Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Solex fuel lines

Original Solex fuel lines

I finally have a set that extend from the Pierburg pumps up over the fan housing to the carbs. I am going to replicate a few sets.
    Before I commit to creating more sets than I need...would there be interest? And before I do...has someone already done this?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Banned
    Brad Davis and I are making them using an NOS line as a model. Proper Cohline Logo on furrules will be an added touch of authenticity.
    They can be purchased through Brad as soon as they're ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Brad Davis and I are making them using an NOS line as a model. Proper Cohline Logo on furrules will be an added touch of authenticity.
    They can be purchased through Brad as soon as they're ready.
    Frank, those will be clearly "fakes"....., and how do we know that they will be safe enough to use?

I like the wording "added touch of authenticity"... I'll have to use that!

Eric
    Last edited by Soterik; 06-01-2012 at 08:07 AM.

...and so it goes.

But the 7R's are real!!!
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Banned
    In my opinion there is a litmus test for "aftermarket parts:

Is there a readily available supply? (In this case, a resounding "NO" unless someone knows something I don't know.)
    Is the aftermarket part quality, in terms of esthetics and strutural integrity, equal to or greater than the original?

When someone can prove that these Solex lines won't meet or exceed either of these tests than I will cease to make them. I have NOS and I will have authentic reproductions. In terms of bragging rights I'll chose the NOS. As far as intrinsic, structural quality, I choose the repro. (Who in their right mind would choose a cast wheel over a forged wheel if they were concerned with safety and strength? You guys are barking up the wrong tree.)

The absolute Poster Child for a quality reproduction has to be SSI heat exchangers. Perfect example of how it should be done. Build it better than Porsche ever did!

BTW Eric: For anyone who has doubts as to whether they're "safe enough to use", I will once again offer a donor part for testing purposes. (I'm not sure how that even comes into play with a whopping 3-5 psi pressure in the line. lol)
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 06-01-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Frank, as someone who also makes reproduction parts I get the issues around producing a repro part. I am not commenting on your part, I have no knowledge of your product.

It is more an observation on your comments on the 7R's. Each person will make their own decision on price/value, cast/forged, performance/cool factor - so be it. They have been informed.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    It is more an observation on your comments on the 7R's. Each person will make their own decision on price/value, cast/forged, performance/cool factor - so be it. They have been informed.
    Excellent! If it weren't for this discussion prospective buyers may not have been informed!

Hey! Can I have my thread back ?

Jeesh
    You guys are like catfish...give you a little line, and you run the reel dry!
    So Frank...get some of those things made! The board will decide what it decides when it decides.
    It would help to know what to expect (roughly) in terms of price...so I know whether in the interim to fab up some of my own.
    Next on the list...although with you guys loitering, I'm a bit hesitant is the crossbar. I again have a good one, but need at least one more. I don't think anyone is reproducing them....? So I may need to make a couple?

Ok...open up the floodgates, I asked for it.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    Jeesh
    Speedo
    Catfish is a compliment. At least we're not carp or sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    Jeesh
    So Frank...get some of those things made! The board will decide what it decides when it decides.
    It would help to know what to expect (roughly) in terms of price...so I know whether in the interim to fab up some of my own.
    Next on the list...although with you guys loitering, I'm a bit hesitant is the crossbar. I again have a good one, but need at least one more. I don't think anyone is reproducing them....? So I may need to make a couple?

Ok...open up the floodgates, I asked for it.

Speedo
    I know of two 901's under restoration that may need both lines and crossbars, and I personally need lines and crossbars. I'll check on the two 901's and get back to you.

Eric