Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1973 911 S...What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by joseph battista View Post
    Hello Guys

Many thanks for all your comments...Now I'm really confused.

Hopefully I won't need to do anything, I'll keep you posted.

The lift is a Rotary and is now NLA, and I believe it is almost 911 specific.

Thanks Again
    Thanks for the info Joe, I'll do a little searching and see what comes up.

Good luck..
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

[QUOTE=sithot;545613]Rotary still makes a mid rise lift. http://www.rotarylift.com/templateProduct.aspx?id=720

As for fitting out a garage I used a local company that is run by some really good stand up guys. I bought my Rotary 2 post lift from them. They delivered and installed it in my barn.
    They sell all kinds of cool toys like rotary compressors, driers, nitrogen generation machines and just about any sort of tool used in the auto service world. I'd be broke if I hung around
    the place too much.

http://www.hikoinc.com/

Ask for Joe Kouten[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info sithot, I personally like the idea of the mid-rise because it appears to be easier to move than a 2 post and I can put a motorcycle on it.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Olde Threade Alerte! . . .

So . . .

. . . how'd all this finally turn-out?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

I don't have an update on this car ...but am looking forward to it......I do have an update on the 2.7L 9.5 to 1 Mahle Pistons & Cylinders that Chuck put in his car....Mahle is making this P&C set.....price is about $5,500 special ordered

It was fun reading this 'olde threade' start to finish but prompts a question: folks mentioned different displacements and compression ratios, plus porting the heads and changing the gear ratios...but no mention of changing cams to something like a DC40 (Mod S) or DC30 (Mod E). There are of course other threads discussing these cams at length...but I was hoping someone would put this all together - displacement, compression, cam, etc., all in the context of rebuilding a 2.4S engine where you may not want to make irreversible or externally visible changes.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott:
    I am sure you will get a bunch of opinions on this...so I will add mine to the pile.

Caveat: These are comments for the long stroke 2.4 base engine

If you want to stay 2.4 liters and you want to have a fun street engine, do the following:
    1. P&C: 2.2L "S" 10.5 to 1 compression pistons
    2. Cams: This is a personal choice, "S" cams will provide power higher in the rev range, "E" or "Solex" cams provide more torque.
    3. MFI over Carbs for the snap and instant throttle repsonse....with the pump properly space cammed to the engine cams you choose
    4. "S" heads

I have a 2.4 L engine with 2.2L "S" pistons, E cams, MFI and ported heads. I enjoy driving tight, twisty mountain roads, so the "S" cams would be a poor choice for me as it is difficult for me to keep the engine revs up in the tight and twisty roads I enjoy....Others may be better at keeping the revs up, but I am not so good at it, so having that little bit of extra low end torque is nice in sharp cutbacks that are too fast for 2nd and not fast enough for 3rd. With this set up, I still manage to be get myself in trouble...and as always..it would be great to have more power..

If you decide to increase the displacement to 2.7L

1. P&C: Optimal choice here are the Mahle 9.5 to 1 P&C set that Chuck put in his car. Stock RS would be Mahle 8.5 to 1.
    2. Cams: "S" cams.
    3. MFI over carbs as described above
    4. Heads: "S" Heads

The 2.7 liter displacement provides the torque the smaller 2.4 did not. thus allowing you to use the "S" cams over the "E" or "Solex" cams. The 9.5 to 1 P&C choice will give you that extra pop in horsepower that higher compression always provides. So you end up with a torquey engine down low and the screaming "S" cams up high.

I don't think you will find many folks on this board who would advocate carbs over MFI. The issue with MFI is the ability to get it sorted and tuned properly, and it is kinda pricey to buy if you don't already have a set up on your engine or on the shelf at home. Then as with all of these decisions, you need to make the cost benefit call

You can of course always go for super high lift cams and even higher compression....those decisions will probably require other changes like twin plugging the engine in the case of higher compression and reduced streetability in the case of higher lift cams. Ed Mayo told me one time you can change anything, but just be concious of the upstream and downstream consequenses of those decisions.

Lots of folks have opinions on pistons and cylinders other than Mahle. I can only provide you with the thoughts two people left with me:

Ed Mayo: "Have you tried the Porsche part?" I have heard Ed ask this question so many times when people ask him about the fitment and quality of this or that aftermarket part.
    Jerry Woods: "I am sure those other pistons and cylinders are very well made, but I have always used Mahle"

I am currently in the process of building a 2.7L engine, I think these two guys have something approaching 100 years of experience with these old buggies, I headed their advice

It's all good fun, I think a lot of us enjoy doing this type of research and canvasing others for opinions....so enjoy the ride

DM

MFI forever!
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

I have a 73 S targa- it has a really nicely built 2.7 RS spec motor in it right now - car came with matching #'s case. Engine has 230-240 HP and all I can say is it would be really hard to take that motor out and put a stock 2.4 S motor in it's place.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    '. . . fo' sale . . .'

Previous appearance . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=9113300907

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes