Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other License Plates . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    . . . bought one of those NWT plates . . . way back when . . . was told they were not real - just souvenirs for unwitting tourists like me Are they actual plates? . . .
    I've seen all manner of 'sample' and 'display' plates, stamped-out + issued over the years by just about any jurisdiction with the authority to turn them out. After all --- world's full o' tourists. With money. These plates usually get identified as such, maybe carry a funky number sequence --- something obvious.

The Real Deal usually looks like, well --- a bunged-up old plate . . . nothing too too shiny/pretty.

Also helps to have some references handy. . . .

http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/jp...1970's.jpg

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Hey, Keith . . . .

Nothing like having someone in the neighborhood, keeping an eye open for some interesting plates, swag, etc.

Post some pics, if you can? . . .

R
    Sure thing Rick! Here you go.

NWT plates by 912R, on Flickr
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

In the family since I can remember ...... not sure where we got it..... probably from the fifties.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Del Monte Forest . . .

. . . . aka Pebble Beach Resident plate.

Well --- not exactly a license plate, but still . . .

Now that thing's are going/have gone digital, instead of transponders and access cards and cameras . . . . kinda interesting to see how admittance into those Exclusive Gated Communities used to be done.

(Wonder if I can maybe sneak a free run down 17-Mile Drive with this, still? Then again . . . I don't exactly have a 'grill' to mount this on, in the front, so . . .

We Can Be Heroes

I tried to register our '66 on '66 Vermont plates I picked up. DMV folks thought it was a neat idea and tried to make it work, but the loopholes in the regs just weren't big enough. Keeping them "for display purposes only," though.

I used to see those Del Monte Forest plates sometimes as a kid. I grew up in the bay area and spent a lot of the summer bouncing around Santa Cruz and Monterey. Thanks for the reminder. Good times.

Display

Quote Originally Posted by tpdorsey View Post
    . . . I tried to register our '66 on '66 Vermont plates I picked up. DMV folks thought it was a neat idea and tried to make it work, but the loopholes in the regs just weren't big enough. Keeping them "for display purposes only," though . . .
    Good for you for trying.

I know how neat'd be, to have an old tag that's actually registered for the car. But 'display' isn't bad.

I've started collecting old plates, again --- year-correct styles ('70 for me), with vintage reg tags, even --- then matching 'em up with some of my old Porsche Dealer frames . . . colors, fonts, graphics, slogans, places --- and names . . . some famous, most unknown --- most gone . . . all from Back When

Not expensive, some work, kinda fun

Next time we go to a show? . . . . swap some of my 'display' stuff on

How many people will even notice?

How many remember? . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 03-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    I've started collecting old plates, again --- year-correct styles ('70 for me)
    I think I've already posted it in another thread but I have the YOM plates for my car from my home state. If I ever moved back I could register it there.

It's not only correct for year but for weight (at the time the first letter indicated the weight of the car and B = 2001 - 2500 lb; http://www.scplates.com/license-plates/weigh). Not especially rare or obscure but, by coincidence, a near perfect color match to the car itself.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

From my recent trip to Hawaii. The plate is not custom, just a standard Hawaii plate.

Saw this one yesterday, it's the second one I've seen, first time I had a camera with me. Seven character CA black plate?? On this car?? I didn't think the former existed and if it did you couldn't put it on the latter.