Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska

More Dawson, BC to Watson Lake, YT

Rolling, rolling, rolling . . . . Taylor, Baldonnel, Ft St John

Easy to make progress. Traffic was light, easy-going, nobody crowding or holding anybody up. Even the Big Rigs. Actually, especially the BRs. (More on those, later.) I can't recall being held-up or stuck behind any one, for any length of time --- Pachyderm excepted.

Good driving country, too . . . fine roadage. Long sight-lines, wide corners, a bit crowned but usually super-smooth --- no pot-holes. (Good thing . . . on those 50-series B-stones, I could almost tell what color the stripes on the road were.) Usually cruising ~75 MpH, especially as I got further North.

No Big Cities along the way. (Whitehorse is the biggest --- pop = ~25k)

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Dawson Creek, BC to Watson Lake, YT

Big Country.

I’d drive like this, for hours . . . wide-open country two-lane, unknown/un-named/unfamiliar territory, scenery changing only slowly, weather same . . . . . . . never got tired of it, never bored, or stiff-necked, or butt-sore. There’s something about driving like that, relaxing/peaceful, satisfying, especially when there’s no schedule + itinerary + time-line + schedules . . . or anything. Never had a specific destination, no reservations, no plan. Just me in the car, map open in the seat next . . . someplace to go to, up yonder. No concerns about the car. Really enjoyed just running it . . . long distances/times, maybe --- but easy stuff. Steady speed + RPM, no load. I was acutely aware about operating far from home, but . . . . the car just ran like it always ran --- a low/softly-buzzy/muscular metronome . . . eating up the miles.

It was subtle but I did notice some changes, small. Like power lines. Nothing signals/underlines any upcoming town + settlement + habitation like all those poles and wires that spread out all around ‘em . . . arteries/spider-webs. The further North I went, the less-and-less numerous + extensive + substantial those were. Eventually, they disappeared. Mailboxes, too. I’d usually see them, where some side road --- small or not, paved or not --- touched the Hwy . . . close-by, on the shoulder, at first . . . then retreating into the trees/brush . . . then gone . . . .

Last to disappear, also the most telling? . . . the lines on the road. When the road went blank, unmarked --- it felt funny, lonely, lost. At that point, apart from any on-coming traffic, the only man-made traces were the road itself, me . . . and the occasional jet contrail.

And the mile markers . . . posts, white? . . . off to the side, at the very edge of the clear-cut.

Navigation was simple. The Hwy goes That Way. Signage was rare/brief --- distances to upcoming destinations were given in miles, with mile-markers to count down any progress. Without junctions or turn-offs or transitions to interrupt, no way to get lost.

Not a lot of civilization ---- just some few towns + buildings along the way. Some place names had only a few scattered structures + mail-boxes + power lines strewn at the roadside. Small places were stuck in everywhere. Woods hid a lot, some could only be seen after dark . . . not every building was in a town. And so, seeing something built, a structure --- anything --- suddenly, under + among the trees, or on a hillside, especially after hours and hours, brought some excitement, later . . . relief.

The only practical issue that came up was fuel. It was always available, plentiful --- no shortage of places to tank-up. But. Hi-test was not always on offer. And, given the M3’s compression + octane requirements . . . . THAT became A Concern, especially in The Yukon. My regular practice is to fill fuel tanks full, then run them dry --- keeps junk from settling, flushes the system, and fuel’s always fresh. Running further North, I’d noticed that stations had Diesel and 87 RON, but not always hi-test.

There was this one outfit that always seemed to carry 91 --- had a particular checkered-flag logo on their signage, something that I came to watch for. After one close call --- OBC had my ‘range’ at under the distance to the next town (like, a LOT), so had to drop my speed waaaaay down, until that range number came up --- I’d top-off every time I saw one of those stations --- including a 10-litre plastic fuel can that I’d decided to pick-up along my way --- boost my range . . . ~350 mi + maybe another 50 miles? w/ the 10l, ~400 mi @ 75 MpH.

R

1) --- Race Trac was my only hi-test source between Dawson Creek and Fairbanks . . . ‘checkered flag.’ And check-out my fellow travelers’ rolling stock. Never saw another BMW --- or Porsche --- in the two weeks I was up there. Locals got a real kick outta my 50-series Bridgestones . . . ‘got any air in ‘em tires?

2) and 3) Usual driving. Nobody ‘round. Swear --- on some stretches, if I’d wanted to? . . . probably could’ve laid-out on the road . . . got a tan. Maybe taken a nap.

4) Company! Only reason I took this picture of a mini-van was ‘cause I hadn’t seen anyone in, like, an hour

5) Don’t know what this peak is called, so I named it . . . The Wave
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

I can take these pictures . . . . . but they're just never big enough . . .

R
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Easy day driving, except for that monster rain. Stopped for a meal (I think), stretch, pics. Topped-off leaving Dawson Creek, then 2 more fuel stops --- in Ft Nelson (rain), and one other place --- just a station/no name/not on any map/'checkered flag' (w/ hi-test) --- 21.39 gal total.

