Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evaporative Emissions Under Cowl Photo

Evaporative Emissions Under Cowl Photo

Would someone please provide a photo of the mount for the '70-'73 "Evaporative Emissions "box"? (under the cowl-drives side hood hinge)

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I posted a pic in the thread just a few below. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ive-vapor-tank

Post #5

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

So, are there two of those "coat hangers" tack welded on?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Yes, two longhorn looking hangers. The rubber band goes around the rear prongs, between the box outlets and around the front prongs.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thank you, Ravi.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

How did i get here in the first place?

Preface:

After a few years of dealing with migration of trash from the tank to the carbs, I decided to change out the fuel tank. I heard "clean it out" and readily admit I've been down that road before. As a CIS tank has a "swirl pot" it cannot easily be cleaned without cutting it open. No deal.
    My experiences with vintage motorcycle gas tanks taught me no matter how well you think you've cleaned them, they always hide more "stuff". I've also had "one" good experience with lining a tank. It was a rare German made motorcycle tank that couldn't be replaced. Had I been able to replace it, I would have.

Chapter 1

Sure, it fits just fine!

I decided to use an RS tank for one practical reason and one that’s subjective. The practical reason - it will never rust. Subjectively - it just looks cool. It's heavy walled and, as I recall from the experiences of others, will take a pretty sound beating before ever giving up, although I know Dave Buhain tried very hard once.

The RS Tank is not a "bolt in" swap in a G body car, which means the standard battery will not work. It will not fit. (see-Chapter 2)
    There is more work as well to mount it in the car. Nut plates must be riveted to the body for the upper "RS" mounts and require locating/drilling. The front "RS" mount is off-center. Another hole must be drilled. Thanks to Aaron Hatz for his input and diagrams and Keith Walters for his description of "how to make it fit properly."

The incorporation of a Keith Walters/Zuffenhaus beautifully executed RS Skid Plate was next. https://www.zuffenhaus.us/2016/11/16...ates-are-a-go/
    The RS tank RIDES LOW. Keith pointed this out in a thread on Boba's car, Voodoo. They're using the 110 Hessental long distance ST/RSR tank in that car and it rides higher.
    On the G Body car this skid plate isn't a "bolt in" either. There is one issue I had not foreseen, as the battery tray on a G Body is located where one of the skid plate bolts is to be mounted. As you cannot get a wrench in the area it required different hardware, which meant I got to mount it a second time. I already had the "better mousetrap" hardware in stock, which Keith admitted would be his choice as well. Chalk this up to "Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then".

Chapter 2

"You can always tell the pioneers from the settlers." "The Pioneers have arrows in their backs."
    Damon Josz: “With modifications there are ramifications.”

The battery is the main hurdle. I narrowed it down to two choices.

I considered a Smugglers Box mount, but decided I'd wait for a machinist buddy to complete the new battery box mounting plate which will be used with a lightweight hold down for a PC925*. I also have another battery box option being shipped which utilizes an Optima D51.

Either battery requires a longer ground cable. The original Porsche battery is "long as train smoke" and the factory was thrifty with the original ground strap.

To be continued...

Tom

PS: Sincere thanks to Aaron Hatz, “Kaleid”, Keith Walters, Brian Fryar, Jonathan Newhall, Damon Josz, Cole Scrogham and Ed Mayo. Folks like them make the hobby fun because "they like to share"!

*PC680 with a Rennline mount is a nice option but not practical.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I figured there was a backstory. Man does not inevitably rise in the morning and say "I think I'll floss the evaporative emissions gear today."

And I hear you have been hanging out with reprobate Josz and his "Fifty Shades of Gray" 996, while I was at the Parade.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I still think I'm going MT51 on my '75 (haven't had a moment to look at it in weeks, though!)

If it needs a new part, it'll get a new part, if you know what I mean..
    keith
    '75 RS/RSR-look | '73 CB750 | '70 TD250B

r gruppe # 436

I like the MT51 just fine. Was going that way until a pretty piece of aluminum turned my head!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

member #1515
    Will the CIS work without a swirl pot?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs