Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1974 Carrera USA Info Thread

1974 Carrera USA Info Thread

There seems to be some interest on the board lately about these cars and my hope is that this thread can be the repository for information specific to the USA 1974 Carrera. I'll start it out with a paper I have been working on for quite some time regarding the performance of these cars. I think I've now collected and reviewed every contemporaneous publication that tested these cars. This started as a bunch of handwritten notes for my own education as I tried to reconcile all sorts of conflicting information regarding these cars.

Perhaps more interesting than the performance data itself was what I learned about the large differences in testing methods utilized by Porsche and the various magazines.

This is in PDF format and I don't think it can be posted here directly, so here's the link. It should open right up in Google Docs.

Observations on 1974 Porsche Carrera USA Performance

I think you can download directly here: Download

Production numbers:

74 production numbers.jpg

Brilliant article! Finally an objective and well-researched look into a great year and a great car. I've grown tired of everyone parroting negative comments about these cars with no actual seat time in a '74S/Carrera.

In the course of your research did you find any big differences between the '74S and the '74 US Carrera besides asthetics? From all the digging I've done the '74S has the exact same suspension as the Carrera (engine too, but that's a known tid-bit).

Nicely done.
    Nate Y
    Early 911S Registry #1232

Thanks Nate. I didn't look at that at all. But C&D did test a 911S Targa and it was just fractionally slower (0-60MPH = 5.9s, 1/4 mile = 14.6, top speed = 129MPH). Engine, final drive ratio and gearing is the same. The only variables would seem to be added weight of the Targa and aerodynamics?

Cool thread Curt. I'll post some pics of the two I have at the shop...

Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Great job!
    Mathis Engineering
    mark@mathisengineering.com
    74 MFI Carrera
    77 3.0 930 Turbo Carrera
    2000 996 GT3 R
    2004 996 GT3 RSR

I'm going to steal some info from Mark's excellent 74 Carrera restoration thread here: 1974 Carrera Restoration - Family Owned Since 1975

RE: Tunnel Reinforcement

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc. View Post
    Yeah...around the shift coupler access, there's a reinforcement that goes through the firewall to the torsion tube.
    tunnel reinforcement 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc. View Post
    From the inside...
    tunnel reinforcement 2.jpg
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 12-03-2011 at 02:59 PM.

RE: Fogs Lights

Bosch 0 305 450 022 (911 611 206 01), all chrome, standard H3 lamp. 74-only, changed to black in 1975.

Fog Lights 1974 Carrera USA small.jpg

RE: Rubber Chin Spoiler

There's discrepancy on this. Some sources say the chin spoiler was phased in at the end of the 74 Carrera production cycle. This doesn't make sense to me as the purpose was to balance out the larger 75 Carrera 'whale tail'.

RE: Weltmeister window stickers

It appears that the early 74 Carreras used the "1973" sticker ("Gewinnt CanAm & Interserie 1972"). At some point, a new sticker was produced signifying "Gewinnt CanAm & Interserie 1972 & 1973". Since the Interserie finished in late September 1973 and the CanAm season finished up in late October 1973, the changeover was probably around October since they clinched the title sometime earlier.

gewinnt73.JPGgewinnt 1972.JPG