Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Un-Ubiquitous Carrera 3.0

I also need to comment on those wild seats in the Martini targa. Those are factory Porsche done seats. I was working on a 85 911 cab once that had a lot of work done at the "special wishes" dept. They had those EXACT seats in it. In the price list for the options installed at werks 1, there were refered to as "Fuhrmann" seats. They must have been a idea/design of Ernst Fuhrmann the father of the 356 4 cam.

Interesting thread that you started Gib. Your car looks great and love those plaid interiors. Back when I was looking for my first longhood, I came across a freshly restored silver 76 Carrera 3.0 for sale. I agonized long and hard over that one and in the end decided to hold out for an early car. It was for sale in Toronto, I believe and priced a bit strong for the market at that time (I think). Maybe I shoulda pull the trigger...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Rick, or anyone, can you post the VINs and engine S/Ns for the 113(or 123) C2.7 MFI cars of 76? My C3.0 VIN is 9116600154, and after Rick's comment about the C2.7s being produced at the end of the 76 C3.0 MY run but with 013 and 028 VINS, I am curious how they assigned VINs for those cars now. How did they differentiate between the C3.0 and C2.7...did they reserve the first sequence numbers for the C2.7s?
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Don't have the engine # handy, but the chassis #'s of the special 2.7 cars had the 9 in it. Like the off production line cars.
    Mine is 9116609028. So it's 911, 1976, then 6 for carrera,0 for coupe, 9 for off production line, 028 means the 28th car. So the VIN on Magnus's car should be 9116609013

Thanks, Rick, for clearing that up.

I have been playing around with various looks for this car...wheels, and to give the car an early car look, here are some pics with bright H4s. It does seem to bring the car back in time a little. Some would say...yes, but you need to give the wheels the early car look like Rick did on the blue C2.7 above. The polished (Turbo style-according to Harvey) wheels that were available in the day (on the car now) help the bright H4s look I think. Going with 195/60 and 215/60 tires may also help the earlier car look as would a 'Carrera' script.

Ooops...here is the C2.7 MFI that Rick restored with the early style wheels...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letsrollbabe; 12-06-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

As you can see, I went with painted headlight rings to match the car. Just personal preferance.

Your car, along with all the others posted so far, is beautiful. The blue car you just posted that was restored by Rick is not a 2.7 car. It's also a 3.o, but Rick upgraded it with MFI and S cams (I believe), basically an 2.7 RS spec built on a 3.0 case. He said in another thread that it was a real screamer.

Correct, 3.0 liter with MFI

Gib - thanks for starting this thread. I ended up with Rick's Minerva Blue C 3.0, and think we corresponded a year or so ago about your car. The platinum paint on yours looks great, as does the entire car. These cars are really underappreciated, but hopefully now that I own one that will change.....

Although my blue C 3.0 is very original - #'s matching, matches entirely to COA except center console, engine compartment light, front Koni struts, 7 and 8x 16 Weidman wheels, and possibly the whale tail - I think Rick did a super job of both design and execution in mildly hot-rodding it. Whereas the factory 3.0 CIS on the early crank is great, I really prefer the MFI character with the 3.0 torque and durability.

Here is a link to a similar thread on Pelican - I put some more pictures of my car over there as I don't have time currently to downsize them for uploading here.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post6414919

There is also a C 3.0 registry list that I've seen, and if I can find the link again I'll post it.

Best,

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Bob:

I do remember our discussions, and I have to say I envy that 3.0 MFI engine. I had one in the 72S/RSR Prototype Martini car that Mike Moore now has. It was a great engine and made for a very snarly ride. I agree, Rick did a great job with your car. I have been tempted to replace the CIS with MFI, or switch to carbs, but for now I will keep the CIS. My engine has been rebuilt (9k mi since) and it seems very strong....and it starts and runs great...even on the rare days when it is cold here in AZ.

I really like the look of the Blue 3.0 though.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17