Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Solex fuel lines

I have an original set up for $225 if someone needs it DAhearn67@gmail.com Thanks.

Don

Banned
    Like a well oiled machine; this is how this community is supposed to work. Now we even have a price point to work from!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Like a well oiled machine; this is how this community is supposed to work. Now we even have a price point to work from!
    If $225 is the high price point of the range, than $40 might be the low. That is what I paid recently (w/i the last month) to a list member (his suggestion, and knows his stuff). BTW Auto Atlanta had a few for $75 earlier this year but sold out after a thread was posted on this list.

Richard

I and some fellow restorers bought four NOS fan shroud lines for around $200 a piece. The hoses were rotten. They all have to be plated and new hoses crimped on. I'm reproducing the rear line to complete the five sets we need.

I don't think that there are any $40 & $75 deals out there any more. Around $200 may be the only price unless you get lucky.

Ive seen a lot of Solex carb sets sold in the last few years and we have all seen what has happened to the prices. I think there are a lot of people out there with a pair of carbs and no fuel lines, cross bars, linkages, air cleaners and twin fuel pumps.

By the way, see my other posts. I have ten sets of Solex linkages at the plater right now. Half are spoken for. I'm working on the cross bar. I have cad drawings, vendors that quoted the pieces, and a jig for welding. I'm just not sure the market will pay for a $350 cross bar. Yet again, I bought the last one at EASY 2-3 years ago for $200.
    Last edited by rcnagel; 06-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.

These linkages will be coming back next week in clear cad. Below is the CAD for water jetting solex cross bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

So have we produced any of the fuel lines? I now have a local resource who has made some sets of the crossbars for me...and unless someone has gone into production on the fuel lines, I am going to have him make me a couple sets.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

We have made all the gaskets for Solexes in a good quality Klinger Material and have O Rings and new Ethanol Resistant Diaphragams as well as the trumpet shaped Pump Spring. The pump rods and levers are being made now.

We have all of the turnbuckle linkages and have just obtained ball joints of the correct type with the original style of spanner flats.

We are roll grooving the tubes for the crossbars in the next few days.

I think I have also located a small supply of the dampers that were fitted to the early carbs.

We are also making throttle shafts in 8 and 8.5mm dia and I have just ordered tooling to spin rivet the end plate onto the shafts. We will also make Weber, Zenith and MFI shafts and throttle plates to suit all of the above shafts with the correct angles for the individual carbs/throttle bodies. The jigs we have will allow the production of differnet diameters of plate.

Cohline still make the crimping machine to fit the ends to the flexible lines with the correct detail but none of the ferrules they currently supply have the traditional logo. Our local Cohline distributer will crimp lines for a very reasonable price. I would like to buy one of these crimper's but the manual version is abound $1200 and we just don't make enough lines to pay this price.

I would think that any Automotive Shop's Public Liability Insurance would cover the production and supply of a simple fuel line.

Our Insurance certainly covers us for the manufacture and installation of this type of part and for making brake lines.

We have extra cover for some of the other parts we make but as my colleague and I are both professional engineers this wasn't too difficult.

Speedo

I've made six of the rear lines for my sets and some sets of friends of mine. I'm not planning to go into any expanded production on this item. Contact me if you need help.

How about floats? Anyone?

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Not to split hairs, but has anyone located a crimper that will put 8 flats on the crimp vs 6 flats on the current Cohline?