Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1060 mile 73 E

I will say that CPR does some of, if not the most authentic and correct early 911 restorations in the world. They simply know all the details of these cars.

I'm surprised so much of the MFI intake system is missing...maybe it comes in a box with the car...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It looks like SSI heat exchangers. They don't have the extra connection for the hose to the flapper housing, so usually they just got yanked off. I remember talking to SSI about this and they said that Porsche later issued a technical note that the flapper pre-heat thing wasn't needed, so they didn't include it.

Begs the question...why would one put SSI's on a 1,000 mile car?...to each his own, I guess...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

It's not a 1,000 mile car. It's 1,000 miles post-restoration. If memory serves, CPR said it had a "period correct" (i.e., not original motor) engine. It sold last year; then returned to CPR, then sold again. Not necessarily an issue, but maybe raises some questions....?

Who said it was a 1k mile car ????
    Just because the odo says 1k doesnt mean it is...
    Have never seen CPR represent this car as an original 1k mile from new car...just an expensive restoration by them
    Amazing that someone posts it ...thus it is the truth ??!!

billh

My first cut was to read it literally. Now I learn of the charade...good thing I'm not a buyer...I would be annoyed.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    My first cut was to read it literally. Now I learn of the charade...good thing I'm not a buyer...I would be annoyed.
    Peter....2 post in one day, 6 hrs apart ? About the same car ? It's alright...we'll get through this :-)

Cheers
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

^^^^^ Too true. Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

FS: @BaT - 1973 2.4L 911E Targa

This should be considered a historical car with all the ESR posts that date back 2007. Most recently sold for $135k at 2018 Gooding Monterey Auction.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post982423
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post624424
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post358545
    ----------------------------------
    Bring-a-Trailer Website Auction
    1973 Porsche 2.4L 911E Targa, Lot #21694
    VIN: 9113210526
    Engine: 6235579 (factory replacement - original 6231063)
    Trans: 336029
    Color: Signal Yellow/Black
    Mileage: 01,271 (indicated)
    Auction Estimate: -
    Sold for: NO SALE (Highest bid: US$106,000 on 8/7/19)

73E 1.jpg

73E 2.jpg

73E 4.jpg

73E 5.jpg

73E 6.jpg

73E 7.jpg

73E 8.jpg

73E CoA.jpg

73E Window Sticker.jpg

BaT Description:

This 1973 Porsche 911E Targa is one of just 1,055 examples built for the model year, which marked the end of longhood 911 production. The car is finished in Signal Yellow and was sold new to a Southern California resident, who is reported to have kept it until 1999. A $134k rotisserie restoration was performed by California Porsche Restoration from 2009-2011, including disassembly, a bare-metal repaint, rebuilds of the 2.4L injected flat-six and five-speed transaxle, refreshing the suspension and brakes, reupholstering the interior, and much more as outlined below. Equipment includes 15″ Fuchs wheels, front fog lights, sport seats with houndstooth inserts, chrome rocker trim, and a rear valance. The brake fluid and engine oil were changed in 2017, and a new fuel pump was installed in July 2019. This 911E was acquired by the seller last year and has been driven just 1,300 miles since the restoration was completed. It is now offered with a window sticker, restoration records, a Porsche Certificate of Authenticity, tool kit and jack, and a clean Illinois title in the seller’s name.

Restoration work in 2009 included stripping the disassembled body shell to bare metal, aligning the panels, and repairing any areas of damage. Following the metalwork, the body was conditioned, sanded, and primed with one coat of self-etching primer, as well as three coats of polyester filler primer. It was then guide-coated, blocked in three stages, masked, and resealed prior to being painted in a single stage of the factory Signal Yellow (52). Exterior components were also re-chromed, plated, anodized, and powder coated. Other work included restoring the targa bar and bumperettes, as well as fitting new seals and brightwork. The car is equipped with 15″ Fuchs wheels, a 911S-style front spoiler, a rear valance, grille-mounted front fog lights, and chrome lower rocker trim. 2014 maintenance included repairing wiring for the front and left marker lights and turn signals, as well as adjusting the suspension height and performing an alignment.

New upholstery was sourced for the interior during the restoration, including houndstooth inserts for the sport seats. The dashboard assembly, window cranks, rearview mirror, front and rear door pockets, shift lever, carpets, and door caps were all either replaced or refreshed. VDO instrumentation includes a 150-mph speedometer and a central tachometer with a 6,800-rpm redline. The odometer was reset during the restoration and now shows approximately 1,300 miles, fewer than 100 of which have been added by the seller.

The 2.4-liter flat-six is a replacement unit that was reportedly installed in late 1973 by a dealer. Restoration work included overhauling the mechanical fuel injection, porting the cylinder heads, balancing the pistons, magnafluxing and micropolishing the crankshaft, and rebuilding the distributor. New Mahle pistons and cylinders were also installed along with all new valves, Supertec head studs and valve springs, new timing chains and ramps, a new alternator, and much more. A February 2014 service conducted by Westmont Porsche in Illinois consisted of replacing the spark plugs, battery, vent lines, and transmission fluid, as well as adjusting the belts. The 915 five-speed manual transaxle is also a replacement unit and was rebuilt during the restoration with fresh gaskets, seals, synchronizer rings, main and intermediate shaft bearings, and shift forks. Other work consisted of bead-blasting the case and installing a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. The fuel tank and heat exchangers were also refurbished and both axles were rebuilt.

Suspension components were removed prior to being powder coated in satin black, while the ball joints, rod ends, bushings, and shocks were replaced. The braking system received a new master cylinder, pads, rotors, caliper seals, hard and soft lines, and emergency brake hardware. More than 100 photos of the 2009-2011 restoration are included, as are receipts and records from California Porsche Restoration of Fallbrook, California. The window sticker shows an importer’s suggested retail price of $10,765.50 in 1973, including options. A Porsche Certificate of Authenticity will also accompany the sale and displays the factory colors and equipment. Replacement engine number is (*6235579*) and transaxle (7338695) stampings.
    Last edited by DOUGS73E; 08-07-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added sold for price.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548