Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Hazard/Emergency Switch Wiring Question

1969 Hazard/Emergency Switch Wiring Question

Hey all,

I recently purchased the correct (1969 MY only) hazard switch for my 911. -At some point in my cars' life, a previous owner replaced the original rubber-knobbed, 6-pin, pull switch with a later red plastic, 7-pin, push-button model. After removing the incorrect 7-pin switch and looking at the harness wires, one major thing became immediately apparent... the 6-pin switch has pins for 6 of the 7 wires (obviously), but not the brown ground wire. The 6-pin switch has pins for 15, 30, 49, 49a, L and R, but not pin 31 (which is the ground pin):

Name:  e-switch.2.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  71.3 KB

Looking at the factory wiring schematic, the ground (31) seems to be connected to the bulb ground (or possibly the body of the switch itself) in some manner, as if maybe the bulb has its own little housing with a ground pin on it. Since the PO removed the bulb part of the harness, I don't have the bulb-connector... and thus can't verify if the bulb housing itself has the other pin (31). -So I'm stumped. Here's the wiring schematic:

Name:  e-switch.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  102.5 KB

Does anyone have any insight on how to correctly connect the ground wire?
    Last edited by bxd; 05-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

On mine, it's connected to the center pin, which is a dual female spade shared by the ground that appear to go to the bulb.

To clarify, a brown ground wire comes from a grommet that appears to go to the knob itself. This brown wire meets up at the center of the switch in your picture. There, a dual female with another ground wire attaches to a center pin. This other brown wire goes to ground.
    Last edited by beh911; 05-29-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: clarity
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

lol, while I'm sure you described it perfectly, I'm having a really hard time picturing what you mean... specifically these two statements:

a brown ground wire comes from a grommet that appears to go to the knob itself. This brown wire meets up at the center of the switch in your picture.
    -Which wire are you referring to; is it a separate wire not connected to the harness? Where is this grommet, and where does the wire connect to the knob?

There, a dual female with another ground wire attaches to a center pin
    -I am assuming this dual female connection is the ground on the harness that connects to the under-side of the dash, correct? And, more importantly, which "center pin" are you referring to?
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Sorry, I'm multi-tasking. See this pic. I can try to get an actual photo later. The 'red' pin seems to be missing on yours.

Name:  e-switch.2.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  111.2 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

hmm, yeah, your illustration makes sense, but I'm still not sure where or how that other pin might connect to the switch itself... my switch isn't broken, it's exactly as it came from the factory, so I must be missing some kind of other piece. -A photo of a '69 switch and how it connects to the harness would REALLY help me.

Jordan
    S Registry #1933

I think you are missing a piece.

In the center circle of your switch, there is a round, pressed in metal piece on mine. Off of this pressed-in metal piece, there is the spade, to which the dual female connector to ground is attached. You can just make out the piece in my pic below. Sorry it's not a better pic, but I'm a 'leave well enough alone' sort of guy when it comes to working electricals. Not sure I want to disturb the switch area anymore than necessary.

Hope this helps.

Name:  Snap1.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  92.1 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Yes! This is what I suspected, and it makes sense to me now that I see your photo. Soooo, it appears to be an insert that holds the bulb AND has the 7th spade, or pin, for the ground wires. Thank you SOO much for taking time to explain this to me

Now, the next task is where to find one of these inserts... first stop is EASY to pick through their pile of switches. Does anyone have one of one laying around by chance?
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Uhh, it's a bulb holder just like the gauge bulbs. Try swapping one of your brass gauge bulbs out-- you know the ones on the black/blue harness behind the gauges, that you need to remove anyway so you can put a fuse in the circuit. The insulation wears out as that harness flops against the sheetmetal and back of the gauges, then arcs and burns up. So while you're putting a fuse in that circuit, check one of the bulb holders against the switch.

If it turns out to match (it does on my '66) then you're golden, hit up one of the VW suppliers for the bulb holder. I bought some last week from Wolfsburg West.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 304065; 05-29-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

hey, I didn't think about that. Thanks for the tip; I'll give it a shot

8-)
    Jordan
    S Registry #1933

Well, that explains the spade connector--the bulb holder!

I'm not convinced I fully understand the ground wiring just yet.

I'll try to look at mine a bit closer and trace where everything goes.
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624