Day 5 ended at 21:15, Watson Lake, Yukon Territory. 14:30, 618 mi/995 km

R
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-13-2012 at 05:21 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Wildlife

Lots of animals along the way. Not so much the first 4 days . . . but after.

Buffalo, Mountain Goat, all manner of birds and squirrels, Bear (family of 5), deer, one ginormous porcupine (oil-barrel-size!), a wolf (I think --- v long range, late) . . . .

And Moose. One particular.

It was before Watson Lake. I was tooling North, working my way through a series of long wide turns, a typical road wrapped around a typical mountain-side, clear, watching the scenery across a gorge on my left, not a soul . . . . come around a bend, not fast --- then . . . . construction-type warning sign, orange (I think), lights flashing.

Didn’t read the sign (never do), just lifted, changed down, watched ahead. No traffic back-up --- no traffic . . . just a few saw-horses, set up on the right-hand part of the road way . . .

Bright sky, polished road, sheer almost-vertical mountain wall, morning sunlight flooding . . . then, a dark, shaggy mound --- maybe 4 feet tall . . . . legs out to the verge.

Didn’t see much (or look . . . never do) --- went by in an instant . . . ‘--- moose? . . .

(Gulp)

Nobody around, no other vehicles. No debris. No flairs or tape . . . just a sign, saw-horses . . . sad.

Wonder what hit ‘em?

Few miles later . . . .

Roadside gas station.

Taurus/Sable-type rental car, red/maroon, laid up out front, at the side of the pumps, right by the road.

Nose donked, hood crushed (onto the motor!), windshield smashed . . . roof stove in . . .

. . . down to the headrests.

(Double-Gulp)

After that? --- when it got dark? . . . I stopped driving.

Still, had two casualties on this trip --- small bird, popped out of a bush, just as I passed. (Quick) And a chipmunk. (Not)

Rick

1) Young Moose? Or Elk? Jus' munchin', anyway. Not enough traffic to really shoosh the critters away, so, if I stopped, kept quiet, paid attention? --- all kinds o’ wildlife showed-up, roadside. Short summers/long winters so everybody’s busy eating, eating, eating

2) Good Ole American Bison. Free-range . . . vs livestock. (2200+ pounds wild, 3500+ farmed) Didn’t look all-that big. Seemed calm enough.

3) and 4) Saw a lot of this --- animals munching gravel at the roadside. Salt maybe? This small band of Highway Goat included some lambs that were snow white, black eyes/horns/hooves. These Guys put up with traffic passing somewhat-close-by, even me getting out, taking some pictures . . . long as I didn’t get too close --- then? . . .

5) . . . they’d just sorta nonchalantly step/climb/float up these rock walls . . . disappear --- smoke
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Rick

the whole idea is nuts, but awesome!!!

Reza

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Day 6, Watkins Lake to Fairbanks

Left next morning, before 8. Day 6 started out cool, clear, a few clouds . . . beautiful

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 6

Made it to Whitehorse by ~10. Tidy place, small, sits in the Whitehorse Valley, next to the Yukon River. The Al-Can is called the Klondike Hwy, here, and moves Northwest on the West shore. There’s actually a lake, right in the middle of everything --- Schwatka . . . flood control, maybe?

My Sis had some people she wanted me to look up when I got there, so I hung around town for, like, a half-an-hour, visited, tanked, then took off. Could’ve stayed longer but the weather was looking like it was thinking about maybe turning and, frankly --- not much to see, really . . . unless I was looking for an Outfitter. Or heading out for the fishing/hunting. (Uh . . . no)

1) . . . for us Tourists

2) Lake Schwatka

3) Whitehorse International

4) Moving on
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 6

After Whitehorse, things got quiet, again . . .

Hwy meandered due West. No crossings or turn-offs or junctions. But no real landmarks, either. Pacific coast is 200 mi Southwest, other side of these mountains --- the first snow-covered ones I’d seen.

Just Haines Junction . . . ~100 mi on from Whitehorse. According to my dog-eared 15-year-old AAA map-book, The Hwy makes a sharp turn North, there . . . and Haines Junction was the only town/settlement/collection of buildings of any size/consequence before Tok, AK, the next town . . . 290 miles further . . . total distance = ~400 mi.

With a some attention to the trip-computer, the M3 could manage ~300 miles --- and I had another 10l/2.5g in the back-up gas can in the trunk --- maybe 70 mi-worth? . . . total range = ~370 mi.

Real happy to see Haines Junction. (And their Shell station.)

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 6

With the car topped-off, I could pretty much relax the rest of the way to Fairbanks.

1) Kluane Lake, Destruction Bay

2) Lotsa water

3) Looking North . . . (Notice the Big Rig --- I'll come back to him later.)

4) . . . South

We Can Be Heroes