1972 Porsche 2.4 911S Targa Vin# 9112310755, Engine# 6322000. Only 989 Porsche 911S Targas were produced in 1972. This is an engine/chassis matching numbers car.

Car History:
I've owned this car for the past 27 years and I am the second owner (I have a copy of the original pink slip to verify this). This car has spent its life in Southern California. I have not regularly driven the car since 2006 and it's been sitting for most of that time. I recently pulled it out of storage for this sale. Below I've tried to detail the work that has been done over the years that I've owned it, but although I've tried to keep all records of my car unfortunately over the years I've misplaced some of these receipts.

Paint/Body/Interior:
In 2003 the car was painted in the original light yellow color (paint code 117 using PPG paint). The paint job is adequate and still has plenty of life left. Note: The color in the photos shows darker than the actual color of the car (it's the lighting). It is a light yellow color. From a distance it's hard to see any obvious problems with it, but when you get up close you'll see overspray areas under the pan sides and in the trunk area, clear coat paint drip on the lower back bumper and the underside of the decklid was not sprayed with the same detail. In 1987 some minor rear fender work was done to the drivers side where a moped bumped into it. The dash is original (complete with the speaker grill). The car came with factory Recaro Sport Seats that were originally covered in thick vinyl. The rear jump seats, rear panel, door panels, door pockets and visors are all original and all are in good shape considering they're over 40 years old. Note: I removed the front and rear rubber seals that sit between the bumpers and body for the photos. It has the original 6 inch Fuchs wheels including the spare. In 1995 I removed the fuel tank and had it boiled out, relined and sprayed. I also reskinned the targa top and installed a felt liner. The floor pan, battery boxes, trunk floor and underside of fenders are all clean for a 40 year old car. This car is as rust free and clean under the chassis as one can expect from a 40 year old California car.

Engine/Trans/Misc:
In 1989 I had a top end engine rebuild (full valve job, balanced connecting rods, replaced rod bearings, new piston rings and hone Mahle piston barrels, resealed engine, installed 930 chain tensioners with anti-collapse collars and sent the MFI pump in for a rebuild. In 1995 I removed and boxed up the mechanical fuel injection system (complete and comes with car) and installed Italian Weber 40ida carburetors, K&N air filters, MSD 6AL ignition box and a Pertronix Igniter II, the heat exchangers were removed and replaced with headers from Performance Products along with a OEM exhaust. 1999 I replaced the CV joints, boots and front ball joints. In 2003 I replaced the clutch, throw out bearing and resurfaced the flywheel with a factory Sachs pkg and I replaced the rear shocks with factory Boge type. In 2005 I had the Weber Carburetors rebuilt. The transmission has not been rebuilt and still shifts well. In 2003 I replaced the shifting coupler and the nylon sleeves on the shift rod to clean up the shift slop. Electrical wiring is original and I've discovered a couple of electrical gremlins (Tach stopped working, one brake light out, one weak turn signal, no lic plate light, no trunk light). I've not changed the original oil lines and noticed a couple that need to be replaced. The engine runs strong and burns clean. Please check out the YouTube video of the motor running at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVA6IAKFTk

General Info:
I've tried to keep the car in as original condition as I could without adding anything that didn't need to be there. I'm of the belief that a car is only original once and anything removed should have a functional purpose. The 1972 is somewhat unique in that it's the first early 911 to carry the 2.4 liter engine (the 911S is rated at 190hp) and it came with a 915 transmission which is stronger than the 901. It's also the only early 911 that has the oil door on the right rear fender which has better weight distribution and the 911S has a separate front oil cooler. This car has never been attempted to be restored and the only work that has been done is what is listed. Therefore, depending on what your expectations are only you can decide if this car is for you. In my opinion this car is currently not in need of a full restoration because the paint is acceptable, the body is dry, interior is clean, the engine is strong and the trans shifts fine, but it will require a little attention before using it as a daily driver. Please review all photos and feel free to ask any questions. Email me at legalsolutions@mail.com Note: If you have trouble viewing the photos below please click on this link or cut and paste this link in your address bar: Flickr: legalsolutions2013's Photostream

Price/Terms:
The price is $76,500.00. Given its condition, the current market and extreme limited availability of these rare cars it's a fair price, but feel free to submit any serious offers. Please check the market for availability and prices of a comparable 1972 Porsche 911S Targa. These cars are only becoming harder to find and as a result the prices will continue to rise. My car is being sold in “as is” condition. This car has been advertised on several websites so I reserve the right to end this auction early. Thank you for viewing my ad.