Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My 904 replica build thread ...

Another part that I had been trying to track down (& to find the original source of) was the twin-jet windscreen washer nozzle fitted to 904's :

- nobody seemed to know which vehicle(s) used this & I have been unable (so far) to find one.

The closest I've found are these similar - but single jet - nozzles from an early VW Bus:

So I ordered a pair & asked 'my' machinist to remove the jet from one of them & drill/insert it into the other ... which produced a suitable alternative until I find an original:

- some silver/chrome paint on the brass jets should complete the effect.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

The nozzle is from a 60's vw Go to e-bay and some of the VW sites in the U.S.. They are the chrome (bright alui covers) ones but you can find the gray ones pretty ezzie. The og ones are plastic not steel! FYI,they don't look anything like what you have posted.

Gumby

Nice build.
    904 Fig 9/5#7, 904.628.741.00
    It's an SWF part.
    904Fig9-05#07WasherNozzle.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...hp?id=955488vw swf washer jets!.........maybe.....Cliff

Kevin/Jimmy/Cliff - thanks for the info.

One of the problems I've encountered is the fact that many of the minor parts (such as the washer jets, rear reflectors, etc) on original 904's I've checked out have obviously been changed over the years & it's difficult to know (especially without access to a parts manual) what exactly was originally fitted. I've seen at least 6 different types of washer jet fitted & probably the same number (or more) of different rear reflectors on original cars.

My approach has therefore been to source/use parts which I have seen fitted to at least 3 original cars - hence the washer jets I'm currently using (I also have 2 alternative SWF types which I've seen used).
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

What a great project. I love the M&W 904s, it's one of the only replicas that I would be proud to own. Congrats on a excellent build, looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing.
    Rob Abbott

Andy,

Fantastic project.

What did the rivetted Witham wheels end up weighing? I assume they use an Aluminium outer rim.

I have set of welded up 15x6 steelies (with a steel outer rim) and they are significantly heavier than 6" Fuchs.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    Andy, that looks like Cox Motorsport exhaust. Don't think you will be using that, pointed the wrong way. lol
    Just to clarify, that photo & that exhaust is not mine - the picture was taken when the (freshly-built) engine was on the dyno (in Florida).
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    Andy,

Fantastic project.

What did the rivetted Witham wheels end up weighing? I assume they use an Aluminium outer rim.

I have set of welded up 15x6 steelies (with a steel outer rim) and they are significantly heavier than 6" Fuchs.
    Ryan - I only have approximate comparison weights obtained using my bathroom scales but the savings over all-steel wheels are significant:

Std (Factory) 5.5 x 15 KpZ wheel = 8Kg

Std (Factory) 6 x 15 KpZ steel wheel = 8.5Kg

Widened (std KpZ centre in new 7" rim) 7 x 15 steel wheel = 9Kg

5.5 or 6 x 15 steel/alloy wheel (using steel KpZ centre) = 5Kg
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Another area of the car that I wanted to make changes to in order to bring it closer to the originals was that of the headlamps.

Obviously from an availability point of view (& to keep costs/time down to realistic levels) Barrie supplies/fits an 'off the shelf' headlamp assembly:

However, on an original 904, the headlamps fit slightly further forward & incorporate a (visible) chrome trim ring:

I hit upon the idea of using a set of US-spec 911 headlamp housings & had several pairs available from cars I'd imported so decided to offer some up to see if they could be used.

With very little modification it seemed as though they would do the trick, so I chose my best set & cleaned them in readiness:

- & trial-fitted them with some suitable Carello headlight units:

After studying numerous original 904's it seemed as though the headlight of choice 'back in the day' was the Marchal Equilux as used on most high performance cars of the '50's/'60's/'70's.

There is a minefield of different varieties of Equilux used by different manufacturers/models but I eventually managed to narrow it down to 4 possible versions which were period-correct for the mid-60's & have been searching for a suitable pair for a number of months - unfortunately, due to their association with Ferraris of the era, prices aren't what you could term 'bargain basement' !

There is always a selection of Equilux headlamps on ebay (especially, as you'd expect, in France) but they're virtually all incorrect size/model &/or fitment.

I know where I can buy some new ones but I do enjoy the chase (!) & would prefer to use good/secondhand if possible.

Unexpectedly I found a suitable single unit* a few weeks ago at a local autojumble (swapmeet) for £5 ...

Here's an original (unrestored) 904 fitted with a Marchal Equilux headlamp:

- & here's my £5 buy before cleaning:

It looks as though the Marchal 'shield' in my bargain find is higher up on the lens but it's down to the angle - it's the same headlight.

* I subsequently found another excellent pair of Marchal Equilux headlamps at the recent Beaulieu Autojumble so that's another step forward !
    Last edited by andyjboy; 05-30-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105