Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a need for zinc plated hardware?

Is there a need for zinc plated hardware?

I've got about 5 cars worth of hardware that is in the process of being cleaned, hand-picked, tumblered, cleaned, bead blasted, cleaned and zinc plated, both yellow and silver. At some point I'd like to measure each bolt length and thread pitch and label.

Only best quality, lowest surface rust hardware is being used, the rest is tossed. The process is long and expensive. Every bolt is hand wired and baked, the plater I use won't barrel plate because he says it chews up the threads.

Process is long, slow (only have a small rifle shell tumbler) and very expensive (I can detail if needed). I'll got enough for what I need for my own car, and local friends, but could keep going if there's a need and people are OK with $1 to $10 per basic bolt, specialty bolts like spring plate hardware additional.

One thing I really like about this hardware is the quality of the steel. It was just a hunch, but I was talking to the plater about the quality of this late 60s to early 80s German steel in these and the very positive enthusiast response: yes, it's significantly better than today's hardware, was enough to convince me to at least save all of this stuff even if I don't get it all plated now.

I have mostly basic bolts, nuts, washers and some specialty stuff. I could, potentially have other peoples parts plated, but they would have to arrive in perfect, clean condition.

After soaking for a week in gasoline, diesel and purple cleaner

Sorting

Batch I plated a while ago. You can see the wire mark on the threads

Tumbler

What got me to get this process going

1920s moveable type cabinet drawers make good sorters, though the plastic bins above are ultimately better
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Some of the hardware isn't available from Porsche any more and some of it that is comes silver and not cad. So, I'd say this is a good idea. Shaun, I'm looking for (5) 5x12 screws that hold the fuel sender to the gas tank. They are regular screw driver straight slot heads. Also, (16) of the screws that hold the quarter windows on the car. These aren't cad they are silver. Part #900.186.035.02 M5X8 cheese-head screw. Thanks, -Scott
    72S, 72T now ST

Just FYI Scott, Metric Multi Standard has the cheese head allen bolts for the quarter window,,,,BUT,,, they are 3mm allen, not the correct 4mm. For some applications it doesn't matter, but I suspect it does to you!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

No question I would use some in time after I get my car back and continue with the assembly.

Can you explain what you are achieving by the use of the tumbler? I would be interested in purchasing some hardware.

There is clearly a need for plating and your looks very good. As with everything the results are in the pre-processes. Tumbling is a good idea and one I have thought about making for us. We bead/vapour blast most items. A friend tumbles his items with Cubic Zirconia (fake diamond) with great results. We get plating done virtually every week, including chromate, chrome, anodise etc and can see from yours you have taken great care with the items and as you mention it does take time. We also try to string most items but some are barrel rolled and the larger items doen on racks. Seeing detail like this is right up my street. Thanks for posting.

Nice Rack Alan ! Is that something that your plater provided or something that you came up with? I have a 70 911 that I am bringing back to a nice driver and would like to replate the engine hardware. For many years I had been calling the yellow engine hardware "cadmium plated". I have recently been told that this hardware was not cadmium plated but actually zinc plated in 1970 - what is your understanding? When you use the tumbler are you doing that to improve the finish ( smoothness) of the hardware or condition the surface for a " less glossy look" ? Speaking with Gumby1953 he brought up the very good point that a single car would never have been assembled with a complete car set of hardware with the same apperance ( same yellow color) so it is very correct to have different shades of yellow thru-out the car. How consistent does your plater reproduce the coloration on your hardware - is there a certain randomness to the final color even from the same vendor from batch to batch?

Great stuff Alan! really beautiful plating. I'm going to go ahead with everything, have had a lot of requests, and will keep the tumbler running.

My dream would be to have enough time to catalog every bolt and cross-reference it to use, location, torque against the various cars and years they go into. Might have time in 20-30 years for such an endeavor.
    Tru6 Restoration & Design
    69S Targa, Velvet Green
    73T Coupe, Gemini Blue
    Early S Registry #1462

Hi,

Being as sad as I am I can tell what most of the nuts and bolts are. We also have trays and trays of stuff which is pretty well catalogued. The racks we use we had made for us. They need replacing every now and then so we made quite a few. The use of the tumbler as Shaun shows is to clean the items and create an even surface for the zinc to adhere. I would agree there may be different shades but it would be minimal, hardly noticeable. Our is pretty consistent, what makes the difference is the condition of the original metal, ie pitted, surface corroded etc the take can be dull and blotchy. This is why I said Shaun's work looks very good. Thanks again for Shaun posting them.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan.uk; 07-02-2012 at 12:37 PM.

I received my items from Shaun. Excellent work !!!! Many thanks Shaun. Gaspare