Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rare parts pricing

Banned

Rare parts pricing

Just had an interesting dialogue with someone about NOS dashboards (914, not 911). Suffice to say his opinion of value was... well... entertaining.

I recently sold an NOS 911 dash and many people are apparently confused as to how NOS parts pricing works. Let’s assume rarity is a given. Like it or not, pricing is directly related to the value of the most expensive model the part fits. In the case of the 911 piece it’s obviously an RS. In the case with my naive friend it’s based on a concours level 914-6 ($130k+ value?) rather than a lowly 914-4.

Example: You have two concours level 914-6 cars, almost identically prepared and they both have a tiny crack in their dashboards. How much would one of those vain egomaniacs pay to out-do the other?

Would love thoughts on this. Especially looking forward to hearing pissing and whining from 912 and 914 owners.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Example: You have two concours level 914-6 cars, almost identically prepared and they both have a tiny crack in their dashboards. How much would one of those vain egomaniacs pay to out-do the other?
    I'm guessing that owner #1 bid $4,500. What was your bid, Frank?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    I'm guessing that owner #1 bid $4,500. What was your bid, Frank?
    Ha!

Suffice to say for what he offered one couldn’t even purchase a set of John’s new headlights.

I’m the owner of said artifact so my opinion of value doesn’t determine what a buyer is willing to pay. But it would most certainly determine what it will be sold for.

Also adding to the rarity if it is an early 914 dashboard with the larger opening over the glove box. I paid $1,800 for a very nice used one 5 years ago that I put into my 914-6, of course the seller didn't know he had a rare early one.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

It all depends on how bad you want to sell something. If you put a super duper crazy high price on a part, chances are you'll die with it. If you are realistic about actually wanting to sell the part, you probably will. For example, I just sold a green metal NOS 356B T6 hood. It sold for $3000 shipped and that included crating. Could I have gotten more? Maybe, but I could also put $5000 on it and have it in the nursing home with me decades from now.

You basically have to decide if you're looking to sell parts that you have hoarded, or hoard parts that you might sell.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Interesting question(s) Frank. Coincidentally I have a low mile 914-6 with a little crack on the dash.

You stated
    I think the question is how much is the deduction for an imperfect dash. I do agree that a true NOS dash pad would command a strong price, stronger from the 914-6 owner than a 914-4.
    Last edited by Haasman; 07-01-2019 at 04:28 PM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    It all depends on how bad you want to sell something. If you put a super duper crazy high price on a part, chances are you'll die with it. If you are realistic about actually wanting to sell the part, you probably will. For example, I just sold a green metal NOS 356B T6 hood. It sold for $3000 shipped and that included crating. Could I have gotten more? Maybe, but I could also put $5000 on it and have it in the nursing home with me decades from now.

You basically have to decide if you're looking to sell parts that you have hoarded, or hoard parts that you might sell.

---Adam
    I actually look forward to having a nice little cottage industry with my cottage cheese while in a nursing home.

“Hey, wait a minute!
    That’s not GREASE on those parts!!”

Leave it to Frank to get peoples gears turning.... I for one price an NOS piece at twice the price of a good used part. If extremely rare maybe more but putting your thumb on what the market will bear is tough. It is the million dollar question.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post

---Adam
    I hope your customer isn't pissed when he gets his "NOS" hood. That hood is a later production, replacement hood (made in 1970?). It is a 356C hood converted to a B hood by the manufacturer. It has a flat piece of metal welded over the indentation for the hood latch to make a C hood fit a B. It is old, it is unused, it is made by the OEM, but one could argue that it isn't exactly "NOS".

Warmest Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    I hope your customer isn't pissed when he gets his "NOS" hood. That hood is a later production, replacement hood (made in 1970?). It is a 356C hood converted to a B hood by the manufacturer. It has a flat piece of metal welded over the indentation for the hood latch to make a C hood fit a B. It is old, it is unused, it is made by the OEM, but one could argue that it isn't exactly "NOS".

Warmest Regards

Jim
    We always offer 100% refunds so if he isn't happy, he can return it. We only have and want happy customers.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!