Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

Hello Northern Thrux - I am close to you (Guelph), and we haven't met, but I still hate you......just kidding! I was the SECOND caller on that car. Had a lovely long chat with the owner and he told me that you had a 10:00AM appointment, and that he would honour the order of the calls. I figured no one in their right mind would pass at that price (not $28k though???), so I didn't bother to make the trip. When Robert is finished, bring that puppy out to our local SW Ontario early Porsche group.

Have fun!

Mike

Hey Mike,
    Nice to "meet" you. I heard about the long line of people waiting for the car, and the guy was really honest about what he knew about the car. You are right, it was listed for 38k, but I am a lousy ipad typist. As you can see the car will need 35-45k to get to good daily driver status and right many wrongs with it. Robert has 110 hours into it, with the sheet metal just ordered.

It has an interesting and checkered history. Bought in Texas, must have been in several front end accidents because it was imported as a black car, not its original ivory. Guy who imported it to Canada in 1989 flipped it 2 months later to a crook who ran a shop that was selling stolen cars. Police raided it and sold off the contents at auction it looks like. Two police officers bought it, took good care of it (lots of service history during this time), then sold it when they divorced in '94. I found the ex-husband and his wife, she is now an Inspector. Guy who bought it from them was a real race car driver who ran a Porsche (not this car) in the Daytona 24 and Sebring 12 amongst other races. He owned a company for whom the PO was a supplier or contractor. PO bought it in '96 and put 5000 miles on since then. None in the past 2 years....hence the mice.

The car is rougher than the Autotrader Ad would suggest. Those pics were taken a decade ago. But all in all, not too bad. Not a screaming steal, but a good value. It had no compression when Robert tried to fire it up, but the engine is really in very good shape and the rebuild has already started. Hopefully the MFI is good too. Previous service notes indicate rust on some of the cams in it...20 years ago. I imagine if I had just wanted to buy it and make it drivable, 10-15k would suffice, but this car deserves better and I'm going to try give it my best shot. She's a keeper.

I will certainly come to the Porsche group when she is drivable.

cheers
    Ravi

So here's a bit more progress, up to about 2 weeks ago. ps://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F147D529F3FCCDE9&id=F147D529F3FCCDE9%21924&sc =photos

Robert is on a typically German month of holidays for July and the shop is closed or a well deserved break. The more or less got it apart and got some new sheet metal ordered to repair the front end and the rear license plate crossbeam. The car is remarkably rust free. Had it not had the bad repairs on the front, it would have been really good. Oh well, everything is fixable and Restoration Design is only an hour from Robert's shop. Handy that !
    The pictures also show the motor completely disassembled. SOme light scoring on the crank that can be polished out hopefully. Piston rings and cylinders are perfect and it did have the tensioner upgrade. Not the oil fed ones, but the later oil filled ones with protective collars in case of collapse. Trying to be as sympathetic in the restoration as possible.

I do have the interior at home. Drove it my RS4 on a 37C day with the sun beating down on it. Released the aromas from all the mouse pi$$ and stuff. Yuck. WIll be scrubbing it all down, replacing the door card stock, but preserving most of the vinyl, which is in decent shape. In discussions with Tom Butler on carpet to match what was on the back of the rear seats, a black cut pile velour it would appear. Got some rear seat pads on the way (they were missing) and have seats in PA to pick up on a road trip next week. They will need recovering and cleaning up of the mechanisms, but it's all functional and there. Belts look decent.

A member here has found me a proper '73 hard foam/leatherette wheel (NOS). Just need a horn pad for it. Also chased down some rear door pockets that were missing and will have to recover the front ones after I remove the sony speakers that were mounted in their outer surface. Why ? Why would somebody do that ? I guess we all did some dumb things in the '80s.

MFI pump has yet to be tested, but at least one plunger has been replaced in the past, so it has had some service. Alternator had a mouse nest in it and is off for a full reconditioning. The engine has been opened at some point, but all the parts are correct...Thank God ! Will need new tin in a few places. I have a package of stuff including an original dash coming from dC Automotive. The dash that was in the car was perfect, but an early '80s OEM replacement. I will sell that off later. It's one of the ones that fits beautifully. But it wasn't original, so I thought I would correct that.

That's about it for the moment. At home, the garage door rails have been raised and a Direct Lift Pro Park 8 has been installed. So the nursery is ready ! Just needs a coat of paint perhaps.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Just amazing, I'm glad I found this thread. I was the fifth caller on this car but I wasn't lined up outside at noon Saturday. The vendor was a straight shooter, it was a real joy talking to him.

I'm amazed to see the progress on this car it is going to be awesome.

Keep the updates coming.
    Mark

1973 911T Targa 3.2 hot rod - Sold
    1992 964 C2 - Sold
    1988 VW Single Cab Truck - For Sale
    1985 VW Double Cab Truck

Jeez --- it's been a while . . . 11 months already?

Any updates or photos to share?

We Can Be Heroes

Twelve . . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Thirteen . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Bump-date . . .

We Can Be Heroes

. . . . . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Updates are coming. Been a bit busy, but bits of progress are scattered throughout this forum. I want to get those links all in one place in this thread. engine ran on the dyno a few weeks ago. Body reassembly starts in a few weeks with end of summer targeted for driving her home.
    Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK