Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: My 904 replica build thread ...

Quote Originally Posted by john1180 View Post
    The big question is what's next?
    For sure.....what's the futur project ? another make ?
    jlc
    69 912 BARN FIND......55Kmiles
    79 SC us import

1702 member

Sorry you sold it Andy but at least you got to enjoy a few good drives with it... Please let us know when you start another project
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    . . . Sorry you sold it Andy but at least you got to enjoy a few good drives with it . . .
    '. . .

Chassis Number: 351694
    Engine Number: 6461452 . . .

. . . This bespoke 904/6 GTS recreation has been finished to a staggering degree of detail. The fastidious owner, himself a skilled Porsche enthusiast, went to incredible lengths to ensure the build was as true and accurate to the original cars as possible. Completed over the course of four years from 2009-2013, this left-hand drive 904/6 GTS was a collaboration between the vendor and Martin & Walker, the country's leading Porsche 904 GTS experts. In the words of the experts, this car is: "an exacting reproduction of the legendary Porsche 904/6, considered by many to be the most beautiful car ever built by Porsche... In developing the Technic 904 we set out to reproduce not only the aesthetics of this wonderful car but also the performance and feel, to this end we only build cars to take Porsche engines and use Porsche mechanical components throughout." As a small company making hand-built cars, Martin & Walker only produce a handful a year, each built to individual order and to the customer's exacting specification.

The vendor's specification was to create: "a car that looked like one of the original 4-cam models that had been converted to a 6-cyliner engine," as many were in period. The bodywork is original specification glass fibre with moulds having been taken from an original 904, the chassis is an accurate copy of the original box section pressed steel perimeter chassis. The engine is a 2.5 litre short-stroke twin plug engine, based on a 2.7 911 crankcase with 2.2 crank and 10:5:1 JE pistons producing 220bhp @ 7800rpm. It is equipped with a pair of triple-choke Weber 40IDA's and has a lightened flywheel along the lines of the factory 911R/906 and alloy clutch pressure plate. In addition the gearbox is a close ratio 5-speed 914 transmission with 904 mainshaft and there are two choices of exhaust, either open megaphones or a slightly quieter street exhaust (copied from an original). In essence, there is very little on this car that differs from 1 of the 120 original examples. Even the interior is a work of art with correct switchgear/instrument layout and correct Les Leston wooden steering wheel. Total weight comes to a correct 700 kilograms.

Anyone who either owns an original 904/6 GTS or simply aspires to, is urged to take a closer look at this car. Registered in the UK and dated as a 1966 Porsche, it is both the owner's and our belief that with minor changes, specifically the rear brakes to solid discs and smaller callipers, along with an original-spec 2.0 litre engine, it should be possible to obtain HTP papers allowing the car to be used in historic events. Accompanying the history file is a large number of pictures detailing the build, bills for parts, a current MoT certificate and a copy of a 904 GTS driver's manual. Very rarely does a recreation come up for sale that is indistinguishable from the original car in both looks and mechanical experience. This fantastic 904-6 does just that without the buyer having to spend over 1 million pounds for a real one . . .
    '

Sold = £146k/$226k/€206k

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...-6-recreation-

(Not mine)

Outstanding result!
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Sorry to see it go from your hands... this was a remarkable thread to follow (wish I could have seen the car in real life) and I am envious of the road trip: I know those roads well and never had "the" car to enjoy them with. Now I'm in Quebec, were there don't seem to be any roads in comparison to those in Scotland, but now I have the car... oh well, life is full of compromises - though I was glad to see you didn't compromise one bit on the build of the 904... the new owner is one lucky guy to have your car - let alone the 'real' one! It would be great if he would drive the two and compare; that would be a wonderful article to see in Panorama or Excellence...
    Thanks for the journey and I hope you share your new project here too!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Once again thanks for the positive comments - I'm humbled.

A final picture from the comparison test day at Goodwood:

16050175124_1fb4684f88_c.jpg
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Holy cow. Really impressed.

Bonjour,
    i'm andy from france, i would like to built a 904 like you, i have already the body ( buy in belgium )
    but nowhere i find plan for frame.... Could you tell me where you found this or make copy of yours ??
    Congratulation for your job, i hope to be able to do the same...
    Many thanks for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tility View Post
    Bonjour,
    i'm andy from france, i would like to built a 904 like you, i have already the body ( buy in belgium )
    but nowhere i find plan for frame.... Could you tell me where you found this or make copy of yours ??
    Congratulation for your job, i hope to be able to do the same...
    Many thanks for your reply
    Andy is a DDK member, and i think you discover more information here !
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...it=904+REPLICA
    All the best

JLC
    69 912 BARN FIND......55Kmiles
    79 SC us import

1702 member

I know this is an old thread but kudos! What a brilliant recreation of a 904.

In fact liked it that much, I've just bought the relevant C&SC for a time when maybe funds would allow something similar!