Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My 904 replica build thread ...

So, on with the story of the seats ...

Since I'd run out of ideas/people/places in my attempts to source some original fabric, I decided to take a slightly different approach.

Several of the restored 904's that I'd checked out featured seats which had been re-upholstered in a blue fabric that looked as though it might be a little easier to track down, so I started searching again.

One of the excuses that the trimmer had given for adding the (unwanted) stitching was that the material had no 'give' - so the new fabric had to be able to 'stretch' a little.

Eventually I found some fabric which seemed to fit the bill so I sent off for some samples.

The material was sold specifically for upholstering hard-wearing areas (ideal) & was described as being 'water & stain repellant' - again, sounds good ...

... what I hadn't read in the small print was that it was targetted for the seating in residential care homes, etc where the occupants might suffer from incontinence !

Consequently, the fabric had an impervious (latex) backing to prevent moisture penetration.

However the (fabric) samples looked good & it turned out to be very easy to peel the backing off in one piece leaving a material which seemed to meet the requirements.

It wasn't available without the backing (& I couldn't find it anywhere else) so I ordered 3 metres.

The material arrived a few days later & I set about peeling off the latex backing - like with the sample, the backing came off in one sheet but .... left a white latex/glue residue over the entire surface.

I experimented with a small area & found that it could be scraped off (slowly) with my thumbnail without causing any damage, so I laid it out on the floor & set about removing the residue ...

- this was the result after about 4 hours (approx 1.5m x 1m):

The whole job took me ~12 hours !!!

I decided to give the trimmer another chance (he does some very impressive work on a whole range of classic sportscars, racers, custom 'rods' etc & has been in business in the same location for 30+ years) so took the seats & fabric to him.

This time he followed my instructions & the seats turned out 'OK' - I'm still not happy with the fabric & will still keep looking, but these won't look too out of place in the meantime :

Definitely an area to be revisited ...

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Very impressive Andy. What a fascinating saga you have been on. I had no idea the seats just fit into channeled panel in the car. I'm sure you can't wait to break them in with your own seat.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Andy,

You've posted a thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening thread !

Thanks for sharing and I hope that you will soon enjoy the fruits of your labour!

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    Many (most ?) of M&W's previous 904 customers (I don't know the exact number but I think less than 20 have been built in the past 15 years) have opted for 3 litre engines (probably due to relative ease of availablility & cost) but, to my mind, these would give totally the wrong driving characteristics - the car needs a smaller/more highly-tuned engine.

The relatively few 6-cylinder 904's that the Factory built were equipped with the Type 901/20 engine - 2.0 litre twin-plug on 46 IDA Webers producing 210 bhp @ 8000rpm so I wanted something that had similar specs ...

... now it just so happened that I had a twin-plug engine sitting at the back of my garage !

This engine was removed from my 911R-inspired car before I sold it (I already had this project in mind at that stage) & has the following spec:

7R crankcases which have been shuffle-pinned & time-serted
    Custom-made JE 90mm pistons (c/r 10.5:1)
    Rebuilt/modified 40IDA Webers (36 mm venturis) on 'tall' manifolds
    Ported cylinder heads with stainless steel valves and hi-performance springs
    High-lift custom hand-ground cams
    Lightened/balanced 2.2 crank with cross-drilled & grooved centre bearing
    3.0 SC oil pump
    etc

In it's original configuration with crank-fire ignition this 2.5 litre engine produced 220 bhp @ 7800rpm but I have since swapped in a period-looking Marelli-style twin-plug distributor operating through twin MSD boxes (which will be hidden from view) - 2 (dummy) Bosch CDI boxes & twin Bosch black coils will be visible within the engine compartment - so I am hoping for a little more ...

As I mentioned previously, I don't want everything to look 'too new' so I avoided any polishing/replating etc on the engine - opting instead for just a 'clean' look:

Andy, that must be my old motor, right?

Cheers,
    T.C.

JBR7.jpg

Hi TC - yes, it's the motor from your old 914/6 GTR.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy, that looks like Cox Motorsport exhaust. Don't think you will be using that, pointed the wrong way. lol
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

I had another piece of luck a few months ago in tracking down one more item on my 'wanted' list ...

I had been trying for the past 12 months or so to find out what rear reflectors were originally fitted to Factory 904 cars (sad or what ?) - each car that I'd looked at had a diiferent type fitted.

Finally, whilst checking out the 904's at Rennsport Reunion in October, I was able to find 3 cars - one of which was unrestored - all with the same version of rear reflector.

More searching turned up a matching NOS reflector in Germany...

Here's an original :

& here's my NOS (but a bit dirty/scuffed - just what I wanted !) version:

- & with the rubber surround removed:

Just need to find another one now !
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

M&W are able to supply suitable instruments to suit the customer's power train & personal preferences - but, again, I had a few 'ideas'.

Since I have quite a good relationship with the people at North Hollywood Speedo, I asked them if they would make me a set of suitable gauges. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn't want everything to look 'too new' so I asked Hartmut at NHS if they could use some secondhand parts in the gauges - e.g chrome bezels, needles, etc.

Understandably, companies who offer restoration/renovation/refurbishment services are reluctant to supply 'substandard' parts & consequently the gauges looked suitably excellent when they arrived.

Not to be outdone, I visited NHS when I was over in California for RRIV & picked up a selection of old/used chrome bezels ... which, on my return, I swapped for the perfect, new chrome bezels which were on the gauges !

I also took the opportunity to set the odometer to 21,250 km - which I felt was the sort of distance an original 904 might have covered since 1964/'65 ...

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy,

The whole thing is impresive......
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

A lot of time has been spent researching & trying to track down parts - still not managed to find a second original rear reflector !

As mentioned on earlier, I'd already obtained a correct/original Les Leston woodrim steering wheel but now needed to fabricate a suitable hub. I briefly considered modifying an off-the-shelf Moto-Lita hub but quickly ruled it out from an appearance point of view, so I decided to utilise the splined section from an original 911/912/914 wheel.

However, I didn't want to use the splined section from 'any old' wheel since all 914 & 911/912 steering wheels from '69 had part numbers & date codes stamped into them - it therefore had to be a swb (420mm) wheel ...

Luckily the hard plastic (ebonite) 420mm wheels are largely unloved & I was able to find a cheap candidate via DDK (Chris Jury - thanks). Since I only wanted the splined section (& to minimise shipping costs from Germany) I asked Chris just to cut through the spokes & send me the centre section :

After drilling out the rivets & removing the remnants of the spokes & the horn push mount, the splined hub was cleaned up & offered up to the LL wheel to ascertain the relevant dimensions :

The original 904's used a 356A horn push & I had been searching for a suitable used one but they're pretty hard to come by & command fairly high prices so I reluctantly ordered a new repro version from Stoddard's :

So, armed with these components & measurements, I set about producing the relevant drawings for an adapter (to mate the splined section to the wheel) & a trim ring (to mate the 356A horn push to the wheel).

At this point I was contacted by board member Manuael Campuzano who'd been through a similar process in the past when installing a LL wheel in his 356 & he very kindly provided me with drawings/dimensions - thanks again Manuel.

A DDK member who coveniently has a lathe at home offered to machine the necessary parts for me & after a (very) short space of time I received these perfectly-fabricated parts - exactly what I wanted !

- & after assembling:

That's another job ticked off ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105