Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I bought this 911T today..not quite a barn find

I bought this 911T today..not quite a barn find

[U][B]READ TO THE END AND TELL ME YOUR OPINION OF WHAT IT'S WORTH:[/[/U]B]

I, just by chance, stumbled across this 1970 911T a couple weeks ago. Today, my offer was accepted, and I closed the deal. Very exciting.

Here is what I know about the car:
    - 1970 911T
    - Hasn't been driven in 4 years....just been sitting.
    - California car... blue plates still on it... and based on the underside, I 100% believe it as a California car...(need to start some research)
    - White..looks like one repaint, not a good job, and peeling in some places. But the original color is white.
    - Body is very straight. Rear valance is dented, but overall the body is really good...a little rust (very minor...surface) at the bottom front of the headlights.
    - I had it up on the lift to inspect the underside, and the underside is truly "rust -free" and the panels are all original. Amazing. My local Porsche mechanic said this is about as good as your going to find on an unrestored car of this year. Even the battery areas are good and original.
    - It looks like 'factory' air-conditioning...maybe an expert out there can tell me... but the underdash vents look different than the dealer installed units I've seen.
    - The chrome fuchs are ugly.
    - One seat has a whole.
    - Needs a gas tank
    - Needs carbs rebuilt
    - Needs batteries
    - Needs tires.
    - Headliner is torn
    - Needs full service (obviously)
    - Might need fuel pump
    - Might need a lot more...but we'll see.
    - Previous owner said it needs synchros.... need to get it running first to find out exactly.

So... now, I hope to get it running in the next couple of weeks, and find out what else it might need. I also need to start my research.
    Here are some pics I snapped with my camera phone. I hope to get some more pics later this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by davewadd; 07-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Looks good. You can take it to what ever level you want and have fun!
    72S, 72T now ST

True. My plan is to just get it running, and enjoy it. It seems very original, and I want to just get it running and make it my Starbucks and Cars & Coffee car.
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Looks like a fun project/driver. Are those 14"? My 70T with S trim came with 14s. Just trying to establish a pattern.
    The only thing that I did was plug the vacum lines on the Zeniths and it ran great...also after 4 years sitting.
    H

Looks like a beauty ...some cleaning and tlc... And will great shower..Congrats

Lemon

Nice find, another one saved. By the way, that's probably KOOL-AIRE, definitely not Behr.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks everyone. When I get more pictures, I'll thrown them up to try an answer questions about AC etc...
    Yes Harvey, the wheels are 14"...but they are chrome. I really don't like the chrome, and they are fairly pitted. I have some rought 15" wheels in my garage that I might put on...I also have some cookie-cutters that would look better than the chromes.
    The car is sitting with my mechanic right now...he'll do a better job getting the car running than I would. We're starting with looking for a new gas tank...so if anyone knows of one, let me know.... I threw up a WTB post on pelican too.
    Last edited by davewadd; 06-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Nice find, another one saved. By the way, that's probably KOOL-AIRE, definitely not Behr.
    Yep, it looks like kool aire to me too. The under dash switches are the give away. Nice find
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Is KOOL-AIRE supposed to be a good system? I doubt I'll bother to make it operable, but I'll probably keep all the vents in place, and hang on to the compressor, just to keep it with the car.

1973 Austin Mini
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

Seems to be a few of these barn and shed finds lately, including mine. Your looks great. Ironically more rust on the body, but likely less underneath ?