Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Common oil leak? MFI fuel pump drive wheel.

great looking product Mark, do you make or sell these? thanks Steve
    1969 911 E #824

The kit was made by Henry Schmidt @ Supertec. I forget the price, but it's a great kit.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

member #1515
    I had one of these leak back when my car was still under warranty. The dealer mechanic replaced it with the motor still in the car.
    I can't remember if he took the old one out or just pushed a new one in. He had worked at the factory maintenance garage, so I guess he had learned all the tricks.
    Wicks, did you ever sort out your handling problem?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    I have had excellent results using the KOCO Vitron seal 35 x 45 x 7 mounted in a alum cover plate that bolts up to the cam housing.

Attachment 398455
    Spoke to Supertec - they have but don't recco this kit for stock motors, one has to carve a piece of metal to use it. Just said pop a new OEM seal in, or two.
    --
    1973 911s / 1994 964 Turbo / 1997 993c2

Henry from Supertec and I were working on how to stop a 930 smog pump drive on my car from leaking, basically the same type of part. We put 2 seals back to back in the smog pump carrier and that seemed to have worked. The early cam tower is the same type of setup. Always a tricky area to seal if it leaks. You can tap the second seal in over the first seal - I would only use a Wrightwood Racing Viton seal.

Here is a pic of a 2.2S seal I am doing right now. And a cam tower with cam that is apart. Plenty of room to put 2 seals in but make certain they both go in perfectly straight.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Two genuine seals did the trick. It had some far too vintage looking black seal with no grooves on the outside and a single scrub. OEM seals much better engineered.

ps, YUKIWA jigger doubles as a great seal driver.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yuki...Vm8ca-Qta-M%3A

pss - yes, heat exchanger must be removed to get driving of new seals right. Mark the belt and pulleys together with some white-out and you won't have to re-time the MFI. Careful not to yank the belt and move the pump. Order new seals for head>heat exchanger and some new nuts (the special hex plus standard, exhaust rated ones not the usual metal), to do a tidy reinstall. Anti-seize? Your call. Mine almost stripped out during removal due to the heat-fused threads (I had to do a custom grind on my hex tool to get a good grip to remove the hex nuts), so I reinstalled with a tiny bit of anti-seize and spring washers on each nut. If one falls off, so be it, order some spares.
    Last edited by wicks; 11-04-2016 at 09:50 PM.
    --
    1973 911s / 1994 964 Turbo / 1997 993c2

Quote Originally Posted by rick2 View Post
    SRL After taking off the gear you will see the seal clearly and I use a curved seal tool and work the old one out from the housing starting with the cam side of the seal. I've only used the german brown seals from Porsche. You never want to install a seal "dry" so I use a small amount of the Bosch distributer lube on the inner part of the seal that touches the drive. I'm a red neck and use a deep socket that fits over the drive but still will fit inside the cam housing (26mm if memory serves) and insert seal cupped side in flat side out. Drive the seal in about 5mm past the cam housing and then I use the additional seal and repeat the process but stopping flush with the housing. These are only good for about 2 race seasons then the engines come apart anyhow.
    My humble $.05 Use what part of the directions you want. I am not politically correct so Merry Christmas!
    I had my seal walk out after a few thousand miles awhile back.
    Has anyone else tried this 2 seal method?
    My engine is out for flywheel seal leak and I'm replacing my mfi cam seal as it's been over 10 yrs. I'm not sure why but my new Victor seal does not seem like a very tight fit.
    Would a sealant be better?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    I have had excellent results using the KOCO Vitron seal 35 x 45 x 7 mounted in a alum cover plate that bolts up to the cam housing.

Attachment 398455
    Hello,

Is this kit ok for a 911E 2.0 liters ?
    And where is it possible to order it ?

Thanks !

I considered the double seal method but never did. Next time I'm going that route. Really seems to be a positive fix!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SFE View Post
    Hello,

Is this kit ok for a 911E 2.0 liters ?
    And where is it possible to order it ?

Thanks !
    Yes, Henry Schmidt @ Supertec can help you.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686