Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '61 23-window . . .

I will be picking up my first VW bus next week. It is a 1974 that was bought new by my wife's grandfather and has been at his farm ever since, still has it's original paint, original engine and (very deteriorated) original interior. The grandfather passed away a few years ago and my father in law has decided to sell the bus....and I decided I should buy it.

It needs quite a bit of work, but expect it to be great fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Henry

Another 23 . . .

. . . on The Samba . . .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1317261

. . . 1963 Volkswagen 23 Window Deluxe Walk Thru - Price $80,000

Here's a late 1963 23 window deluxe ( titled as a 1964 - VIN 1080421) that I've owned for over 20 years. This is an older restoration, not over restoration, completed about 10 years ago and built as a driver, not a show car. It's nice enough to enter in a show but more fun to drive than to wipe down with baby diapers.
    Approx. 3000 miles have been put on it since completed.

The bus came with multiple factory accessories. M Codes include locking steering column, ambulance fans, and short walk thru middle seat.
    Other items that come with the bus include original Westfalia Roof rack with factory tags and clamps, aluminum side step with closed ends, original VW safari windows ( pulled these out of a bus in Guatemala myself), original VW safari wiper shafts, genuine bus trip speedometer, vintage Cibie Bobi H4 headlights, non dished Empi GT steering wheel, original Econo license plate frame, Gene Berg shifter, 12v clock, and vintage gilmer belt drive pulleys.

This bus is an original 23 window, not pieced together from different busses . It had very little rust when purchased and has never been in any severe wrecks. The only panels replaced were the battery tray and cargo door rocker. Any pin holes were welded up, or cut out and patched.
    All the body work was done by a professional with years of split bus experience.

Paint is 2 stage Spies Heckler in factory beige gray over sealing wax red. The paint quality is excellent but over the years it has suffered some minor scratches, chips and nicks. Both bumpers have seen some scratches and dings from being lowered but nothing distracting. The worst issue is a length of chipped paint along the drip rails where I slid the roof rack back without taking the clamps off. Yea...I know....

It has been lowered with a 2 inch narrowed Wagons West front beam and early Type 3 components on the rear. It has KYB shocks on all four corners and Flat Four reproduction Sprint stars.
    Nothing permanent has been done to the body or suspension, so bringing it back up to stock height should be straighforward.

The interior is a West Coast Classic kit with a Stayfast canvas top. The materials are first class but I'm not happy with the way the way the sunroof came out due to my skill level. It doesn't leak and looks / works okay but it's not perfect.

The engine is a stock 1600 dual port with dual 40mm Dellortos, 010 distributor, straight cut cam gears, dog house oil cooler, alternator, and a vintage gilmer belt set up with a modern belt tensioner.

This bus runs and drives and everything works as it should except the gas gauge which quit this winter while in storage. :-(

I just noticed I didn't get a photo of the front splash pan installed. It's there and included with the bus.

This bus looks as good in person as it does in the photos. It's located in Dallas, approx 4 hours from the port city of Houston.

There are lots of images here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikem_p...7630031818565/

I'm sorry but I'm not interested in any trades, partial trades or layaway.

Jeff Keller
    jk1966@aol.com
    214 497 9366 Central Standard time . . .

(Veritable cornucopia)

(Not etc)

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    That's my best friend's Delux. He's owned it for 22 years and we've made many trips from Houston to LA for the VW Classic. I assisted with the resto and can attest that it's one of the driest and most optioned busses we've had. And between the two of us we've had a lot. For this bus we went through fanatical detail. Used the right VW stamped fasteners, the correct trim pieces, and even the hidden door mechanisms.

Here is one of my favorites. It's a '55 Delux that was unrestored and bought from the original owner. It was originally bought in Germany and toured Europe before being brought to the US. The owners then toured South American in the early sixties and their kids took it on a tour of the music festival circuit in '68 and wrote stories about their travels that were published in the Austin American Statesman (newspaper). These pics are from the Jerome Jamboree. I was the last bus in a caravan of them four miles long.

13.jpg

6.jpg

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    Yup, it's nuts.

I have a friend here who has restored a couple of 23 window busses, and then started collecting and restoring barndoors - he's done 2 so far, with sliding sunroof kombis. Amazing. And he's got a 23 windown barndoor that may be the restoration of a lifetime waiting in the wings.

Here's one of his previous 23 window restorations that he sold, and the new owner now has it for sale:
    http://www.oldbug.com/ridley.htm
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Raw . . .

. . . 23-window

Ready for restoration

. . . or not

(As seen/smelled/exposed to at 2012, 14th Annual Treffen, Ventura)

We Can Be Heroes

'67 21-window . . .

. . . . on The Samba . . . for, like, 10 seconds . . .

. . . selling this for the original owners widow.

138k original miles.

Original paint in very good condition with few minor flaws. Will buff out, paint not dead. Unfortunately could not even wash the bus in it's current location.

Platinum interior was replaced with TMI duplicate materials about 7 years ago. Virtually no miles since then. No modifications from original.

No rust at all.

Starts, runs and drives perfectly.

Original license plates and frames. Local Bay Area car. Always garaged . . .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1376447

(Not mine)

Now be still . . . . My Cold + Black + Remorseless Heart . . .

We Can Be Heroes

What was the asking price, do you know?
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
    . . . asking price, do you know? . . .
    Honestly, Henry? --- I don't

But the ad is still 'live' and still has/had a ph# attached . . . you might give a call

And who knows? --- sales fall through, sometimes

One of the reasons that I post this stuff is that these ads come + go so fast

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks, I'm more curious than have a real interest in buying. So calling is not really an option if there is no real interest
    Henry

I didn't see the ad price Henry, but rust-free 21 Deluxes with OG paint and pattern repop interior pieces are easily $40K + nowadays.

As we've seen from recent auction results, high zoot restored examples are twice that and more.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT