Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: My 904 replica build thread ...

Andy, I think you nailed it with the graphics. Understated, but serious.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

I like what you've done, Andy. It really looks fantastic. Good choice on the megaphones, too. Nothing like a wide open 6 on the highway.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Andy, I can't be expressive or speak eloquently enough to begin to comment...

Fantastic Andy. Very impressive road trip also.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Andy, so what would be the price range, "price of admission" for a similar quality-finish 904 'rolling-chassis'? No engine or gearbox.

A 906/Carrera 6 is roughly $135,000, painted and all, but according to Olivier those wouldn't be at the same quality level as your 904 so this may not be a fair comparison...
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 07-24-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by 914-6gt View Post
    Andy, so what would be the price range, "price of admission" for a similar quality-finish 904 'rolling-chassis'? No engine or gearbox.
    Armando - the current price as far as I know for a painted/trimmed car minus engine/transmission is ~ $75,000 (for export outside Europe) with a similar system of stage payments to the Werkz 906.

However, I would imagine there's probably a significant waiting time before a new build could be started as I think there's maybe 6+ car builds 'in the pipeline' - you would need to speak to Barrie (Martin) to get the latest info.

As I'm sure you're aware, the standard build spec for that price needs to be viewed as a startng point ...

It's taken me 4 years (so far) to get to this stage &, although I've tried to make my car as authentic as possible*, there are still quite a few areas of the car that differ to the originals - I decided that in order to keep my momentum/enthusiasm going, I needed to get it to an acceptable level where it could be used for some (interim) driving fun before/whilst being developed further.

*I wanted my car to look like an original 4-cam 4-cylinder 904 which had been converted to a 6-cylinder engine (as many originals have) & that had been used regularly over the past 40+ years - ie I didn't want it to look like a car that had just been built.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Hello Andy, thank you for all your posts.

That's a really very competitive price-point for a "replica" that looks that good. I’m surprised. Like you, I don't loosely use the word "replica" in my sentences and recognize the skill levels required to achieve those results. Authenticity is always my objective and everything else a compromise. There is a 904 that 'may' be for sale, I plan to visit and will take some photos. Should be interesting to see it in person, I heard it is a bit of a project and don't yet know all that is missing...

Keep up the thread, you have quite an audience. Thanks again!

Hello Andy,
    I am one of the M&W 904 orders in the pipeline, looking forward to get my "dream car".
    Last year I saw our car at Barries workshop. The quality and the detail work of the M&W 904 is really outstanding.

From your thread, I got a lot helpful ideas, thank you for sharing this!!!

My plan is to get my M&W 904 FIA legal for historic racing. I already bought the rear aluminum uprights (repros) and a friend built the rear frame parts exactly like the original ones in sheet metal.

Please continue reporting all upgrades from your great 904. This is a high motivation for my own project.

Best regards
    Stefan

enclosed a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images