Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1973 911 S...What would you do?

Joe:

I remember seeing this viper green 73S in about the same position when I picked up the wide-body Dalmation 73T from your garage a few years ago. In looking it over carefully, I saw that it was a flawless restoration with paint that is superb. I am in the camp that recommends putting the stock motor on the shelf and using that CIS based 7R case you have to build a hot rod engine. I would go for at least a 9.5 CR and either a SS 2.5L (90 mm x 66 crank) or 2.7L, and maybe a 10.5 CR with twin plug in either displacement. I doubt you will ever want to sell it, as you will never be able to replace it, so stick a hot rod motor in. You will probably use it more that way, because it will be truly addictive.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

member #1515
    Having been in the same situation many years back I think 2.7 exactly as in the RS keeping your MFI. Outside it is exactly the same, only your but will know the difference. The only minor change I would make, but only if still available in Mahle, would be to go up to 9.5 compression.
    The smaller displacement motors are fun, but you have to keep them wound up. The 2.7 RS is a great all-round motor which is a real pleasure to drive.
    Of course if money is no object and you want to eventually cash in, build the hot rod, but in that case why not just build a hotrod 964 and mothball your whole car!
    My view is Drive It!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

member #1515
    Having been in the same situation many years back I think 2.7 exactly as in the RS keeping your MFI. Outside it is exactly the same, only your but will know the difference. The only minor change I would make, but only if still available in Mahle, would be to go up to 9.5 compression.
    The smaller displacement motors are fun, but you have to keep them wound up. The 2.7 RS is a great all-round motor which is a real pleasure to drive.
    Of course if money is no object and you want to eventually cash in, build the hot rod, but in that case why not just build a hotrod 964 and mothball your whole car!
    My view is Drive It!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I would go with the 2.2 S high compression pistons. I had one like that and it went very well.

Bob

just for the record, a couple of you guys are mistaken Joe Battista is not Joey Bautista. Two different people, both RG guys but Joe is from Illinois and of course Joey is from my Nor Cal chapter.

Just thought I'd clear the confusion... Nice car Joe
    [COLOR=Navy][SIZE=5][FONT=Impact]CRIS

Cool

2.7 and don't look back. Everything else would be the same with matching numbers and completely stock looking. Let some one in the future revert it back to slow and stock if they hate the extra performance. No, I know what bone-stock sympathies are, but jeeze, the paint demands it!

Rock on. The paint scheme looks great. Can't wait to see the finished photos!

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Hi Joe, good to see your car coming together.
    We did two versions in the day. One was to add the 2.2S pistons if the bottom end didn't need anything and the other was 2.7 (hi comp) pistons if we opened up the case. Both are good, but the 2.7 torque is hard to pass up and we wound up doing the 2.7 mod to almost all except the very low mile cars. This was 1973-76 BTW. Not much changes...
    My vote is with Jens, and the 2.7 even though I have the 2.2S pistons in mine, (low on torque but fun).
    H

Ooops Thanks for the heads up Cris.

Great looking car and I appreciate this discussion. I've been having the same thoughts myself. I like the idea of the higher comp 2.7 as a great all-arounder but always end up thinking of something more exotic. Can a 5R case survive well as a high comp 2.7, or is it better off with 2.2S pistons?
    If a significant rebuild is in the cards (splitting the case +) I'd be tempted to set aside the matching motor and build something wild out of a less valuable chunk of magnesium (or even aluminum).

Good luck!

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 12-09-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

+1 on that opinion!
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/