Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bonomelli's LOST twin cam engine

Thx for the reply Biancaneve,

It looks like this request went thru ACI , not any of the country itselfs dept.'s (although obviously ACI has access). In trying to remember , I believe it was actually vipergruen who posted once regarding old IT reg. records access. Do you , or vipergruen if he sees this , know about if a vehicle has been out of the system currently ........and possibly for a long time.......are any records retained today ?

Actually, ACI (Automobil Club d'Italia) has the responsibility to manage the PRA (Pubblico Registro Automobilistico) which is the centralised national register. Actually, I have never tried to check for a car which is not any longer registered, but I guess you can find them because they keep the records. We just need to try
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

The digitalized archives in the form posted by biancaneve are updated to circa 20 years ago, all the previous records survive and can be researched by sending someone to dig out the paperwork, via a specialized agency. It costs circa 30/50 eur and can lead to the complete chronological history of ownership of a car. I did it for a few guys over here.
    Obviously, all the important race cars have been already researched...

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Andrea 70,

Is Ennio Bonomelli still alive? I'm working on a history of Porsche racing for David Bull, and Norbert Singer always considered Bonomelli a thorn in his side and an angel at the same time. At Monza, moments before the start of the race, Bonomelli protested the rear wing Norbert had mounted on the RSR. Thinking on his feet, Norbert proposed to FIA scrutineers they change the car's class to prototype and, incredibly, they did. That allowed the factory RSR to win overall and Bonomelli to take his class. I'd love to talk to him and to his chief mechanic when I go back to Europe this fall?

Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by RLeffingwell View Post
    Andrea 70,

Is Ennio Bonomelli still alive? I'm working on a history of Porsche racing for David Bull, and Norbert Singer always considered Bonomelli a thorn in his side and an angel at the same time. At Monza, moments before the start of the race, Bonomelli protested the rear wing Norbert had mounted on the RSR. Thinking on his feet, Norbert proposed to FIA scrutineers they change the car's class to prototype and, incredibly, they did. That allowed the factory RSR to win overall and Bonomelli to take his class. I'd love to talk to him and to his chief mechanic when I go back to Europe this fall?

Thanks very much.
    Wow, I knew that story but not that it was him. Looking forward to the book.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by RLeffingwell View Post
    Andrea 70,
    Is Ennio Bonomelli still alive? I'm working on a history of Porsche racing for David Bull, ....
    Thanks very much.
    Welcome to the Early 911 S Registry forum Randy!
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

Thumbs up

Cheers Randy, welcome.........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Randy, Ennio Bonomelli died quite young in 1982.

His chief mechanic was Carlo Noce, again a very talented mechanic that founded "Sportwagen" in Sassuolo, specialized in race-preparation of Porsches from mid-70s to the 80s. I think he went through some form of bankruptcy and fled Italy in the '90s, possibly to central America.
    The comments of Norbert Singer don't surprise very much, in italian circles Bonomelli has always been known to be very capable but also able to "bend" the rules as much as possible.
    For example, as already reported, at the 1969 Targa Florio his 911 (GT-class) was faster than the official Porsche-entered 911R (proto-class!) but was disqualified for "illegal valve gear".
    Another good history is at the 1972 Targa Florio when the two 911s entered by Brescia Corse were apparently "stolen" just before the race. One was quickly recovered in a small road nearby (Gottifredi-Pica) and went on to win the Gt class and 5th OA, beating all the other Porsche 911s and the semi-official Strahle 914/6 GT. Seems that mr. Bonomelli was then advised, in a very sicilian way, to keep calm that his car (that was faster in practice than the other) will be recovered by the evening or the next morning. In any case, after the race.

Regards,
    Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Porsche had a twin OHC engine in the late 60s..... Type 916 only a few were made. A couple were raced in R's
    The Tapiro was an early Guiguiaro design on a 914 6 chassis

Quote Originally Posted by rory gallagher View Post
    Porsche had a twin OHC engine in the late 60s..... Type 916 only a few were made. A couple were raced in R's
    The Tapiro was an early Guiguiaro design on a 914 6 chassis
    But that was only 2 valve.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425