Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911S / Turbo Build

911S / Turbo Build

So, my 67S project is now at Freddie's for paint and bodywork and what do I go and do? Start another project of course! I've got it bad guys....I really need help! No, seriously...I need help. Are you guys busy? Haha....just kidding, sort of.

I found the donor car on craigslist a few weeks ago. The title read "1970 911 Targa Turbo"....yeah that's what I said. No such thing right? Of course I had to call and when the guy told me the VIN and sent a pic of the engine I couldn't get over there fast enough! Turns out the car has a very rare (one of 284) 1975 Euro 930 engine. And get this, the chassis is in fact a 1970 Targa......S! Sold! I was really after the Turbo engine more than the chassis so I will pull the engine and 930 trans and then sell the roller to someone that will most likely restore it back to original. Anyone interested in a rust free 1970 911S with a clean title?

So then the search was on for a pre 76 non sunroof coupe. I went back and forth on building an early hotrod turbo car or a short hood 74-75 930 style car, both of which would not need to be smogged here in CA. While I really prefer the early cars, I decided I didn't want to deal with rust issues/paint on yet another car. I could get a much cleaner 74-75 within my budget and the engine swap would be a bit easier. I found this red 1974 911S that already had 930 flares and bumpers. It also had a fresh, bare metal respray and a new leather interior. The car was a bit over my budget but it came with BBS 3 piece wheels, an engine (not yet re-installed) and a 915 trans that I could sell to offset the cost. I picked it up in southern CA last weekend and was able to sell the engine while I was down there.

Here's where the story takes a turn. The car looked great and I was very impressed with the paint job but I soon realized there was a potentially major problem. When I was unloading the car from the trailer I noticed the front wheels looked like they were not centered in the wheel well...WTF? I figured it was just the angle or maybe because the front valance was not installed it just "looked" off center. I convinced myself I was seeing things....this lasted about 5 minutes until my buddy came over to help. So what does he say as soon as he first lays eyes on my shiny new car?..."Dude, why are the front wheels not centered?" Shoot (not really what I said)...maybe there is a problem? My first thought was that this thing has been hit bad and the front end is screwed. We had a good look under the car and there is absolutely no damage . Next thought....maybe some jack ass welded the flares too far forward? That didn't make sense though because the bolt-on rocker panels fit perfectly. Hmm...maybe we're both seeing things?

Yesterday I found some time to take measurements against the black donor car. Turns out the flares are mounted 1" forward of where they should be! Next, I ran my fingers under the bolt-on rocker panels and sure enough I found a 1" section welded in to extend it! Can you believe that? What kind of idiot would do that? It's such a shame too because the paint and bodywork is so nice. The guy that painted the car did not do the flares so he had no idea.

Ok, so now I'm looking at some paint and body work...great, just what I did not want to do. I'm the type of person who always tries to put a positive spin on things so I soon realized what to do. First positive- I already have perfect 930 fenders on the black car so no need to mess with cutting and welding the "botched" fenders. Here's where it get's good....hmm I already need to paint the fenders.....BACKDATE!!! I know, crazy right? But the decision has been made. Turn Lemons into Lemonade. I really wanted an early car anyways. So I have sourced some fender extensions already and I'm trading some stuff for a backdate hood that bolts to the '74 front bulkhead. I really have to pinch my pennies here and find some good deals on stuff to make this happen. I have a used front bumper on the way and just need to find an RSR rear bumper.

The style of this car will be a bit different I think. I'm not interested in building an RSR clone. I prefer the clean lines of the earlier cars so there will be no front lip spoiler or oil cooler opening and no duck tail or whale tail etc. Think wide body ST....Turbo! Hope you guys like it. Since my S will not be ready for Treffen, my goal is to have this car ready. It's going to be a ton of work but I think I can pull it off???
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by craighardy; 02-11-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Backdate started.

Step one....remove whale tail.
    Step two....remove rocker panels.

Hey, I'm almost done!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Craig, The car looks great! Total bummer on the flares though. I'm glad to see that this type of thing doesn't just happen to me all the time. Backdating the car with that turbo motor is going to make a really nice ride. I'm sure everyone at Treffen will love it.

Bob

Craig,

Changed your title..... a little less confusing I hope
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Check out this car, different animal similar idea...
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1257430
    1970 911E coupe
    1979 930 Coupe US
    1978 930 Coupe Euro
    1980 911SC sport
    1969 911S Coupe Euro
    1971 914-4 1.7

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Craig,

Changed your title..... a little less confusing I hope
    Thanks Chuck. Much better, I would have changed it myself if that was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by kllr901 View Post
    Check out this car, different animal similar idea...
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1257430
    Very cool, have not seen this one. Thanks for the link.

Very nice Craig. Knowing that you have an addiction is the first step toward recovery my friend. Either recovery, or we enable the additction, as only friends an do
    Can't wait to see this one take shape.

K
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Intervention. Its the only way to fix you.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

I think you guys are blowing this thing out of proportion. I can quit at anytime...I'm just having a little fun, get off my case man!