Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Badge Placement for 66 rear trunk deck

Comparison of 53 - 46 mm

Great comparison Richard. Good stuff. I've never seen the two put side by side.

The holes would have to be at a different positions to get the badge to the same angle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

We seem to be doing everything but answer the guy's question, so here goes.
    Dimensions from an unmolested 1967 MY 2.0 swb with the scripts per the photo early in the thread.

PORSCHE badge - 4 holes, unevenly spaced. LH hole is 242mm from LH edge and 80mm from bottom edge - both measurements following contour of the lid on the upper surface. 2nd hole 154mm to right of hole one, then 62mm and 120mm. These last three measurements are less accurate as its hard to place the hole positions from above and not easy to measure from below due to the brace etc., so when you have a badge I'd drill hole one and place the other from the badge itself.

911 angled. - Lower hole 135mm from lower lip and 135mm from RH edge. Upper hole 150mm up from lip and 95mm from RH edge. 46mm between holes.

Hope this helps. I think you are doing the right thing - these arely badges look the business in my view,

Mick

Thanks for the picture Richard - it really clarifies.

Mick - exactly what I need. Thank you. This board is great.

Quote Originally Posted by MTemp View Post
    We seem to be doing everything but answer the guy's question, so here goes.
    Dimensions from an unmolested 1967 MY 2.0 swb with the scripts per the photo early in the thread.

911 angled. - Lower hole 135mm from lower lip and 135mm from RH edge. Upper hole 150mm up from lip and 95mm from RH edge. 46mm between holes.

Mick
    I measured it on my car (June 66). By approx.

Lower hole 143mm from lower lip and 135mm from RH edge. Upper hole 154mm up from lip and 93mm from RH edge. 46mm between holes.

Because of the curve of the rear lid is it hard to measure w/ a metal measuring tape for the verticals.

Now that you know it of two cars you might be able to see traces of the original holes in your lid.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    ...Now that you know it of two cars you might be able to see traces of the original holes in your lid. Richard
    Hmm. Could I just get reference points on the badges from someone, and not the hole locations, given there seems to be hole placement variation?

Im thinking for the lower badge, just the dimension from the leading bottom edge of lid to the bottom of badge - I assume it's simply centered left to right. For the 911 script badge, in from the lids right edge to the top tip of the second "1" and a second dimension up from bottom lid edge to bottom tip of the "9". That should get it pretty darn close.

The suggestion to find the original holes is a good one, but my lid does not have old holes - it is from a year or two later, with the wider spaced letters along the bottom - the holes for which are being filled. I am redoing a second lid. I want keep the first lid as-is, so the car can have 2 different looks.

These measurement points should give a accurate location.
    A = the longest
    B = second longest
    C = third longest
    D = shortest

(That free IKEA paper metric/inch tape measure is a marvelous take home. It fits curves so nicely).
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Quote Originally Posted by Bobs 67S View Post
    These measurement points should give a accurate location.
    A = the longest
    B = second longest
    C = third longest
    D = shortest
    Sorry to be a pest, but I still don't get it. Don't I need a dimension here? How for from the bottom trunk lip edge is the bottom of the PORSCHE badge? But even with knowing that, can't the length of "A" be highly variable depending on the angle and where you set its length? And even then I still don't know "D".

Luke, the diagram is where the angled 911 badge measurements can be taken so we all are measuring the same thing.

The two "911" badges have different pin dimension but they should be on the lid in the same place. (We would think).
    The triangle should give an accurate placing and also give the angle of the badge.

The PORSCHE's four studs are centered about 80 mm from the bottom of the lid. (The 1964 lid is at a different measure 85 mm). And the "P" stud is 239 mm from the left edge. (The 1964 is at 240 mm)

(If you have done patterns before disregard the following):
    Make a pattern from light card stock (a manilla folder). Press the studs into the card stock and draw cross hairs.
    Center punch from the pattern into a second card stock and punch holes with a small leather punch. Proof and Verify the spacing prior to
    center punching the metal. Adjust the pattern as needed.

Tape a level line 78 and 80mm up from the bottom onto the lid, lay the badge upside down and measure both left and right to center on the lid.
    Verify the "P" stud is 239 or adjust as needed. Use the taped level line to position your pattern, Tape the pattern (top edge) onto the lid to align the studs and the starting hole. (remove the taped level line). Lightly punch the metal. Drill pilot holes, verify stud fitting and drill holes to allow for primer and paint but not much larger.
    It would be prudent to have the placement verified on cars from 1965/66 to be sure these are the same dimensions. My car is a 1964 car and Butzi may have changed it. This car did not have a 911 badge from the factory so my placement had to have been added at a later date. and it's location is suspect.
    I'll check on the 1965 and report back.

Update posted 8-29-2012
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 08-29-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Updated badge measurments

Luke, here are the dimensions from a April 1965 lid, car is number 30095x. They are different that the previous post (numbers revised) as the 1964 lid may be earlier than a production part.

This is for the 53 mm angled 911. The mm position on the lid is:
    A 395
    B 282
    C 220
    D 128

Just for the hole position: lower hole is 136 up and 132 to edge. Upper hole is 162 up and 92 to edge.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

The PORSCHE badge is being measured from a curved edge and each height is slightly longer/shorter. The far left hole is 78 mm up and 239 from the left edge. Spacing is 153, 76 and 115 to the other holes. The right hole (behind the "E") is 80 mm up from the edge. Holes are in a straight line.

Be sure you measure from the badge you have in hand. It is cast in two pieces and pined together. Each badge may have variations to the four pins spacing and alignment.
    Last edited by Bobs 67S; 08-29-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370