Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halda Rally Computer-e

Halda Rally Computer-e

After the mechanical Twinmasters, Speedpilots, etc., Halda developed their first electronic unit - the 'Computer-e'. It was used in many of the 80's Group B cars. I've got one in the Rally Wabbit and we beat the crap out of it at LSPR. Fixed the drive unit with zip ties and duct tape and got mud all over it. They are very intuitive computers and work great. Then I saw one pop up on eBay and the auction finished today, for $1800 Turns out they are extremely hard to find and guys in Europe restoring 80's rally cars are paying big money for them. As much as I like it, it will be carefully removed, cleaned and put up for auction!

Halda Computer e.jpg

a IMGP2038.jpg

For anyone interested, we've now got our rally computer out of the car and up on eBay. Bid high and bid often.

eBay: HALDA RALLY COMPUTER-e

Curt,
    Do you know when in the 80's they started using this computer?

Rick, they were used by Audi starting in 1981. As I recall, they may have first been sold in the late 70's. They were used in the SC/RS and other 80's 911 rally cars for sure.

We have had an unbelievable number of requests to sell it off eBay, but we'll let the auction run its course. This is the only one I've seen for sale with the remote zeroing control.

The latest Octane (Jan 2012) has an article on John Hanlon's car. This is IN-NE 3, the ur ur-quattro! The one Mikkola used as course-opening car at Algarve in 1980 just as a first test to see how things would work out. Had he been competing, he would have won the rally by 30 minutes! It's restored to its 1980 Algarve specification and Hanlon is a stickler for accuracy. It's got a Halda.

Octane Jan 2012 2.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 11-29-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Final selling price on this was just over $2000. Looks like it is going to Italy (via NJ), probably for a Lancia 037. Interestingly, we had an inquiry from Germany to buy the unit off eBay for a Group B quattro being restored for the Audi museum.

I had a tough time sourcing one , so, like everything else i cant find, I made it! Think I can sell replicas?
    018.jpg

Is it me or do the inside of these cars look like something out of death race
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

in a 911 that won some long ass rally
    g_pic_959_6.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by SERIES900 View Post
    I had a tough time sourcing one , so, like everything else i cant find, I made it! Think I can sell replicas?
    018.jpg
    Damon! You've stolen our idea We were thinking (like everything else) a Chinese factory could re-pop these things without breaking a sweat. Realistically, I've got enough irons in the fire and don't need any more projects ...

BTW, our Halda actually went to a guy on the east coast who's building some sort of 911 Safari-rally car. And my buddy just sold another this week to Germany that's going in a works quattro A2 that is being restored for the Audi museum.