Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Sb Candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    Cheap too.....

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    Fast ugly?
    Im pretty sure that they are not even fast !

My Sc car is now on the market.....hopefully I'll be hunting for an Sb car in the not too distant future
    Last edited by Phil; 10-04-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: can't spell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1966-...item2c68b297c8

Just ignore all of the WOW!!!'s in the ad...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

mmmm... interesting, and it's a SWB, which I love.

The word wow comes to mind.

However you'd need to spend a fair amount to make it compliant for SB wouldn't you? On the other hand I could terrorise regularity with it!

So say I bought a targa; lets say a 68 S soft window which the rear zips out..., I know I can't just cut the windscreen and targa hoop off, but do I have to have glass in the frame?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Glass out and fit a super small plexi shield, say a respectable 4 inches tall. 900kg's

I reckon you'd only need 1 blade on a 6" grinder to do it too!
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car

"For open/roadster Group Sa and Sb cars the windscreens may be removed in accordance with 3.1.2. "

"3.1.2 Philosophy: The express purpose of these regulations is to ensure that vehicles in the various groups compete in a condition, mechanically and visually, compatible with the period of racing being portrayed. “Updating” in whatever form is not permitted. CAMS reserves the right to reject any vehicle which it considers not within the spirit of these regulations. Vehicles must conform with the appropriate group date specification in concept and in detail and which must represent one point in time in the vehicle’s history. Where any conflict exists between the requirements of current Historic regulations or the relevant period regulations, and the original period specification of the particular vehicle, the latter will take precedence except where:
    • components in a vehicle’s original period specification have been deemed to be unsafe for use in current historic competition;
    • components not in compliance with the relevant period regulations have been the basis for the vehicle’s exclusion from a period event; or
    • a substitution of component/s has been approved.
    The following evidence (given in order of priority) may be accepted to prove period specification:
    (i) Manufacturer’s specifications as evidenced by manufacturer’s handbook, workshop manual or spare parts list, sales brochures or magazine articles all of which must have been published in period.
    (ii) Any document, drawing, sketch or specification produced in period, which demonstrates that a manufacturer’s specification was varied in a period competition event. Specifications in magazines and periodicals of the period should desirably come from at least two sources.
    (iii) Reports from recognised experts who have inspected the car.
    (iv) Of lesser value will be:
    (a) Books and magazine articles written out of period by reputable authors.
    (b) Recent letters or statutory declarations by manufacturers, mechanics, engineers, designers, drivers and
    team members of the period.
    Where acceptable evidence of a car’s actual period competition specification is not available reliance may be
    placed on any FIA or CAMS recognition documents published in period for the relevant vehicle model.
    For Historic Groups other than Jb, Kb, Lc, S and N, a full history of the ownership and competition record of each vehicle should be provided to support any request for historic classification. This “line of history” should
    identify a continual chain of ownership and competition history dating from the manufacture of the vehicle until the present time. The “line of history” confirming the vehicle’s provenance must follow the progressive history of the vehicle as an identifiable entity regardless of the possible replacement of any or, over time, all of the vehicle’s component parts. Component parts which have been discarded or set aside, including a replaced chassis frame or body unit will not retain any intrinsic element of the “line of history” of the subject vehicle. Where a chassis or body unit has been replaced this will normally be noted in the Certificate of Description."

I think you can remove the screen, but would want it in writing before I busted out the angle grinder.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

I imagine all the Brit car drivers would cry foul...? Probably some German drivers also?

Ah, the tyranny of choice...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

This has been a long and never fully answered question of many.

I would think that all it would take would be a nice CAMS official when building it to give you an interpretation of the rules, and get it in writing.

Realistically, if you could cut the screen (even leave the Targa bar) you would pick up so much speed with the reduced drag. Rigidity would be the only concern, but that can be overcome with a good cage.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster