Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: RUF conversion of a '72 2.4S Targa to convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I'm betting the top is from an '84 Carrera Cabriolet, especially considering the build sheet...
    I completely agree. The lines are 'similar' but not the same. Still I'd love to see close-up shots of the car in every angle.

Though I'm not sure thats going to happen... yet...
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Quote Originally Posted by aporschaguy View Post
    I completely agree. The lines are 'similar' but not the same. Still I'd love to see close-up shots of the car in every angle.

Though I'm not sure thats going to happen... yet...
    Why do you say that? As seen the pics I posted yesterday, poor car is dirty and little space around it due to the crowded hall it stays in at the moment. Which details would you like to see exactly? I'll make it for you during this weekend. But I'll pull it out from there within a month or so and will see and make its engine first. Want to see what's in there and how worn it is? Body has nothing to weld on just to totally take apart for a complete repaint.
    George

Sorry that wasn't an insult. The language barrier can often be troublesome especially when being sarcastic.

Please let me rephrase. "Though I'm not sure thats going to happen as it has 'yet' to be released..."

lol I'm not sure if that worked... I hope so as this is a great thread......................
    Last edited by aporschaguy; 12-01-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Quote Originally Posted by aporschaguy View Post
    Sorry that wasn't an insult. The language barrier can often be troublesome especially when being sarcastic.

Please let me rephrase. "Though I'm not sure thats going to happen as it has 'yet' to be released..."

lol I'm not sure if that worked... I hope so as this is a great thread......................
    ...I did not take it as an insult but the car is not too nice in its present state, also its surrounding now, so the closer the shots the uglier it seems...I hope my written English language is understandable for all of You. Seriously, which part of it are you seriously interested? The luggage room is painted awfully, black that I hate...
    George
    Last edited by sambapati; 11-12-2016 at 12:44 AM.

We love seeing all the details...great for before and after comparisons...keep 'em coming!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by sambapati View Post
    Hi Peter,...but it reads better "BMW 257" as far as I can read although with eyes not of an eagle anymore.
    George
    George:

You are correct. I should've made the picture bigger when I first looked at it!

BMW 257 equates to "TOPROT" which is a red variation. Hmmm???

Let us know what you find as you remove the paint.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hello to All, please see below a renowned (or just known to me?) European classic Porsche dealer's opinion about my car:

"...a nice clean original 2.4S Targa has a value of 50 to 70K Euros. A chopped or altered Targa does not, no matter who did it. In 1984 that car was a 12 year old used car, most likely worn with lots of KM. in 1984 Alois was at the beginning to being famous but he was not a car manufactorer as he is today. At that time he had a small shop with 4 or 5 guys working, he just did the first 5 speed Turbo gearboxes. The RS engine may have some value but it is a 74 engine and not a 73 and it is not the original engine. Chopping a old used Targa in 1984 when one could buy a real Cabrio from Porsche at that time simply does not make much sense. It sure made sense for Alois, great business job. The owner should have bought a new 3.2 Cabrio and have Ruf change the body to F style, as Stinger does today."

What's your opinion regarding above? Thanks,
    George

At the end of the day, you're going to get a THOUSAND opinions. The more you ask, the more opinions you'll get. Everybody will have a different idea. It all boils down to what YOU think and what you like. There must've been something that attracted you to this car in the first place. You knew what it was, and if you didn't like it, why buy it?
    Are you worried about VALUE? Or enjoying the car?
    I have RUF restored RS. Done a little before your's was done, at RUF. The engine stamp is *RUF28012* and it's a 2.8. The original engine was replace when they did the car.
    Does it MATTER? Some think so, some don't. PERSONALLY, I think it's TOTALLY cool, and the best driving early car I've ever been in...
    Don't worry about what others say or think. Enjoy the car.
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

...Don't worry about what others say or think. Enjoy the car.[/QUOTE]

I do and I will, thank you. I think the same just wanted to make you see stuck-up and "wise" European dealers' attitude towards something that they've never met before "in such form"...here is another one: "...I don't think that Ruf is a well history for a collector Car. Everybody wants to have it 100 percent original."

I'm just laughing at those...finally, this forum is for to share such things with you, too, and your opinions as of the most competent people in these questions who started that hobby supposedly much ahead of me (I started with VWs in 1980, with Porsches in 1997) count to me, that's all.
    George
    Last edited by sambapati; 11-12-2016 at 12:48 AM.

Early work by an artist is special. And Ruf has street cred.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow