Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another 72 ST build

now for the alloy door skins
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

using photos of original factory doors Dave plots the spots for the rivets to attach the skin to the steel frame as per factory..he has original rivets for the job.

Thats where we are currently up to
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 01-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde:

This looks to be a fantastic project, and your choice of building a 72 2.5L ST is a great choice (I may not be totally objective here...). The flare and body work looks superb, and using aluminum for the door skins and an original rear deck elevates your project from most 'cloners'. I will be following your project, scrutinizing every detail to learn from your investigations into how guys built these cars in the day (they weren't all done the same). Keep the pics and detail commentary coming...please.
    Gib Bosworth
    EarlySReg 434
    R Gruppe 17

Mr. Boyer . . . .

I never get tired of seeing these cars torn down, stripped, and re-done . . . all the bits and shapes and details that appear as the work begins . . . then disappear behind the mechanicals, and under paint and coatings as the car finishes, never seen again.

Must feel good, too . . . seeing everything solid, straight, and fresh, all put right. A new car . . . and yours.

Great pictures, too. Please keep those coming. Also, if you can, share your thought process, and choices --- what to do, what to change . . . and to leave. Sources and costs would be nice.

Looking forward to more.

Rick

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

Outstanding Clyde......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Looking good Clyde!
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Very sweet Clyde! What color are you going with? Are you staying with the Viper Green? I dig the doors.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by letsrollbabe View Post
    Clyde:

This looks to be a fantastic project, and your choice of building a 72 2.5L ST is a great choice (I may not be totally objective here...). The flare and body work looks superb, and using aluminum for the door skins and an original rear deck elevates your project from most 'cloners'. I will be following your project, scrutinizing every detail to learn from your investigations into how guys built these cars in the day (they weren't all done the same). Keep the pics and detail commentary coming...please.
    Gib

Yours and Toms builds have been a source of great information, stimulation and motivation. Scott is now adding to that with his project.

I did not want the car to be "another clone" thats why we are going to great lengths to accuartely reproduce
    everything where possible. I was talked into doing the ST build instead of a restoration of another USA car I have owned for 6 years a 69S that Bill Noon used to drive.

If we get off track be sure to pull me back into line please.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Mr. Boyer . . . .

I never get tired of seeing these cars torn down, stripped, and re-done . . . all the bits and shapes and details that appear as the work begins . . . then disappear behind the mechanicals, and under paint and coatings as the car finishes, never seen again.

Must feel good, too . . . seeing everything solid, straight, and fresh, all put right. A new car . . . and yours.

Great pictures, too. Please keep those coming. Also, if you can, share your thought process, and choices --- what to do, what to change . . . and to leave. Sources and costs would be nice.

Looking forward to more.

Rick
    Rick

Trying to get rid of everything that the factory would have got rid of all in the aim of saving weight.

Viper Green is my all time favourite Porsche colour yet until now I have never owned a Viper Green car...Gibs build convinced me that the colour should remain Viper Green.

I don't have the time and unlike Tom don't have too many original ST parts in the bin so it will be faithfull reproduction all the way down the line....Dave the project manager and I are on the same wave length
    but it will be a concourse build at the same time.

Hopefully some genuine parts where possible.....original seats, steering wheel, wheels, alloy deck lid all accounted for and will be used.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Very sweet Clyde! What color are you going with? Are you staying with the Viper Green? I dig the doors.
    Viper Green all the way, love your project too, following it closely
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6