Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSR Sway Bars

RSR Sway Bars

Help - Please

I am trying to sort out my confusion with RSR Front and Rear Sway Bars.

I understand that the RSR used 18mm, 20mm and 22mm Front Through Body Sway Bars and that these Bars were also fitted to the rear.

I believe that the 18mm bar was identical to that used on the front of the early Turbo.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the square used on the Turbo bars ?

The RSR Front Drop Link Lever has Part Number 911.343.074.00 and only one part is shown on the 2.8 RSR parts list. There is no rear drop link shown.

If a 22mm bar had a square profile at the end then the square hole in the drop link would need to be about 23 x 23mm and it would be quite difficult to upset forge an 18mm bar to a square of this size and it would seem that more than one lever would be needed.

The alternative is that the 20 and 22mm bars were machined down to a square on the end and could use the same lever.

I have been told that this is how the 20 and 20mm bars were made but I am not 100% confident that this is true and I have never seen genuine photographs.

Does anyone have definitive information about these different bars?

The 3.0RSR Parts List doesn't show a part number for a Front Drop Link Lever but shows a Rear Drop Link with the same Part Number as the 2.8 RSR Components.

The 911 SCRS parts list also shows this drop link for the front suspension but only a 17mm and 18mm Sway Bars are listed.

In the aftermarket there are several 'kits' available that all claim to be 100% accurate and have a cost of about $1000 per end.

The kits I have seen appear to have significantly different Drop Link Levers front and rear - the rear link being much longer.

Does anyone have any genuine Drop Link Levers to measure?

At around $2000 for the pair I want to be 100% confident to buy the correct parts.

I also notice that most of the re-manufactured kits don't have the small tubes, that form the misalignment spacers, welded into the levers.

RSR sway bars

Chris
    I have the whole set up off my 1973 factory RSR. General situation - Both front and rear bars are identical except for the size, 18,19,20,mm etc. length and size of the square ends are the same. The arms are all the same, the front drops are about 6 inches long, rears are about 2.5 inches. Spacers for alignment are aluminum and are inserted as needed. Both the front and rear holders for the Delrand bushings are similar, but completely different from a street car. The Delrand bushings are hard, not like the street rubber bushings. They are bored to match the size of the bar. I can supply pictures and measurements if needed. I also have some extra pieces I think.

Mike
    Mike

Mike,

Thanks,

The front lever arms that I have are 190mm end to end.

If you have time to measure the square on the 18mm bar I would be very grateful.

Does any one have an 18mm Turbo bar as a comparison.

Thanks again

Chris

RSR Sway Bars

Andrew
    My 18mm, & 22mm bar is 20mm X 20mm on the end.
    The length of my arms is 191mm just like yours. I have attached pictures of the arms, rear brackets, and the round front brackets. I have Delran bushings but couldn't get to them. If you need pictures I will dig them out.

Mike Curnow
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Mike

18 mm Turbo Bar

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post

Mike,

Thanks,

The front lever arms that I have are 190mm end to end.

If you have time to measure the square on the 18mm bar I would be very grateful.

Does any one have an 18mm Turbo bar as a comparison.

Thanks again

Chris
    Hi Chris,

I have an early Turbo 18 mm through the body style front sway bar. The square ends measure 20 x 20 mm. The arms look similar to a 15 mm arm, but the 18 mm version is larger and reinforced.

It is my understanding that the early Turbo (1975 - 77) 18 mm front sway bar is the same part number as the 1973 Carrera RS.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    Andrew
    My 18mm, & 22mm bar is 20mm X 20mm on the end.
    The length of my arms is 191mm just like yours. I have attached pictures of the arms, rear brackets, and the round front brackets. I have Delran bushings but couldn't get to them. If you need pictures I will dig them out.

Mike Curnow
    Mike thank you that is great information.

I can scale the Delrin bushes from the information that I have so there is no need to dig them out.

The round front brackets and the rear brackets look as if they may be made from Aluminium.

I would be grateful if you could confirm this.

The end size of the bars in interesting and means that the 20mm bar as the 18mm must also have forged ends.

Most of the aftermarket bars that I have seen appear to have squares welded on the end and I am not sure that this is a good idea - with the possible exception of friction welding.

I am going to look at the possibility of having some 18mm bar upest forged.

It is a pain as 18mm is not a common diameter so I will have to start by centreless grinding some 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Hi Chris,

I have an early Turbo 18 mm through the body style front sway bar. The square ends measure 20 x 20 mm. The arms look similar to a 15 mm arm, but the 18 mm version is larger and reinforced.

It is my understanding that the early Turbo (1975 - 77) 18 mm front sway bar is the same part number as the 1973 Carrera RS.
    Bert,

I was not aware that the RS had an 18mm bar but we have a Lightweight locally so I will go and look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris_seven View Post
    Bert,

I was not aware that the RS had an 18mm bar but we have a Lightweight locally so I will go and look.

Thanks
    I believe that the non-lightweight RS came stock with 15mm bars, and that 18mm (19mm rear?) was an option. Several RSL cars have the larger bars. On the RSR, 18mm was stock, 20mm and 22mm were optional.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Chris
    The front and rear brackets are both aluminum weldments. I can measure them if you want, and draw up a non- draftsman blueprint. It will be crude, like a Picasso stick man. I will dig out the bushings since I need to find out where they wandered off to. They are more elaborate than you might think. For instance, they are split, not one piece.

Mike
    Mike

Mike, that would be very helpful, and dimensions would save much guess work.

I can understand why the Delrin parts will be complex.

We have already started the 3-D models for the Sway Bars, Drop Link Levers and Drop Links and I just ordered a batch of Control Arm Reinforcing Plates which we modelled a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by a911s View Post
    I believe that the non-lightweight RS came stock with 15mm bars, and that 18mm (19mm rear?) was an option. Several RSL cars have the larger bars. On the RSR, 18mm was stock, 20mm and 22mm were optional.
    Thanks for this information Randy. Do you happen to know the part number for the 18 mm front sway bar used on the RSL and RSR cars?

Or anyone else with an RS parts list?
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167