Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Unlike Candyce and her lovely Sepia car ...

What a story, your persistence and perseverance are admirable.

As I was reading this thread for the first time today, I was surprised by my name. It made me smile. My life would be very different without the Sepia 911 ... old memories, new memories, and so many dreams all entangled. I still pass out the Panorama and Esses articles to the "ladies only" hoping that someone will say, "Oh, I can do that."

Thanks for the smile,
    Candyce
    Candyce
    '73 911S, #9113301365
    Early S Registry #2027

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . and?

After 2 or 3 friendly emails I asked him about the accidents it had sustained on the front left and right. I also asked how the car came to be sold to Canada. I never heard from him again. Not sure if I inadvertently offended him or there is some dark story there. I'll give it a rest and "call" back when the car is done...

and on that front...

nothing to report. Mr. Gross is AWOL or on a walkabout or in the Ukraine, trying to get his girlfriend's mother out. I imagine I will hear from him when he needs the seats or more money. I am learning patience with this whole restoration thing.

And thanks Candyce. My wife and I pass through Chicago a few time a year to and from her family in Minnesota. Someday we shall meet.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Time for a bump-date? . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Last edited by LongRanger; 02-26-2015 at 09:51 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

. . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    . . . The history of the car is certainly nice to have, regardless of any famous owners. It's also a great thing to try to assemble while you wait for your car to be restored (if that were the case). I have had correspondence with all 7 owners of my car, going all the way back to the original owner's son (original owner had passed away). You learn about the dings and scratches and seat and wheel replacements, the almost ruining at a chop show, the cop who bought it, the kid who crunched a fender, the mice who nested in the cylinder heads causing overheating, the colour changes etc. etc. etc.
    I, for one, value that stuff. I have only a few bills and records, but I have the entire 42 year story.

The clock is now reset to zero. Everything that was wrong has been put right. Every nut, bolt, screw and thread is correct. But I know the story and it started with this man . . .

Attachment 338150

We Can Be Heroes

Not much to share. Robert has not touched the car in 18 months. Wheels have been at Harvey's for at least 9 months. Seems like there are a few people ahead of me in all the queues.

Another post . . .

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    . . . car had been in several accidents (or hit several things in one accident). Hard to tell. Don't know anything about the history before it came to Canada in 1989, other than it was delivered to VoA in Texas. It had already been repainted to black when it was imported, and had another respray a few years later. As much as 5 mm of Bondo in places. Sure looked good, but I knew there was bad stuff lurking underneath.

As for tips, I don't have much to share I'm afraid. Robert Gross is doing the work, but I've spent some time in the shop so he could explain to me what was going on. He showed me what needs to be done to get each piece to fit properly. Got an original fender from a 73 to replace the driver's side one with all it's holes. Saw that none of the replacement Porsche or R-D panels fit until the car was but on the Celette bench and brought back to its original dimensions. I just don't think this is possible to do with only a laser level. The FSM called for a bench as well after all. Of course Robert is pretty fussy. The right rear had been hit (I'm guessing all the damage came from a 360 oversteer incident as the left rear was untouched.) and was 2 mm out of spec. You can barely see the crease/bump, but it's there (see arrow). Robert cut off the entire back 10 inches, replaced the rusty latch panel, hammered out the bump in the right rear box section by putting in a piece of oak of the right cross section) and was welding the back on when I was last there.

Front latch panel was replaced too as you can see in the earlier pictures.

The car is completely true now. Gaps are perfect. The front right was pushed in about 8 mm and the front left about 6 mm. It's all straight. Helps to have the proper frames for all the openings as well as you can see (green in this case). It's hard to get everything square otherwise . . .

Any recent pics?

Love to see these projects --- especially in bits . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Haven't been following my own thread

Let us see what I can provide for updates...

1. Have not talked to or received an email (or a bill) from Robert in 14 months. Did see the car about 8 months ago, but have missed Robert on the last 4 visits. No progress in 2 years at this point for those keeping score.

2. Wheels have been at Harvey's since Sep. 11th, 2014. Waiting to hear on them, but clearly no hurry (see 1 above). I have a spare set with Robert should my car ever touch the ground again.

Ravi

Ravi,

I admire your resolve and patience. I couldn't do it, as much as I love these cars. Waiting that long for something to be done, that much capital in play, sorta hanging out there, no end date in sight...

You are waiting on the best to do their magic, I understand, and the final product will be excellent.

But your post is a sobering reminder to anyone that is thinking of a ground up, to the letter top restoration on one of these cars.

Time, patience, and money, and not necessarily in that order!
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

thank you for sharing . For me when i started my 1966 912 in Sept 2012 i thought 6-8 months seemed like a long time .
    For now I like to think of my restoration as really long ride on which the completion will be great . However the Journey ,friends and educiation of all things Porsche has enriched my life ! All things in there time.

Keep the Faith

Doug
    Doug Lehman
    Member #2825
    1966 912

1978 911SC Targa fun in the sun