Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Part / casting Number, 2.2S Nitrated rods ?

Part / casting Number, 2.2S Nitrated rods ?

Does anyone have the part / casting numbers for the 2.2S nitrated Rods ?

A picture would be even better ! Thanks in advance

Dave

Dave - relevant numbers are:

casting no - 911 103 103 0R

part no - 911.103.013.21*

photo (courtesy of Armando S):

Name:  7690041946_c407d50618_b.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  396.5 KB

Incidentally, the correct term for the heat-treating is nitriding - Bruce Anderson's use of the term 'nitrating' is incorrect.

* last 2 digits can be in range 21-28 depending on weight grouping
    Last edited by andyjboy; 08-01-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Isn't the casting no. for both the stock and nitrided rods the same? The only tell is their color?

Richard

Yes, casting number was the same
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks Andy,

Are the rods pictured, stock 2.2S rods, or are there other casting, part numbers for the 2.2S engine ?

The search engine is not my friend on this matter.

Dave

I apologise for being picky but these rods are almost certainly manufactured from Closed Die Drop Forgings rather then castings.

Casting would have inherent issues with regard to fatigue life and notch sensitivity.

Cast Structures (even steel castings) tend to have relatively poor properties due to grain size and cooling directionality which would make them unsuitable for high performance engines. Hot work reductions of around 50% are needed to break up cast structures and produce the properties normally associated with wrought materials.

Cast rods tend to be used on low speed compressors and generator drives which don't rev beyond 3000 rpm.

I agree with Andy's comments about Nitrating being incorrect, there are many good metallurgical reasons why trying to introduce nitrates into a material would be problematic.

Unfortunately the term Nitriding is also subject to some confusion and contradicition.

Classical Nitriding is a well established process that has been used for many years. It offers significant improvements in performance with regard to surface hardness, reduction in coefficient of friction as nitrided layers are Oleophilic and most importantly fatigue life.

Traditionally nitriding was carried out in a Gaseous atmosphere of cracked Ammonia. Nitrogen was diffused into the surface of a suitable steel and reaction with certain element produced various nitrides. These nitrides created significant residual compressive stresses resulting in the improvement of mechanical properties.

Not all steels, however, are suitable for Nitriding. The classical material is EN40B which is UK specification for a Ni/Cr/Mo steel typically used for race crankshafts.

More basic carbon steels tend to be unsuitable as they predominantly form Iron Nitrides which are brittle in nature and tend to spall off a component that is subjected to bending or twisting.

Nitriding is also a relatively low temperature process which helps to reduce distortion - typical temperatures would be 950 to 1000 degF.

There is also another process known commercially as Soft Nitriding - this process is more correctly described as ferritic nitrocarburising.

Its properties, whilst beneficial, are a long way short of traditional nitriding but is does provide enhanced scuff resistance and some very small improvement in fatigue life.

It is also a relativley low temperature process, it is normally carried out using a Salt Bath and it works with virtually all steels.

Historically the process using this technology were known as Tuftriding, Tenifer and Melonite.

Many companies still offer 'Salt Bath Nitiriding' and new diffucion process have given some improvements compared to the older cyanide based treatments but IMHO they still fall along way short of traditional Gas Nitriding.

It also explains some old issues with Porsche parts.

Standard Forged Porsche Cranks are Tenifer treated. They were never 'nitrided. They are made from a basic medium carbon steel.

If you re-heat treat them after grinding send them to someone that can either Melonite treat or Tuftride them. Don't send them for gas nitriding as you may end up with the surface flaking off.

The S rods were almost certainly Tenifer treated (This process was also used for blacking Glock pistols)

Its fatigue benefit on a part such as a conrod would be minimal and with the developments in Shot Peening than tahe taken place in the last 30 years this is a much more appropriate process.

The 'Motorsport' Rocker Shafts used on the solid rockers (906, RSR, 935 etc) were also Tenifer treated as the rocker arms were prodcued wihout bushes.

Sorry to hijack the thread and bang on but I find the metallurgy is just too compelling to ignore.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 08-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Well, I'll likely be torched and flamed for this, but I'll put it out there anyway. I worked Porsche parts back in the 70's, and I never saw 2.2S rods; never saw a part# for them, either. The 2 liter S black rods are out there, and well documented, but I'm pretty sure all 2.2 rods are the same, unless they came from the racing dept. I know that Armando and his buddy Karl have shown some black 2.2 type rods, but I don't think they came out of a production car.

Chris, to the best of my knowledge Tufftriding was banned here in the states many years ago. I know that in the eighties we used to send cranks for Tufftriding to a place in St Louis. Supposedly that was banned in the early nineties. We can get gas nitriding done here locally though, so that's what we do now.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

Melonite treatments are still available and 'Tuftriding' style treatments which don't use cyanide based salts are now well established.

Sursulf®, ARCOR®, Tuftride®, Melonite® , Tenifer®, QPQ® & OPO® are all still available and all can be classified basically as ferritic nitrocarburising. These processes use salt baths but there are also gaseous processes available such as Nitrotec and I am sure there are several other vatiations.

All these process produce compond layers of typically a few microns thickness - typically 5-10 but maybe could be up to 30-40 in extreme cases.

Recent changes in this process have introduced a 'diffusion' layer which is thicker (up to 1mm) but has less overall benefit and is nothing like as effective as the layer thickness of a Gas Nitrided part.

There are claims of surface hardnesses of up to 1500Hv but I would be sceptical about some of these claims as most of the published data shows much lower figures.

The data that is generally missing from 'Tuftriding' articles is the effect on fatigue life. There are many claims but little hard data.

I am sure that Tutftriding and similar processes are very valuable for parts that need scuff resistance and some other related properties and it is common practice for the treatment of cranks.I think Porsche cranks are CK45 for example and Tuftriding would be ideal.

Gas Nitriding plain carbon steels is risky for two reasons. The lack of suitable alloy additions means that Epsilon iron nitrides tend to form and whilst they are reasonably hard they are very brittle - hence surfaces tend to spall.

The diffusion layers of plain carbon steels also tend to the limited in terms of depth and hardness making the outer layers more likely to crack. Compound layers can be up to 2mm in depth.

Also the gas nitiriding process can take ra relatively long time at temperature and unalloyed steels can suffer from a embrittlement due to this process. The addition of Molybdenum tends to remove this risk and also assists with Gamma Iron Nitride formation.

The point I was trying to make was that if you don't know the material Tufride rather than nitride.

4140 can just about be gas nitrided but with some care.

4340 is a bit better and would be my border line material.

EN40B is ideal for cranks.

CK45 is less than ideal and I would avoid Traditional Gas Nitriding.
    Last edited by chris_seven; 08-02-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    Well, I'll likely be torched and flamed for this, but I'll put it out there anyway. I worked Porsche parts back in the 70's, and I never saw 2.2S rods; never saw a part# for them, either. The 2 liter S black rods are out there, and well documented, but I'm pretty sure all 2.2 rods are the same, unless they came from the racing dept. I know that Armando and his buddy Karl have shown some black 2.2 type rods, but I don't think they came out of a production car.
    That's very interesting David - I've often wondered about this as I've never seen a separate/specific part number for an 'S' version of the 2.2 rods either ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105