Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.4E to 2.7RS spec

Quote Originally Posted by silver911 View Post
    The case was machined to accept the 2.7 P+Cs.. along with mods for greater oil flow (I think..)
    Yes the case needs machining so it is not reversible back to 2.4 and I also had oil flow modifications "while we were there" including a turbo oil pump although i understand the trick upgrade in this area now is a GT3 oil pump
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Yes the case needs machining so it is not reversible back to 2.4 and I also had oil flow modifications "while we were there" including a turbo oil pump although i understand the trick upgrade in this area now is a GT3 oil pump
    I wouldn't put a GT3 oil pump in as this would mean way to much oil pressure, especially for the Mag-engines. Put in a 964 (or the very similar 930) pump and you are done.

Cheers,
    Christian
    RGruppe #649
    Early911S #1788

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    ....it is not reversible back to 2.4 a.....
    Even if you could go back.... would you?

Really???

I don't think so....

member #1515
    I have the 930 pump in mine also, I'm sure one of the newer pumps would be better. The biggest difference for me from the 2.4S spec was the phenomenal torque. I stayed with my S ratios so it's quite quick acceleration. I wonder how much more torque the E would get, you'd save on the heads and throttle bodies.
    I sure wish this 9.5 pistons had been readily available when I did my conversion (1982). It sure didn't affect the durability or reliability of the motor. I would never go back.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

So I'm guessing here but if you leave the E cams in the rev limit stays the the same?

member #1515
    If you are upgrading to forged pistons instead of cast (which I believe were stock to the e) and went with some stiffer valve springs you could possibly go higher, but the cams would not produce much at the higher limit.
    But I'm not an engine builder please seek professional help.
    David

With the 2.7 torque/power curves the 7100 limit provides a good excuse to use all it...
    However it does feel a bit breathless on the track.

For my use of the car the additional 200 rpm would increase my familiarity with the local law enforcement cameras...

If you're buying Mahle P+C's then you may as well buy the 2.8 versions. I have them in my rally car and its a fantastic motor.

Cost difference was negligible when I was buying (via EBS).

I also have the GT3 oil pump and no issues with excessive pressures.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

member #1515
    I thought the 2.8's used completely different heads, and if we used them with S heads the compression ratio would be above 10.5, then you need twin ignition. I think 2.8 really pushes the mag block just a bit to far.
    David

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    At what point do you need to do external oil coolers? I've heard 2.4 is about the max before going to the front coolers. Any truth to this?