Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Alaska

Day 8

Got back to the hotel, don’t remember much. Big steak, long soak, shaved . . . . early to bed, still light . . . . I remember having to pull on/adjust the black-out curtains a couple times, to get the room really dark. Big bed = slept fine.

Left Fairbanks the next day --- 15-Aug, 05:45, mi = 64404, 62 F

In some ways . . . this was the best part of the trip. Things weren’t exactly familiar --- but they weren’t un-familiar any more, either. The roads, countryside, key land-marks/check-points, and especially the places w/hi-test . . . . all sorta known, now. Coming Up had been enjoyable enough --- driving/touring, but I was still a bit on edge, circumspect . . . . watching/thinking/checking my maps/ calculating/etc . . . . between driving, taking notes/pictures, still keeping track of things . . . trying not to get into too much trouble

So, Coming Down? . . . having just come through a day-or-so before? . . . . I already had a fresh mental map of what’s what, so . . . could sit back, relax some, and see/do it all again . . . this time from a different direction, a different time of day . . .

I love to drive. Being in a car, driving somewhere, anywhere --- especially somewhere far --- keeping track of where I’m at, keeping track of the car, keeping track o’ me . . . . nothing like it, for me. And in a Real M3? NOT work. Throw in some new/spectacular scenery, stop watching a clock, roll off some easy mileage . . . . this is what I buy my cars for

(Seriously --- if I ever won a lottery? . . . probably wouldn’t have an address --- only a really nice garage . . . full o’ Drivers)

Anyway . . . having made it to Fairbanks, in good shape, seen some new country, even gone up to see the start of The Dalton . . . I was done

That time’ . . .

The only variable was The Weather. Leaving, things were a bit murky, then got sloppy, with an intermittent drizzle/rain trailing along --- not bad, just enough to glaze the road. And even less traffic

Cruising South, I could make out all the landscape more clearly, now with more daylight. Maybe it was the weather, but the scene looked completely different from the few days before. Everything --- the whole area --- looked under construction, almost un-finished, maybe ruined, like some giant abandoned gravel quarry, with vegetation on the tops of the piles/berms/mounds, shallow water flowing slowly around, clouds/rain/weather rolling in, like down a bowling alley, out of the Northwest, bleak

Wind shield vents open, and the foot wells, low heat, 'roof cracked, lights/wipers on . . . . and everything --- the whole place --- to myself
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 8

Dirty car pics

(. . . for you, Ed . . .)

We Can Be Heroes

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    I love this thread. It reminds me very much of my first cross country trip in my 912. first cross country trip ever. first time being farther west than iowa (well there was hawaii when i was 5 but that wasnt the great american west). we took backroads the whole way, including US 50 through nevada. drove through rocky mountian national park.. and many others..

I am with you 1) i love to drive and 2) i love this land.. even the sage brush gets me excited. and every time i think about the west i get sentemental and overcome with emotion. after that trip i wanted to do this very same one in the 912 until i realized the car might get too beat up on the gravel roads. needless to say, i get it, and i dig it man.

anyways, i love this thread. your joy your passion. the images, the details. this is what its all about. Thank you for sharing this trip with us
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I'm envious, you got way more bugs than I got That looked like a GREAT drive!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

More Day 8

Weather cleared, sailing smoothed . . . . and what had seemed like a long drive just two days before . . . . got very, very short. Same roads, speeds --- operating this far out, I never really extended the car, was careful always --- only now, everything just seemed to happen . . . sooner

Border Customs, 10:45 AM, 64 F, mi = 64705 --- ‘smell smoke’

Haines Junction, YT, 14:50 PM, mi = 64906

Whitehorse, YT, 16:30 PM, mi = 65000

Don’t remember the stops. Honestly? If I hadn’t taken notes (or looked at my credit card statements after) --- I couldn’t tell you that I ever stopped. I’m way more of a Traveler than a Destinator. Touring = moving. Except for these pics, a few souvenirs, my meals and the places I slept . . . this trip was all drive

1) and 2) Crossing back into the Yukon. This was after 9-11 but I don't remember having to do anything more than show my driver's license. (Good luck trying that now.)

