Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Un-Ubiquitous Carrera 3.0

Here is one currently on EBay..... will cost a few dollars to restore...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...#ht_500wt_1182
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

here is my 76 Carrera .

the 13 th of 113 made with the 2.7 RS MFI Type 911/83 motor,
    factory limited slip,non sunroof,manual widows #S matching built 6/76

next on my list is a 76 turbo also in silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the Carrera 3.0, it's a really good driver...
    Mine i just sold to a good friend ...

Quote Originally Posted by magnus walker View Post
    here is my 76 Carrera .

the 13 th of 113 made with the 2.7 RS MFI Type 911/83 motor,
    factory limited slip,non sunroof,manual widows #S matching built 6/76

next on my list is a 76 turbo also in silver.
    Color me envious!
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

My buddy Rich W. here in New Jersey has a very nice '77 Carrera 3.0 ... he gives it a regular beating at the track.
    Here it is at Summit Point.

Thanks Magnus, OliveR, and Mark for posting those pics. Interesting that all 3 have different wheel looks. I am thinking of putting 205/60 and 215/60 tires on my car with the anodized/black center wheels. Right now it has 225/50 on both front and rear. My car is 9116600154 with engine 6660199...so it was built in late 75 I think. It has a black headliner (no sunroof), and black leather sport seats. These cars have a 300 km/h speedo also....pretty neat. Pics showing the interior coming soon.
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 12-03-2011 at 02:16 PM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    And then there is ferry's car which i believe is a 3.0-notice the mirrors given in 74 to ferry with a 3.0

raj
    Raj:

I love those plaid interiors. If mine didn't have leather/w original leather sport seats I would like to have the plaid. The 76 was the first year for an electric mirror on the driver side, and still had none on the passenger side. Also, note that it has a rubber strip instead of the US style reflector in front, and huge headlight washers with a large tank under the drivers side fender.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Great post OP! I have just been doing some research into Carrera 3.0's as I'm thinking of buying one. In my search (before finding this post) I found there was very little info out there on these models (compared to others) and it was quite fragmented. So I gathered much of what I had found and put it into one blog post: http://www.colly.tv/the-porsche-911-carrera-3-0

I'll be adding bits to it as I find them - but if you spot anything that might be inaccurate please let me know and I will correct it.
    Cheers
    Colly

Colly:

A pretty neat site for C3.0 info is http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php which is a UK site managed by John Glynn. There is a section on Early Carreras which often has good comments and pics of C3s. If you Google 'Carrera 3.0' you will find many threads, articles, pics, etc....but you have probably done that already. Regarding your blog, I don't think the C3.0 is 'undoubtably a better car than the 2.7', as the 2.7 MFI Carreras are very neat cars and are a real kick to drive. Tests in the day did show the C3.0 has performance advantages over the C2.7 in midrange acceleration, but an MFI engine is always a treat, and these Carreras will always be something special.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

3.0 Carrera

Cool thread you have started here Gib. Back in the early 80's when I was doing the "gray market" deal, the 76/77 3.0 Carrera's were 5 years old at the time so they qualified for the 5 year EPA exemption, so you just had to do the DOT. I ate these car up. Probably brought in 50 back in the day. Not much more that I can add after Colly's post. These cars were 76/77 turbo's without flares and a turocharger. It was the first 911 normal to have a aluminum cankcase. I believe the case type was 930/01. They had differant pistons of course to bump up compression from the turbo's 6.5, or 7.0 ratio. They were rated at 200 hp compared to the later SC @ 172. The internals were indentical so the extra HP must have come from the exhaust and the fuel distributor had a differant part #.
    I was glad to see Magnus's post about his #013.I just finished #028. Yes, all those cars were built in June of 1976 at the end the 76 3.0 carrera run.