Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other License Plates . . .

Other License Plates . . .

When I was a kid, I built plastic models. Lots. Started out with cars, did some ships, armor, finally planes. Really got into it, too . . . work bench, lighting, special tools + brushes, mixed my own paints, had an air-compressor-cum-airbrush, etc, etc. Still have a couple hundred kits, stuff that I'd collected, most from up to when I was in High School, some after . . . I tell myself they’re all waiting for the day that I retire, set up some little work space, then quietly build 'em up --- assuming I still have the eye-sight, dexterity, mental acuity + patience to do so.

Anyway, I’d started out building the model kits that were being sold in stores. But as my skill/equipment/interest + curiosity improved --- and I learned more --- the stuff I was buying from all those hobby shops I was hanging-out in just wasn’t doing it for me. At first, I just modified what came in the box. But later . . . I started making some of my own bits --- from scratch. That kinda model-building got me looking into books . . . semi-technical historical texts full of photographs, line drawings, descriptions, tables --- reference materials for details, shapes, configurations, equipment, camouflage, markings --- all the stuff I was trying to model --- and missing from store-bought kits.

Studying all those aircraft subjects stirred-up another interest. . . . for machinery + technology + history --- the way they mix, how that showed up in aircraft. Head’s still full o’ that kinda stuff. Like why the Ki-61 gave way to the Ki-100 . . . ‘cause Kawasaki had an easier time getting reliable air-cooled radial engines than it did getting its suppliers to hold the closer-tolerances on license-built Daimler-Benz liquid-cooled DB601s, especially after the B-29 raids picked-up, starting in late ‘44 . . . worthless information when I was a kid . . . still so, 4 decades on.

Anyway, by my early teens, along with my kits, I’d started collecting books, about aircraft, for reference. But the book pictures weren’t always clear/close/detailed enough for me, either. So --- started going to museums and air shows, to get a look at the actual aircraft, myself, up close . . . take my own photographs. By High School --- cars, parties, girlies? . . . . not me. I had my Grandpa’s hand-me-down Plymouth, trips to Davis-Monthan, and a Canon Sure-shot . . . .

I think I only broke all that off to go to college, get a job, get married . . . . grow up. (20/40 --- and 6’5” . . . no fighter pilot.)

And now? Here? With a little time on my hands? That old strange interest + focus, attention to detail, reading + remembering histories, numbers, nuances of subject + type + sub-type, the pleasure to search + thrill to find . . . all have their outlet again . . . . here.

I don’t like to collect things, per se --- space, money . . . and I only collected little planes ‘cause I ended-up spending all my time + money chasing after big ones I'd never fly --- but, still . . . . I know that I have that impulse in me.

So I watch myself, make an effort to keep my tendencies manageable, reasonable . . .

And besides, cars are too big/expensive/inconvenient for me to collect. And mine move, go/take me places.

But . . . . there’s all kinds o’ stuff that comes with cars.

Like license plates.

I got into plates with my old Roadster --- don’t remember exactly how. But I do remember going to a 356 Event, up around Morro Bay, early ‘90s? There was a fella there, Ollie Shipstead, with this ’59 Coupe, red + Rudge wheels + damaged by stuff falling on it during an earthquake, being restored to concours. Ollie showed off a set of US Forces in Germany (re:occupation) plates he’d had for the car. Wow --- I'd never heard of anything like that. Started looking for my own set not long after that.

My car was already up-and-running, so . . . . I started collecting plates, all 1960. Funky stuff to stick on an Old Car, small, cheap . . . mostly. And fun. Plus, the variety. . .

Still have those. Souvenirs.

Now, I’ve got another Old Car, again. Time for plates . . . again.

Knowing myself, remembering, I try to limit my collecting to only some few things . . . chosen more for being interesting, than anything. If a lot of people have a thing, or if everybody wants the same thing . . . then that’s probably not interesting for me.

On the other hand, if something’s obscure or unknown or I’ve never seen one, or heard of it . . . or could imagine it? . . . . then I’m in. Besides, I’m modestly-meansed --- and obscure/unknown/etc means nobody wants it . . . . means cheap.

So. Rather than dilute someone else’s thread with my kooky license plate stuff . . . I’m starting this little thread . . .

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

US Forces in Germany . . .

. . . 1967 to 1973.

Silver on green . . . non-reflectorized.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Manitoba

Manitoba was the last municipal jurisdiction in North America to issue metal registration tabs (instead of stickers).

1970 was the last year.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Panama . . .

. . . Canal Zone plate . . .

Wonder how many vehicles could've been there, then? . . .

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Washington, DC . . .

Love to know who had this, back in the day. I've seen other DC plates that have XX-XXX number-series on them. Not this one. A special plate, maybe?

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Northwest Territories . . .

White on pale med blue-grey.

Love this shape --- 1970 is the 1st year . . . and kinda 'creative,' considering where it was made to be used. Just about the lightest + most delicate + flimsiest plate I've ever had . . . feels like heavy-duty Reynolds Wrap in my hands.

When I think about where this plate has been . . . amazing that it came through in this --- or any --- condition.

Zero chance of finding + fitting any kinda frame 'round this. Unless I make one.

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-09-2012 at 08:41 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

French Diplomatic Corps . . .

. . . 1966 to 1970.

Green-painted ~1 mm aluminum plate with raw alu letters

A original matched set --- long/skinny goes in front

Probably the thickest/heaviest alu plate I’ve had . . . with all numbers + letters deeply/expensively coined/embossed. Made to last. Really.

6 = USA

Normal designators are:

CMD = Head of the Diplomatic mission, Ambassador ("Chef de mission diplomatique")

CD = Member of the Diplomatic Corps

C = Consular

K = Administrative and technical staff, or consuls working in an embassy

Rick
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    White on pale med blue-grey.

Love this shape . . . and kinda 'creative,' considering where it was made to be used. Just about the lightest + most delicate + flimsiest plate I've ever had . . . feels like heavy-duty Reynolds Wrap in my hands.

When I think about where this plate has been . . . amazing that it came through in this --- or any --- condition.

Zero chance of finding + fitting any kinda frame 'round this. Unless I make one.

Rick
    Defintiely one of the most creative shpaed plates out there! I have a friend from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, and she had scored me 3 plates to hang up on the garage wall. Two blue letters on white background, and one red letters on white background.
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Hey, Keith . . . .

Nothing like having someone in the neighborhood, keeping an eye open for some interesting plates, swag, etc.

Post some pics, if you can? . . .

R

We Can Be Heroes

I bought one of those NWT plates in Seattle at the World's Fair way back when. Later I was told they were not real - just souvenirs for unwitting tourists like me Are they actual plates? Here's the plate back in the 80's on my Isuzu (complete with window-mount cellphone antenna!) :

Isuzu+Trooper.jpg