3) Border area was surrounded by this stunted-looking scrub forest. Not sure if this is perma-frost or not

4) . . . Rollin', rollin', rollin' . . .

5) Back at Kluane Lake, North of Haines Junction
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-09-2012 at 04:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 8 . . .

Something about places like this . . . 'middle o' nowhere' . . . like meat said . . . but not really lonely

More like 'uncluttered'

When I think about it, no economy would be supported by Guys Like Me . . . Craigslist/swap meets, used cars, bargain hotels/roadside services, re-cycled everything. Whatever margins there are on the kinda stuff I buy . . . are pretty thin. Economists and corporations must really hate Guys Like Me . . . 'cause they can't make any money off me

Now keep going. Take away all the infrastructure that I don't need/use. Parking lots, curbs, bill-boards, fast food, chain stores . . . . all the nonsense --- just leave me the road

Here's what's left

I love what's left
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-10-2012 at 05:58 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 8 . . .

Pretty much flying, at this point . . . .

The only traffic that I can recall coming across were in the queues at the various/several construction sites, scattered along the way

It seems that Summer is the time for ‘road repair.’ Especially above Whitehorse, there were some pretty decent sections of roadway that were being repaired . . . . more accurately --- replaced. And, pending the re-constitution of the new sections . . . the old ones were --- gone. And in their place . . . dirt/gravel/whatever, somewhat casually/irregularly hosed-down to questionable taste

(This is why I’ve been running high-performance all-season tires, on all my cars, ever since. Sexy low-section dry-road tires work fine ---- when there’s a road. Take that away . . . and add, say, some occasional dowsing-by-water-truck . . . or a more-than-healthy percipitational episode? Prolly why I never saw a cop in the Yukon)

Anyway, I can recall several sections --- most well-over 20 miles --- all like this. M3 ate this stuff for breakfast --- even on stupid 50-section Potenzas. Not much cosmetic concern over running on gravel/mud --- nose was already well-rashed, and tires were tucked-up tight inside the wells so the (plastic) liners took most of the beating/abrasion . . . . car came through fine

Besides --- I'm an idiot . . . I just love all the wear/tear/battle-damage from stuff like this . . .

‘What happened to all the paint on your car’s nose?’

‘Alaska’

1) Queue

2) Road gone

3) . . . rain aloft . . .

4) and 5) Just headin' South
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-10-2012 at 06:00 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 8 . . .

Weather barked but never bit

Wouldn't 've mattered, anyway. E30s take to water like ducks . . . and Real M3s are only hornier. When it rains? . . . I speed up. (Does radar even work in the rain?)

Anyway, coolish temps --- 60s

Some Summer

Watson Lake, YT, 22:45 PM, 64 F, mi = 65277, Big Horn Motel, rm 202
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Day 9

05:00, 57 F

My best day

Two gas stops . . . Ft Nelson, Ft St John

A week-or-so behind the wheel, and I am so in a groove, now

Know my way

Car’s purring

Scenery blurring --- not

I can never get enough of looking out the windows. Clouds/sun/sky utterly transform a scene I’d only seen a few day before . . . and I’m just as stunned. The amount and the scale and the magnitude and the detail . . . .

. . . an alluvial wash lining the bottom of valley a good mile wide . . .

. . . watching out for goats again, on a road hung off a cliff wall . . .

. . . seeing the clouds shadow an empty strip of road unfurling before me, endlessly . . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-24-2012 at 06:04 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Day 9

. . . losing the signs . . .

. . . and the lines . . .

. . . and time . . .

. . . and having this piece of the world --- to myself
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-24-2012 at 06:05 PM.

We Can Be Heroes