. It was March 1971 production with essentially a 1971 body; no oil filler on fender. So not really a production car but a prototype of sorts. The various components were built in serial order; body, engine, transmission. One should say the VIN's were assigned in proper sequence, but the cars may not have come off of the assembly line in exactly the same sequence.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...e-this-before-...

John, as far as I know only the 901/01 and 901/20 engines started at xxx101, and the serial #'s previous to that were considered prototype engines.
    Last edited by davep; 11-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Hi Friends,

My car is vin 11910008 which dave has been helping me with.... I posted a question earlier in technical stating that my dashboard has no speaker cover or holes on the dashboard...
    does this mean its got a 68 dashboard? if it has then I think I need to check other items but I need a list from yourselves to check certain items?

I just wish there was a historian living near me who could inspect my car and document these changes....sadly the engine is different but im now getting small breakthroughs with
    history of its life in SA, the car was the first imported into the UK through rob walker..... I now have an previous owners name to check but not have much luck at the minute :- Mark Wade - worscott fourways in South Africa....

Thanks

Sorry 119100008..... missed a zero and dont want to confuse the situation...

Lee

A 68T with a South African connection could have some competition history or association. You would be well advised to read read read several threads on here. 'Out of Africa' thread for one.
    Pictures will help to determine what you have. There's lots of expertise on this forum to help you.
    I know of one other 69 car with a lower chassis number than yours which also has a 68 dash ( with speaker perforations)

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

thanks Mike...

my dash has no perforations does this still mean it could be a 68?..... I have a few pics but there large files,
    can i pm you?

Lee

Lee

Yes, it could still be a 68 dash and with no perforations means no radio probably which again means a low option car which means it could be more of a competition car especially with the SA connection. There were a lot of rallies and Motorsport around that time in SA.
    You can send any pics to mikebirtwistle at aol dot com ( you know how to decipher that, yes?)

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by leedurrant73 View Post
    . I have a few pics but there large files...

Lee
    Lee,

Very curious.
    Please post them onto this thread. The site will size them appropriately.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Hi, will post later but only have a few pics until i get home in december... they are pics of the outside of the car only,
    dash pics will follow...and may get to wif to send me them... how do i post pics

Lee